Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust Alert

After doing outdoor lens tests with my new K-1, which involved a number of lens changes in windy conditions, I thought I'd do a check for dust; however, when I looked for the Dust Alert function in the menus, I couldn't find it. It's not where it is on my K-5 and K-3. I checked the manual and then searched the forum and couldn't find any specific references regarding the K-1. Google brought back the following page which specifically mentions it: Pentax K-1 Review: Initial Test - Technical Info. Has anyone used Dust Alert on the K-1? Am I missing the obvious? Thank you.

05-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmckinnon Quote
After doing outdoor lens tests with my new K-1, which involved a number of lens changes in windy conditions, I thought I'd do a check for dust; however, when I looked for the Dust Alert function in the menus, I couldn't find it. It's not where it is on my K-5 and K-3. I checked the manual and then searched the forum and couldn't find any specific references regarding the K-1. Google brought back the following page which specifically mentions it: Pentax K-1 Review: Initial Test - Technical Info. Has anyone used Dust Alert on the K-1? Am I missing the obvious? Thank you.
Gotta love these "reviews" posted without an hands-on experience.

It looks like the feature has been removed (probably because dust removal now defaults to running at both startup and shutdown). Simply taking a photo of just about anything at F22 is an effective replacement

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Dust alert is missing - instead a useless conformance page was introduced. I asked Pentax Germany for that, and they approved it.

Dust alert is different from dust cleaning with power up and power down.

I was used to it and liked it, starting with the K20D. And it is better than waving the camera and f22 at 1 second exposure time.
05-19-2016, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dust cleaning does not always remove dust, sometime dust alert helps locate spots to be cleaned. Wonder what they were thinking about.

05-19-2016, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds like something that could be easily rectified in firmware, if Ricoh's prepared to do so. I too like the Dust Alert feature... it's very helpful.
05-19-2016, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam's suggestion to take a picture at f22 is probably adequate but the dust alert images was just neat! Hope the put it back.
05-19-2016, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Dust Alert has been useful in Pentax for years. I can't see the logic in removing the feature.

07-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Dust Alert has been useful in Pentax for years. I can't see the logic in removing the feature.
Agree 100%.
This should be easy via a firmware upgrade. Hope they do it soon.
12-09-2016, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #9

Now that's two things I don't like about the K1: they went backward (IMO) to usb 2.0, and they removed Dust Alert. I thought both were useful features of the K3 which made them stand apart from most other cameras in the same general spec class. I found Dust Alert particularly useful. The K1 is still a great camera, but to eliminate useful and progressive features that came with the "flagship" crop sensor body from the new full frame body make little sense to me. Just my thoughts.
12-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know whether it has been reinstated in later firmware, but if not, anyone who misses that feature should make a polite request for it via this site's new "Ask Ricoh Imaging Support" forum. Ricoh is listening to us now, and enough voices on this topic might well influence the required change