Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you identify this line/k1/

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/309494d1462970601-can-you-identify-line-k1-815811f6872841acb3850f8454e1a474-1-.jpg
first shot with k1 with fa 31 it appears a line in left shoulder
what is this
is it lens or sensor issue!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is clearly not a lens issue, i'm afraid to say it's the sensor - there is a possibility this could also be a memory card issue.
05-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Could be a bad memory card. Did you format the memory card in the camera before use?
05-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Could be memory card or some sort of problem with writing. Try another memory card
Could also be sensor issue, I guess. Difficult to say, but if you bring the camera back to the shop I suggest you demand an exchange. Not a repair.
And try Live view. Does the line appear in live view? In video mode?

Oh, also, check the back of the lens and the camera mount. Just make sure there is no string or spider web hanging on there. Slim chance that this is the problem, but good idea to check anyway.

05-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #5

If it's a sensor problem it would likely show in the same place on most if not all your images. Try taking more test images with dark images in the same area of the frame. Try it with a different lens if you have one too. Did you shoot RAW? Is the line there when you view the RAW file (not the embedded JPEG)?
05-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If it is a sensor issue, it should be visible in every image, and with every card you use.

Try a few shots at high ISO with a dark background and see if it recurs.

It does look to me like a sensor issue. I had a similar line appear once in a Fuji point and shoot, and it was confirmed as a sensor flaw. It's a rare problem nowadays but it happens.

You could also try the pixel mapping feature in the camera menu [Setup menu 4] to map out any defective pixels, if that is the problem, and see if that makes a diffeence.
05-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You could also try the pixel mapping feature in the camera menu [Setup menu 4] to map out any defective pixels, if that is the problem, and see if that makes a diffeence.
That many defective pixels (~1000+) would be reason to return the camera, IMHO. Mapping them would remove them from active use for image formation and may make it difficult to demonstrate the problem if the OP wishes to return the camera.

Steve

05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That many defective pixels (~1000+) would be reason to return the camera, IMHO. Mapping them would remove them from active use for image formation and may make it difficult to demonstrate the problem if the OP wishes to return the camera.
I agree. Do not use pixel mapping yet. Only if the shop and Ricoh refuse to fix it and you decide not to send it in for repairs at your own cost, in worst worst case scenario, then you might want to use pixel mapping. Its the final thing you can do if no other solution shows up.

But do your own tests first, then show it at the store you bought it and demand another copy, and if that doesn't work contact local Pentax, then Ricoh Pentax Japan.
05-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all
I have changed the SD card.now the line is disappear.

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 09:06 AM ----------

Thanks all
05-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to create a hate list of certain brands of SD cards...
Lexar is on my list and is sitting at the number 1 spot at the moment.
05-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Thanks all

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 09:06 AM ----------

Thanks all
I am happy to read this! I hope this is the last problem you have with your K-1!

Steve
05-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Time to create a hate list of certain brands of SD cards... Lexar is on my list and is sitting at the number 1 spot at the moment.
Wait, you think Lexar is good, or bad?

Usually Sandisk is considered #1, Lexar #2. I have a list of some that I avoid (Panasonic, Sony,..) and some that I am, so far, neutral (Verbatim, Transcend).

Anyway, I'm glad things got resolved. I hope everything works well. When you buy a good camera, you should also buy good SD cards for it (fast, from reputable brand, from a trustworthy store - there were cases where people got fakes after buying online)
05-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am happy to read this! I hope this is the last problem you have with your K-1!

Steve
thanks so much Steeve