Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Pentax K-1 difficulties using legacy manual lenses

Hello everybody,

I'm a previous user of K10, K5 and since recently of K1. I have some collection of manual focus lenses (CZJ, Takumars, few russian lenses and others).

I mounted on my K-1 a CZJ 50mm f1.8 (using Pentax genuine M42-K adapter).
I encountered the following issues:
- focus confirmation does not work(the viewfinder bottom hexagon does not light, no red center spot highlight either. Previously I turned the camera on switched to manual focus, select center spot focusing mode. Nothing
- no screen asking to input focal when turning the camera on
Despite this, I am able to take pictures.

I mounted an Agfa lens 50mm f1.9 (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/225222-agfa...mm-f1-9-a.html). Same 2 problems as above plus the following:
- the F-- indication lights intermittently and I can take no picture when pressing the shutter.

Am I missing something?

The same lenses on K10, K5 work perfectly.
I start having remorse about spending 2000 euros for a camera that does not work as advertised. The possiblity to use my MF lenses collection was one of main purchase reasons.

Thanks in advance

05-17-2016, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the camera settings you need to turn on 'using aperture ring' (no 26).
05-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex2015 Quote
- no screen asking to input focal when turning the camera on
If you miss the screen, you can enter the focal length using the control panel (you may need to add the option to it), or via the main menu.

As for everything else, hopefully the aperture ring setting is all that's needed. If not, then the lenses may be shorting the contacts on the mount. It would be strange if the same didn't happen on your other cameras, though.

On an unrelated note, don't miss out on live view with focus peaking and/or magnification. Combined with the outdoor view setting, this can be an effective supplement/replacement for the viewfinder for obtaining accurate focus while hand-holding.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I admit venturing into playing with the camera without finishing to read all the manual.
Indeed the aperture ring setting was missing
@Adam thanks for the focusing tips, really great features

05-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran into this problem with a Yashica DX 50mm f1.7. Not only would it sporadically not show the focus confirm, or beep; twice when I turned the K-1 in vertical position, the shutter wouldn't re-open.

I hope that it was the M42 short out situation. I changed lenses and couldn't get it to repeat the behavior.

The Yashica does have a larger circumference than the Takumar 50mm M42 that I was able to use with no issues.
I wonder if the K-1's electronics are a little more sensitive, thus the faster auto-focus on some of my older lenses.
05-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Doesn't the focal length screen only show up if you have SR turned On?
And focus confirm (hexagon, overlay) only work if you are half-pressing the shutter button? Also, you might want to look at other settings that affect focus confirm, like AF.A (or AF.S, AF.C - they don't all work equally well with MF lenses), focus priority (vs. shutter priority).
Hope you find and answer, and please post if you do, so others will benefit from it in the future.

Pentax does change the AF slightly from generation to generation, so it is possible the K-1 is somehow different
05-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to check out some other settings, but, I'm a little anxious now since the shutter lock up.

Other things I remember: I hit the shutter again and it dis-engaged.
I also felt a large clunk when I first turned the camera sideways, more, than I expected. But, it could just be a K1 thing.

I was using M mode and MF for my settings. I also had the "use aperture ring" chosen. The change focal length screen showed up and SR was on.
Another thing that has occurred to me, is that I just confused the stuff out of the camera, because I was shooting down a basically black hallway with slight light only at the entrance.

05-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

When using other than Takumar M42, make sure the lens has no electronic contacts. If it does, it won't screw lightly and you have to force the contact colliding with the K1 contacts on the mount. Not worth the risk.
05-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex2015 Quote
I admit venturing into playing with the camera without finishing to read all the manual.

Very naughty, Alex!

Glad it worked out, enjoy your new camera.