Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I find that the Pentax TC and the 150-450 not to be very good but I have yet to try it in really good light. It does vignette a bit but not very much.
On my DA*300 + 1.4 Pentax HDTC it vignettes very bad with sun shade..without its OK..only slight..,with DA70 its perfect..maybe need a 3rd party one ??

05-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
quick backyard test using Sigma 500 f4.5...

at f5.6

1- is the Pentax TC
2- Vivitar (Tamron) 1.4
3 - No TC

Pentax TC shows some vignetting at f5.6.
Last fullsize photo is at f4.5 with Pentax TC. Vignetting not "horrible" but noticeable. Exposure tweaked a little high to highlight darker corners
Vivitar slightly less magnification than Pentax.
note field curvature distortion, especially evident in lower right (garden light) on Pentax TC.

Crops per Photoshop are equal to 175/180/195%

color is off on first crop and last full size because I process on ProPhoto. Apparently didn't convert to sRGB. Don't feel like redoing.
too lazy to do anything but crop in ACR. no processing.
Thanks for doing that, my take the first 1.4 image, looking at the Stamens of the flower pretty clearly give you the best image in terms of sharpness, so your results are exactly what i would have expected. There's not much doubt at least in my eye, going for resolution the Pentax 1.4 gives you your best image.

It does need a colour balance though.
05-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It does need a colour balance though.
just needs converting to sRGB from ProPhoto...lol. I thought I converted them all in PS, but apparently forgot 2. I didn't feel like going back and recropping.
05-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
just needs converting to sRGB from ProPhoto...lol. I thought I converted them all in PS, but apparently forgot 2. I didn't feel like going back and recropping.
No problem, it's just a joy to be looking at photos, now I'm learning something.

06-10-2016, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-1 with Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and matching Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter. Works delightfully. This shot is cropped, but early indications are that there is no evidence of vignetting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
K-1 with Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and matching Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter. Works delightfully. This shot is cropped, but early indications are that there is no evidence of vignetting.
Thanks for posting this with the Sigma 1.4 TC - What Sigma TC do you use Adrain? Does that TC provide AF with the Sigma 500? The current Sigma 1.4TC is not available in Pentax mount. Thanks
06-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Lots of vignetting and you lose AF...

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 07:05 PM ----------

Looks great

06-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks for posting this with the Sigma 1.4 TC - What Sigma TC do you use Adrian? Does that TC provide AF with the Sigma 500? The current Sigma 1.4TC is not available in Pentax mount. Thanks
G'day Bob - It is the Sigma APO Tele Converter 1.4x EX DG. It provides autofcous with the Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and the Sigma 100-300 f4 APO DG EX as these are screw drive lenses. It does not provide autofocus for SDM/HSM lenses. The Sigma TC is also only designed to work with particular Sigma lenses as it penetrates into the rear of the lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-14-2016, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
G'day Bob - It is the Sigma APO Tele Converter 1.4x EX DG. It provides autofcous with the Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and the Sigma 100-300 f4 APO DG EX as these are screw drive lenses. It does not provide autofocus for SDM/HSM lenses. The Sigma TC is also only designed to work with particular Sigma lenses as it penetrates into the rear of the lens.
AH HA - Thanks Adrian - probably worth more used than it cost new - No Longer Available
and
None available on eBay today
06-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
AH HA - Thanks Adrian - probably worth more used than it cost new - No Longer Available
and
None available on eBay today
Not exactly the same but for sale on the forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/321063-sal...er-ex-apo.html

I also have this Kenko, with shot of a white fridge taken with the 500 f4.5 and K-1. Not bad really - only a small amount of vignetting, which might also be the flash profile at short range. Bought this at B&H or Adorama a few years ago. Also only suitable for screw drive lenses.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by AdrianM; 06-14-2016 at 03:05 AM.
06-14-2016, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't the K-3 the ideal 1.5x teleconverter for the K-1?
<ducks for cover>

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-14-2016 at 04:24 AM.
06-14-2016, 03:56 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Isn't the K-3 is the ideal 1.5x teleconverter for the K-1?
<ducks for cover>
Wow, that's courage!

Interestingly, I have found myself carrying the K-1 with Sigma 500 and 1.4x TC, right alongside the K-3 with 150-450 and Pentax HD 1.4x RC. In these combinations, the K-3 has better reach, but lacks focus tracking, AF speed and ultimately flexibility in framing the shot compared to the K-1 combination. Of the bird shots I have taken recently, I found that, on a number of occasions, the cropped shot on the K-1 was bigger than 24Mp so I actually got more out of the K-1 than I had expected from worrying about the crop factor. Oooh, and the other thing is that ISO500-640 is sort of the sweet spot on the K-3 for bird photography, but on the K-1 it is 1000-1250 and that is a huge step up for birds in flight.
06-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that's courage!

Interestingly, I have found myself carrying the K-1 with Sigma 500 and 1.4x TC, right alongside the K-3 with 150-450 and Pentax HD 1.4x RC. In these combinations, the K-3 has better reach, but lacks focus tracking, AF speed and ultimately flexibility in framing the shot compared to the K-1 combination. Of the bird shots I have taken recently, I found that, on a number of occasions, the cropped shot on the K-1 was bigger than 24Mp so I actually got more out of the K-1 than I had expected from worrying about the crop factor. Oooh, and the other thing is that ISO500-640 is sort of the sweet spot on the K-3 for bird photography, but on the K-1 it is 1000-1250 and that is a huge step up for birds in flight.
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful answer. I always assumed I would hang on to a crop camera for use with my longer lenses, but maybe my rationale is not valid. Food for thought
06-14-2016, 04:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful answer. I always assumed I would hang on to a crop camera for use with my longer lenses, but maybe my rationale is not valid. Food for thought
Really depends on what you are using it for, but I have quickly become a fan of the K-1. Just can't afford to buy two right now! (Cost of divorce on top of the camera price - just not worth it as I need someone to help me carry my kit as I get older)
06-14-2016, 05:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same here. For the location where 300mm is not enough I have better "reach" with K-1 because the file are still decent after tight crops.