Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice review - found it on FB too.

I've only fiddled with WiFi so far. I think when the 3rd wheel is thumbed to the right WiFi turns on and left turns it off - but I also thought the behavior was erratic at first. More experimentation called for.
Totally off topic but that Blues logo brings back fond memories of my stint in StL (even though I practically got booed out of ScottTrade when I was wearing my Kings Jersey at a Blues/Kings game ).

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I tested AF.S with 70mm ltd at local nursery. It's great! Focus/recompose is a joy with sensitive shutter button. Adjusting ISO, exposure compensation, and metering between shots is so convenient, and makes it fast and easy. It just takes the learning curve to feel that K-1 was build with creative photography in mind.
And SR is just totally amazing.
Here is one drawback actually, I'm not so crazy about vintage glass like before, so it triggers NLBA.
Did you use that DA 70mm in uncropped mode? How was the vignetting and corner performance? I am actually thinking hard about the 70mm as opposed to the 77 for the K-1 if I can use it as a FF lens.

05-13-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A couple of things I "don't get"? My shutter button is perfect....half press and you get focus..instantly...full press and you have the shot. It feels solid and there is nothing mushy about it. Smooth and easy...perfect. Maybe he did have a bad one?
I think mushy isn't the best descriptor. I think continuous vs two step is better. APSC Pentax bodies had a clearly defined, two step shutter button. Step 1 is AF, a light depression of the shutter button before hitting a physical barrier. Step two is shutter release, pressing past the barrier, feeling a physical "click".
The K-1 is more ambiguous and contiguous. There's no clear, tactile definition of where the half-way press for AF ends and full press for shutter release begins. It's all one continuous feeling button.

Does yours feel this way Rupert or does yours feel the same as other Pentax DSLRs?
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A couple of things I "don't get"? My shutter button is perfect....half press and you get focus..instantly...full press and you have the shot. It feels solid and there is nothing mushy about it. Smooth and easy...perfect. Maybe he did have a bad one?

Second, he left the AF question unanswered. I can't imagine this! The AF on the K1 is so fast and accurate, it is simply amazing. No Pentax I have ever owned even comes close. Since this is a most asked question, he should have addressed it, in my opinion.

I mainly shoot with my big ol' slow Bigma HSM OS and for many years and many Pentax bodies I have struggled with Bigma focus. They hunt like an old lazy hound. I've learned many new cuss words over the years to address the shots I've missed trying to gain focus...in particular in low light.

So you might imagine how absolutely amazed I was to find that my Bigma is now as fast as a cat and accurate too...even in low light. No hunting, no delay, just fast and easy!

The new SR is just as amazing.....simply wonderful...but this entire camera is wonderful, and that is no BS or hype. Try one and you will quickly agree!

A wet and dark morning.....Focused instantly!

1/100 handheld f7.1 @ 500mm ISO 10,000 - No noise reduction in or out of camera.

Now imagine good light, ISO 100 and a fast shutter speed and stopped down a little......you get the idea!

People ask me..."Rupert, are you some kind of newfangled K1 fanboy?" Damn right I am!

Regards!
Hey Rupert, article author here. Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Regarding the shutter I'm taking the camera back to the store on Saturday to compare it against other bodies to see if the 'mushy' is the same. I've heard a few people on the forum here and on FB mention the same thing, and some the same as you saying it's nice and "sharp" like the K3. Will see what's going on there. It's probably not a big enough deal to exchange it or complain, but it's noticeably different to me.

Regarding the AF you're right, I kinda ignored that, mostly because the situations that I'm shooting aren't very fast moving. People in studio don't move that much (unless I'm chasing them) and I haven't had a chance to shoot a wedding or children or sports with it (yet), so all I can really say is that it felt fine and as good or better than the K-3, but still not as instant and decisive as I've felt on C/N equivalents. I did NOT notice a huge improvement shooting in low light in the clubs, but that might be partly because of the new LCD implementation doesn't have a nice bright red light to see exactly where the focus point is (or my eyes are getting worse as I get older, that's more likely the reason to be honest).

The review was mostly "here are thoughts about some parts of the camera I've noticed"

And yes, the SR is close to magic, but coming from the world of Pentax it's something that's gotten better, and is not a new revelation that it might be for someone coming to the system from C/N, I should have remembered that to emphasise it a bit more!

-- Alan
05-13-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arcterex Quote
Hey Rupert, article author here. Thanks a lot for your feedback!
I appreciate your reply and your review...which was excellent, excepting the things I noted. Check out that shutter....as I stated mine seems perfect but it is a little different than past Pentax bodies.

As for AF...I'm mostly a still shooter, don't do sports or BIF....but if you have read what I said about my Bigma then you understand my excitement. I expect a fast lens would be very capable on the K1.

Obviously you have a ton more experience and skill than I do and that means a lot when doing a review. My "reviews" are more oriented to the "little people" like me that can still gain a ton with the K1 for "ordinary" shooting.

I shoot a lot of squirrels...and I can safely say this is a "squirrel shooting machine"!

Best Regards & Thanks again for your review!

05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
Honestly I got used to checking everything on the main LCD of the K-30, to the point that I never really used the little top LCD on my K-3. It is nice for nighttime shooting, so you don't have to view the bright LCD, but I am not at all disappointed in the smaller LCD (I can understand why some are, who rely on it) and am super-excited about a dedicated ISO (etc.) wheel!
For whatever reason, I never check exposures remaining in the VF..
I always check(ed) that on the top LCD..
05-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just had a concentrated play with the K-3 and K-1'shutter buttons. My conclusion is - both have a two-step actuation, with a distinct 'shelf' that stops depression at the 'half-press' point, then a positive press through to actuate the shutter. The big difference is, K-1 has less resistance throughout the travel at both positions and requires less positive force to press thought the AF resistance point.

On K-1 it seems easier to 'squeeze' the shutter release, as you would a rifle trigger, to reduce the 'bump' you often see novices use.
05-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just had a concentrated play with the K-3 and K-1'shutter buttons. My conclusion is - both have a two-step actuation, with a distinct 'shelf' that stops depression at the 'half-press' point, then a positive press through to actuate the shutter. The big difference is, K-1 has less resistance throughout the travel at both positions and requires less positive force to press thought the AF resistance point.

On K-1 it seems easier to 'squeeze' the shutter release, as you would a rifle trigger, to reduce the 'bump' you often see novices use.
I notice the two-step shuttle release in the K-1 with more analysis. It is very subtle by comparison to Pentax APSC bodies.

05-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Definitely has a squishy shutter release. I don't own a K-1 nor have I ever seen one in person, but it simply looks squishy and mamsy-pansy to me. We will adjust, I expect.

Steve

(...could not resist the bit of sarcasm...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-13-2016 at 03:46 PM.
05-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Isn't that what the rear screen is for?
No, that is what the top LCD is for. At least that is how I use it. (Back LCD is almost always turned off on my camera...causes bad vibes when shooting at night or in a music venue.)

Steve
05-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Reminds me a bit of the A7r's shutter button.
That bad? That truly sucks.

Steve
05-13-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Real men back button AF anyway
05-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Real men back button AF anyway
I wasn't going there first.
05-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I agree the K-1 release has a positive stop for half press.
I first thought the comments about 'mush' referred to the half press. No mush there.

I suppose I did notice the.. mush earlier today (and before reading comments re: mush) taking care using a fairly slow shutter. I wondered when the shutter would trip. Playing with it now, I think the action is better than on the K5...

The K5 shutter is more clicky like one of the 4-way controller buttons.

All this 'mush' talk has brought to mind Linda R. singing 'I've Got A crush On You'...
The world will pardon my mush... I've got a crush on --you-- well, a crush on the camera or using the camera or ice cream, of course.

Last edited by Tan68; 05-13-2016 at 06:20 PM.
05-14-2016, 02:26 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arcterex Quote
-- Alan
Dude, PetaPixel. Nice!

A Real World Review of the Pentax K-1