Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift experiment

I did a little experiment this evening to see if the motion correction feature is at all useful for hand held shots of immobile objects. As it happens the nearest thing to hand to focus on was a very nice brew from the West coast of the South Island of NZ

Top image is just a single shot, hand held
Middle image is also hand held, pixel shift on, no motion correction
Bottom image is pixel shift on, motion correction on. Hand held

I saved the images sooc in PDCU5 with the motion correction setting at 'Camera Setting'

Very interesting

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by wizofoz; 05-16-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: changed pdcu4 to 5, added 'hand held' to description of 3rd image. Most importantly, changed location of brewery.
05-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pretty evident that hand-holding isn't viable, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the experiment @wizofoz.

To my eyes it just plays havoc with the bokeh when it's on.

Apart from that it seems best to turn pixel-shift _off_ unless you have it on a tripod or something rock steady.
05-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Right, the bokeh is messed up, and that’s all we can see on a 900 pixel wide picture.

05-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The top picture is the best by a substantial margin.
PC with MC is intended for tripod shots where some subject movement is possible.
05-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first PS image was a mistake
I had been scrolling through the 3 choices for PS in the INFO menu
I left the camera set to one of the PS options, took a picture, reviewed it and thought ??

Failing to turn PS off after using it for an appropriate subject will be the new method of ruining pictures to replace failing to reset EC...

The pictures above serve a purpose for people to judge whether or not to use PS. Handheld, I would have expected no benefit to image quality using PS and thought the first image of the set would be used in its entirety so there would be a penalty of huge file size but my image would not be ruined. Until my accidental image, I wouldn't have thought OOF areas would be so.. mauled.

Well, maybe the picture could be saved if PS is turned off in DCU ?
If so, not as bad as failing to reset EC...
05-16-2016, 03:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting series. I take it the third one was also handheld. While the banding in the third is something you wouldn't contemplate having in a photo, both the resolution and the colour depth seem to be improved with pixel shift and motion correction enabled. Of course, the shutter speeds are low, and the focus point may have shifted over the time involved, so there may be a false impression gained. It would be interesting to see your experiment repeated in brighter light, with a higher shutter speed.

05-16-2016, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please do the same experiment before drinking the bottle of beer so that... oh never mind.
05-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Apart from that it seems best to turn pixel-shift _off_ unless you have it on a tripod or something rock steady.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The top picture is the best by a substantial margin.
I am confused.

Yes, the bokeh is messed up, but aside from that, I can read the writing at the bottom of the bottle in the 3rd photo, which is not clear in the first. Assuming the focus point hasn't changed, how is the "top picture better by a substantial margin"?
05-16-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I am confused.

Yes, the bokeh is messed up, but aside from that, I can read the writing at the bottom of the bottle in the 3rd photo, which is not clear in the first. Assuming the focus point hasn't changed, how is the "top picture better by a substantial margin"?
Well, because the bokeh is completely screwed up.
05-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am confused.

Aside from that?
Sharpness is not particularly important. If you don't understand that by now you may as well give up.
05-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty evident that hand-holding isn't viable, right?
Now there is a challenge suitable for a retired person.....
05-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Now there is a challenge suitable for a retired person.....
Even for the non-retired....
05-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The bottom is the best for the subject, the beer bottle. If out of focus non-subject areas are important then the first is the best. If you are masking the bottle for inclusion in an ad or other graphic type composition the bottom pixel shifted image is the best. This is clearly a case for a kengoh'd image where you paste the bottle into the first image, getting the best of both worlds. The subject of the photos is just flat out better in the third image.
05-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am confused.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Aside from that?
Sharpness is not particularly important. If you don't understand that by now you may as well give up.
Perfect answer Sandy! Everyone knows the subject is never important, just the bokeh! Real Pros can shoot an entire wedding and never get an identifiable shot of the bride and groom....as long as the bokeh is lovely!

Regards!