Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #1

Can't get the exposure meter to activate?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the pentax digital systems.

I'm having an issue I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a set of medium format manual focus lenses in Mamiya mount that I have had for years. I have successfully adapted these to work on cameras like the 5d II, d800e, and a fuji x pro1. I've never had an issue with these lenses until I got the K-1. I do have a good adapter to mate the lenses to the body, but for some reason, I cannot under any circumstances get the camera to show the exposure meter. This seems to go against most other camera makers, where when the camera is active the meter sits there and works when you half press the shutter or similar setup, reading through the stopped down lens. I understand that the lens would be used in manual only mode, and stop down metering would be in effect, but I can't get the camera to meter using either the optical viewfinder or the live view function. Am I missing some function buried in a menu somewhere?

I know it's an off the beaten path type of question, but any help would be appreciated!

05-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a k mount lens available for testing? If so first verify the camera is working properly.
05-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pigtango Quote
Hi,

I'm having an issue I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a set of medium format manual focus lenses in Mamiya mount that I have had for years. I have successfully adapted these to work on cameras like the 5d II, d800e, and a fuji x pro1. I've never had an issue with these lenses until I got the K-1. I do have a good adapter to mate the lenses to the body, but for some reason, I cannot under any circumstances get the camera to show the exposure meter. This seems to go against most other camera makers, where when the camera is active the meter sits there and works when you half press the shutter or similar setup, reading through the stopped down lens. I understand that the lens would be used in manual only mode, and stop down metering would be in effect, but I can't get the camera to meter using either the optical viewfinder or the live view function. Am I missing some function buried in a menu somewhere?

I know it's an off the beaten path type of question, but any help would be appreciated!
Switch to manual and press green button. Exposure changed or not?
05-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pigtango Quote
Hi,

You need to change a custom function and ensure that you're in M mode. Instructions below:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
Unregistered User

I was having this trouble with when a manual aperture ring on a lens was not set to "A". I would only get a DOF preview in the viewfinder.