Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Pushing the ISO.

I've seen examples where people are getting spectacular results shooting at high ISO in FF mode. My question, can you push the ISO and get great results in crop mode as well?

I only ask since I can afford the body... just not the lenses at the moment.

05-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
I've seen examples where people are getting spectacular results shooting at high ISO in FF mode. My question, can you push the ISO and get great results in crop mode as well?

In crop mode, you get about the same performance as the K-5iis.
05-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enoeske is correct, of course even if crop mode added some more noise for some reason you could always shoot FF mode and crop in post. But as Enoeske said it's not an issue.
05-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
Guess I should re-phrase... when I use APS-C lenses on the K1, it will go into crop/APS-C mode which is only 16MP. Can the ISO be pushed with equally excellent results or will it give me more noise? Thanks.

05-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Guess I should re-phrase... when I use APS-C lenses on the K1, it will go into crop/APS-C mode which is only 16MP. Can the ISO be pushed with equally excellent results or will it give me more noise? Thanks.
It will give you the same amount of noise as the K-5iis. Using the full sensor will give you much less noise.
05-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Using the full sensor will give you much less noise.
The implication is "Shoot full-frame and crop in post."
05-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The implication is "Shoot full-frame and crop in post."
Cropping in camera or in post will give you roughly the same results. As you zoom into the image, you increase the size of the noise.

05-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

True, but depending on the DA lens used and the form of the crop selected, the FOV need not be as limiting as the standard DA crop, so there may be some gains to be had.
05-20-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Cropping in camera or in post will give you roughly the same results. As you zoom into the image, you increase the size of the noise.
Did you try it in practice? I mean shooting high ISO (e.g. 6400) in crop mode on K-1 and compare the noise with the same image taken with K-5II?
If yes, please post your pictures.
05-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Did you try it in practice? I mean shooting high ISO (e.g. 6400) in crop mode on K-1 and compare the noise with the same image taken with K-5II?
If yes, please post your pictures.
I only have a K-5, so i can't compare. The reason I specify the K-5iis is due to the lack of AA filter in both.
05-20-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I only have a K-5, so i can't compare. The reason I specify the K-5iis is due to the lack of AA filter in both.
I think that using k-1 in crop mode will give you the same good results (low amount of noise) as shooting in FF mode. Because the quality of that noise is different compared to that produced by K-5iis. Using crop mode on k-1 you simply cut-off the part of sensor pixels. This don't change the quality of picture in aspect of noise. On the other hand k-1 sensor produces very low chroma noise compared to k-5ii at high ISO.
Maybe 1 week later i will try to post pictures made with k-1 in crop mode and witk k-5ii
05-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

how high ISO are we talking here? More than 6400?
05-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
how high ISO are we talking here? More than 6400?
Let's 6400-12800
05-20-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Unregistered User

It will NOT be the same as K-5IIs. The amount of pixels, yes but not noise vice. The sensor and processing in the K-1 is superiour to the one in the K-5IIs so you will have more dynamic range and less noise.
05-20-2016, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #15

The noise is exactly the same, regardless if you use "crop mode" or "FF mode". And that's logical, since it's the same sensor and the same electronics that takes the images.

And there's no difference if you crop in-camera or off-camera (that is, in post-processing). The noise remains the same.

When you print images to a fixed size (say, three by two feet), then things begin to change, because you use a different enlargement on crop than on FF. Thus, the noise gets more enlargement when printing a cropped image.

Regardless of that: The high-ISO performance of the K-1 is stellar. It outperforms the K-5, which already was a really good high-ISO performer, and it's unbelievable when you compare it to what analogue materials could deliver.