Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
No I don't. I have requested a quote from insurance and it is way to expensive for accident protection. House insurance protects gear loss at flood or fire, but not for this case. What king of insurance do you guys have for your gear?
Really sorry to hear, I guess at times like this and when I get hurt I am happy to live in sweden. We have an extra insurance in our home insurance called "drulleförsäkring" and can be translated to "cluts insurance" and basically covers almost anything you can do... it costs like $50 a year and covers all the stuff in your home or when on a trip etc. not for theft but for accidental breakage. The decuctible is around $200. I've had mine for 10 years, never had to use it yet. I did however call and make sure I had it before buying the K-1

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
You can get a lot of water out of electronics very quickly using your household vacuum (or better yet, a shop vac).

Open all your camera hatches. Then turn the vacuum on with the hose attachment, and use your index finger and thumb to create a moveable ring seal between the hose and your camera. Apply the suction to every opening or seal, and keep moving it around. Come back to problem spots.

After you've sucked everything you can, then close it in a ziplock bag with the desiccant packets inside and play the waiting game.

I partially recovered a K-5iis after full immersion in a pond for a duration of several seconds (it was dead, dead, dead upon recovery). And I did a bunch of stuff wrong between the dunk and trying this.
Also, putting a vacuum cleaner close to electronics is among the more stupid things you can do... Vacuum cleaners can generate quite a bit of static electricity, and 10K volts in your low voltage equipment is something you want to avoid! I've personally ruined a laptop this way (sucking out dust, I was 15 at the time) and I know others that have ruined electronics aswell

to get rid of dust, water or anything else; use either, compressed air on a can, an electronics cleaner or a gas compressor(make sure the gas compressor is of a type that does not allow oil or water into the air)

05-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think you have the first K-1 parts camera on the market.
I am not that proud of that
05-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"square trade warranty." -- Do I need to buy protection for each item that I want insurance? I saw they sell protection plan for camera unto $3000, so I guess that is for camera only?
As far as I know all of the things need to be purchased new for that and each item individually protected.
05-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as I know all of the things need to be purchased new for that and each item individually protected.
That is what I figured.
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
it costs like $50 a year and covers all the stuff in your home or when on a trip etc. not for theft but for accidental breakage. The decuctible is around $200
That is great! anyone here in US heard any insurance like this? I will switch to tonight!

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 03:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
You can get a lot of water out of electronics very quickly using your household vacuum
I actually didn't see any water inside. Maybe some got inside from the broken part. But the mud wasn't that watery. I believe it died from impact. Putting silicon gel bag was just a try, just in case.
Thank you for your advise!

05-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

A strap could help in this case, but it caused a damaging last year when I was shooting in a wedding. I put the camera with 16-50 mount on a chair when I was using another one with 50-135 on it. then when I tried to grab the one on chair, the strap was partial hooked on the corner of the chair and I dropped the camera. 16-50 touched the grass and the zoom was stuck at ~24mm and AF motor died. I still use the lens for the rest part of wedding in MF model.
How can I damage so many cameras and lenses? I never counted how many accidence I had but apparently I had broken quite a few!
I dropped an FA31 once. Not from a great height, only about a foot, but it needed stripping down and rebuilding, turned out better than new thankfully.

I fear gravity. Mr. Gravity is not kind. I also fear it all getting stolen. Considering the value of the kit now (must be £12k worth, about to increase by another £3.5k) I think it's time to look at insurance. When I consider my old VW is worth about £1500 I shudder at the photographic costs thus far!
05-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This looks interesting:
http://photo.net/info/photo_insurance_specs.pdf
05-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #22

That is great! anyone here in US heard any insurance like this? I will switch to tonight!
Swedish insurance companies are apparently bad at providing english documentation online... But here is what I could find from one insurance company:

liability insurance
When insured personal property is damaged or lost through
a sudden, unforeseen, external event. Provides cover up to
SEK 50,000.

SEK 50,000 is roughly $6000.

I also notice that "liability insurance" seems to mean something else in USA, it seems to be damages to someone else in your house or if you or your pets etc damage other people or stuff that belongs to someone else.

05-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Swedish insurance companies are apparently bad at providing english documentation online... But here is what I could find from one insurance company:

liability insurance
SEK 50,000.

SEK 50,000 is roughly $6000.

I also notice that "liability insurance" seems to mean something else in USA, it seems to be damages to someone else in your house or if you or your pets etc damage other people or stuff that belongs to someone else.
Liability insurance protects you by providing coverage when someone sues you claiming you are liable for damages. At least that's the point in the USA. What does it do in Sweden?
05-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #24

What does it do in Sweden?
I just told you!

liability insurance
SEK 50,000.
05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You aren't kidding that Austin has gotten quite a bit of rain recently. This sounds like a trip to the greenbelt and the super slippery rocks that always seem to be there.
05-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just told you!

liability insurance
SEK 50,000.
Somehow - don't ask me how - I missed that first two word phrase in that post! LOL OK - that makes sense. In your case it insures you against loss - in our case it insures us against lawsuits.
05-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really acted way too fast: I just checked the precision pentax camera repair and noticed K1 wasn't on their repair model list yet...
05-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

If anything.. this reminds me to get a drops and spills style warranty when/if I do go to the K-1

1800 dollar lessons are no fun

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I dropped an FA31 once. Not from a great height, only about a foot, but it needed stripping down and rebuilding, turned out better than new thankfully.

I fear gravity. Mr. Gravity is not kind. I also fear it all getting stolen. Considering the value of the kit now (must be £12k worth, about to increase by another £3.5k) I think it's time to look at insurance. When I consider my old VW is worth about £1500 I shudder at the photographic costs thus far!
You reminded me of this:
05-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

There may be options other than fair trade

I have heard people mention some coverage when things are bought on a credit card. Might check ?

Wouldn't worry about turning it on too soon.
Some in one hand and a bit in the other

Sounds like the camera found a rock embedded in the soil/clay. I dropped that which will remain unnamed onto a rock, but the rock was only slightly embedded in sand so it shifted and gave way. I should have saved that rock...
05-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

As a recent accident damage victim with my K5IIs I can offer my condolence and sincere sympathy...I truly know the heartache. It is a sad story, one I hate to hear.
Best of luck on getting it repaired in a timely manner.

Best Regards
Rupert