Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diagonal Scrolling

Is it just me or has the ability to scroll through either playback or live view diagonally - by holding down two of the four way directional buttons at the same time - been dropped in the K1? Got very used to using that in the K3! Can it be activated somehow, or is it just gone? Apologies if this has already been covered

05-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LukeOB Quote
Is it just me or has the ability to scroll through either playback or live view diagonally - by holding down two of the four way directional buttons at the same time - been dropped in the K1? Got very used to using that in the K3! Can it be activated somehow, or is it just gone? Apologies if this has already been covered
Seems like it's gone, sadly, for unknown reasons.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, it seems like a funny one to drop! Was really quite handy. Thanks Adam.
05-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've found diagonal AF point selection scrolling still works, so it's strange to see that diagonal scrolling in image playback doesn't work anymore, since it's the same four-way controller interface.

05-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've found diagonal AF point selection scrolling still works, so it's strange to see that diagonal scrolling in image playback doesn't work anymore, since it's the same four-way controller interface.
That's interesting isnt it, I just had a look and diagonal scrolling does indeed work for selecting auto focus points but nowhere else. Its funny when you get used to something and then it goes - I got some great use out of the flippy screen the other day, now I'm wondering how I ever did without it!
05-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not intentional. Like many manufacturers, it's very likely that Ricoh software engineers maintain a core code library recompiled and reused for all cameras (Q,645,K3,KS2 and K1) on top of that is the adaption to camera hardware and specifications. The diagonal scrolling may be part of K3 specific code but not a behavior inherited from the code library. As they probably rebuilt K1 firmware from the library, some of the behaviors of the K3 were omitted.
05-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not intentional. Like many manufacturers, it's very likely that Ricoh software engineers maintain a core code library recompiled and reused for all cameras (Q,645,K3,KS2 and K1) on top of that is the adaption to camera hardware and specifications. The diagonal scrolling may be part of K3 specific code but not a behavior inherited from the code library. As they probably rebuilt K1 firmware from the library, some of the behaviors of the K3 were omitted.
No idea. It seems like the K-1's firmware has all of the K-3 features and then some, since it's gotten the face-lifted look too. Perhaps an oversight when adapting it for all of the new buttons (i.e. the customizable down button for instance)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thanks! Never occured to me to even try after realizing that it did not work in the image view.