Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 08:59 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1 went to work today

Today was the first day where I included my new K1 into my existing workflow.
It was a simple day of green screen and interviews.

What I noticed was that, I really like putting the camera into manual video mode via the dial. On the K3, the video mode is set via a menu.

The battery life was as good or better than the K3, but that could be because my K3 batteries are getting a bit old, and the K1 batteries are fresher.

I loved how the screen is exactly the same, and the colors at a given set temperature were identical.

The file sizes (as to be expected) are the same or almost the same size as the K3.
I wouldn't expect them to be different since they are both 1080p/30p.

So, for a first time of video shooting, I am happy.
More to come when I look closer at the actual footage.

05-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice to see K-1 doing some real work.
05-19-2016, 10:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok...just put the files into Premier.

Awesome!!!

For simple green screen shoots like this (where I use a K3/K1), I use the camera's onboard mic to record a scratch track.
I don't bother to put a mic on the camera (in these cases), since I have the talent mic'd, and I use a Zoom H6 to get the wireless audio.

With that said, the K3 by itself, records in monaural, and Premiere duplicates the right and left channel.

What's awesome with the K1?

The K1 records in stereo without a mic, and damn, it's REALLY clear!
So I consider this a check for upgraded video.
More to come as I go along.

---------- Post added 05-20-16 at 12:49 AM ----------

Ok, so here is a short clip.

(I don't know why it plays at only 720p here on the forums - 1080p on YouTube?)

There are two K3's and a K1 that was used for this clip.
The K1 is the middle image, and I've done some basic keying to get this up.
All cameras were shot at the same exposure - 1/50 - F/4 - 800iso
The K3 cameras had the DA* 16-50, and the K1 has the FA 50mm.

She tapped the table, so there is just a slight jarring of the K1 in the clip.
I can't show more because it's confidential.

So as of right now, the K1 is going to fit into my existing K3 workflow.
No changes whatsoever.

Consider that good or bad, but since I work my Pentax cameras, it's nice to know I won't have to change anything to transition to the K1.

Again, when I shoot, in a second I can be asked to shoot photographs, and the K1 is going to be an awesome tool if a shoot goes in that direction.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-19-2016 at 11:01 PM.
05-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
Banned

I recall you spitting the dummy several months ago and indicating a move away from Pentax due to K-1's lack of video capabilities.

I gather you're staying in the Pentaxian fold then? Great news!

05-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I recall you spitting the dummy several months ago and indicating a move away from Pentax due to K-1's lack of video capabilities.

I gather you're staying in the Pentaxian fold then? Great news!
Actually, no, I never said I was going to move away from Pentax.
I will never move away from Pentax.

I wasn't going to invest *more* when it came to building up a greater video capacity, and that without enhanced video capabilities, I could not make the case to put more money into Pentax when it came to video.

At the time, we didn't know the price of the K1, and it was rumored to be north of $2k, and that played a part in the choices.

So now that the K1 is here, and we know what we know, I still can't recommend a department build a video capability around the K1 when there are better choices out there concerning video.

The K1 as of now, is on par with the K3 (maybe a bit better), and a relief, given how awesome the camera is for photography.
It's satisfying that the K1 is not a disappointment compared to a K3 when it comes to video.
05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another more creative shoot this weekend - all K1 on this!

(The URL is fake at the end...only a place holder)

More to come from this project.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-24-2016 at 02:56 PM.
05-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good and the last one is especially playful. I was wondering why you shoot 800 ISO when you are in control of the amount of light?

05-23-2016, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Looks good and the last one is especially playful. I was wondering why you shoot 800 ISO when you are in control of the amount of light?
F/4 is where I like to shoot most of my headshot/interviews, and when I do a green screen, it lends the background even more creamy for a better key.

If I put too much light into an interview session, It will be too bright for the people infront of the camera.
It seems that the combination of iso800 along with f/4 gives me a limited amount of choices as to shutter speed.

Now if I am shooting outside, then I will use a variable ND to get the exposure I want.

When I am shooting close ups and other bits, or using macro lenses, yes, I usually shoot with less concern for actual people infront of the camera.

Bottom line, is that I never have a cookbook when it comes to exposure settings, and I change frequently during a shoot.
05-23-2016, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
F/4 is where I like to shoot most of my headshot/interviews, and when I do a green screen, it lends the background even more creamy for a better key.

If I put too much light into an interview session, It will be too bright for the people infront of the camera.
It seems that the combination of iso800 along with f/4 gives me a limited amount of choices as to shutter speed.

Now if I am shooting outside, then I will use a variable ND to get the exposure I want.

When I am shooting close ups and other bits, or using macro lenses, yes, I usually shoot with less concern for actual people infront of the camera.

Bottom line, is that I never have a cookbook when it comes to exposure settings, and I change frequently during a shoot.
Thanks for the detailed answer Lauren!
07-07-2016, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some fun from today - Phantom 3 Pro, Osmo and K1.

Enjoy.