Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

Noob Pentax Digital Camera Utility Question..Sorry

Ok first off sorry for this noob post and maybe someone can steer me into the right thread or tutorial.

1. I take photos
2. I transfer photos to computer on a memory card reader
3. I open Pentax Digital Camera Utility
4. I try opening folder containing my photos but this is impossible in "easy image transfer" as nothing is showing up
5. Lightroom 4 works but sucks as I've opened a single PS image and it looks incredible on Pentax DCU but poor on LR
6. How can I transfer multiple images from a folder on my computer to PDCU?

I've only had success opening a single file to Pentax DCU by right clicking file then opening in DCU but I need better workflow than that..

So final question: I have photos in a folder on my computer, can I transfer all for editing them in DCU?

Thanks for any info.

05-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

DCU doesn't work like Lightroom.

You don't need to import images into it. Just browse your Windows or Mac folders tree from within PDCU, find your image folder, find an image, open it, then if you want to edit it, select 'Laboratory' mode in PDCU and start editing.

You don't need to use 'Easy Image Transfer'. That's for pulling images off your SD-card, if you want to use PDCU to do that. But you've already copied your images to your hard disk.
05-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #3

Step 4 should be to use the PDU Browser to navigate to the folder where you transferred the images to.

To use Easy Image Transfer:

1. Connect camera to computer via USB cable or put memory card in reader slot
  2. Start DCU
  3. Click on Easy Image Transfer (EIT)
  4. EIT will detect DCF folder - select camera or associated drive
  5. click next - select all images or select folders
  6. click next - select target folder - click transfer images
  7. In DCU Browser navigate to the folder where you transferred the image files
05-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DCU doesn't work like Lightroom.

You don't need to import images into it. Just browse your Windows or Mac folders tree from within PDCU, find your image folder, find an image, open it, then if you want to edit it, select 'Laboratory' mode in PDCU and start editing.

You don't need to use 'Easy Image Transfer'. That's for pulling images off your SD-card, if you want to use PDCU to do that. But you've already copied your images to your hard disk.
Ok, here again. I'm a total noob. Explain to me like I'm 5 how to locate my folder with photos from DCU..I've clicked all options to no end trying to get to my folder but nothing gives me the option to find them.

1. what button or whatever do I click in DCU to find my folder that's sitting on my desktop?

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 01:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Step 4 should be to use the PDU Browser to navigate to the folder where you transferred the images to.

To use Easy Image Transfer:

1. Connect camera to computer via USB cable or put memory card in reader slot
  2. Start DCU
  3. Click on Easy Image Transfer (EIT)
  4. EIT will detect DCF folder - select camera or associated drive
  5. click next - select all images or select folders
  6. click next - select target folder - click transfer images
  7. In DCU Browser navigate to the folder where you transferred the image files
I've already tried that. Had memory card connected to reader on my computer and DCU says there's nothing to find. An empty white space is displayed.

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 01:46 AM ----------

Ok, I think I figured it out.

05-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would strongly recommend forgetting about trying to load photos from a memory card using PDCU. You risk ending up writing data back and forth to your SD card .... Much better to just use Windows to copy the photos from the SD card to a dedicated folder in your Pictures library on the computer. Remove the card and put it back in the camera. Do not format the card until you have seen all your photos on the computer and you have made a backup of them somewhere else.

In the settings menu, PDCU has options to set a default folder that it displays on opening, and also a default output folder where it will save the new photos it generates .... It's a good idea to keep these different as well so you know where are the originals and where are your ' edited' ones.
05-22-2016, 03:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Nigel that it's better to copy your photos to a target folder using Windows Explorer as DCU doesn't import as such. My workflow is to copy files from the SD card to a defined folder on the hard drive (named with a sequential number plus the month/year, but you could choose any scheme) in Win Explorer. Then in DCU 'browser' mode, the drive directory tree is in the top left pane, underneath the 'browser' button - make sure the 'folders' tab is selected. If you set tools/options as 'status at last exit' under 'settings at startup' in 'basic settings', and 'last folder used' under 'folder at startup' in 'file management', then you''ll always start the program where you left off. If you've navigated to your folder with the photos in it as set up above in the top left pane, then it's a simple matter of moving between folders. Then having selected a photo or group of photos to work on in browser mode, then click the 'laboratory' button and you're away.
05-22-2016, 03:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
had tr64b3e f5nd5ng h6w t6 se3ect any 50age t6 ed5t

Oh, my... I have a tiny cordless keyboard that is basically a laptop keyboard with no number pad. NumLock had been set and now I know how that 'L33t' dictionary was created.

Anyway, This is how I rooted up images the first time I used the software.
I poked around and found something in TOOLS menu
TOOLS > OPTIONS > FILE MANAGEMENT
There I set the 'Home Folder' to point to the directory with my images
Then, I made sure 'Home Folder' is displayed at start up

This time I opened the software, I saw a nice tree directory structure on the left but then it disappeared behind a histogram pallet. [and you want to be in BROWSER rather than LABORATORY work space, toggle at upper left] I dragged the histogram pallet and there is the file browser ! Great. I am afraid to close the histogram pallet because I am not sure how to get t back; I don't see 'histogram' toggle in the VIEW menu.. [the histogram can be toggled off under WINDOW menu. that makes sense and i should have thought to check there]

If your question has been answered, I have added a couple of my own and hope this is OK:

Does anyone know if white and black points can be set ?
Is there some kind of levels tool ?

Plus, I thought I read a user comment that pixel shift images could be exported as DNG. I checked again and for SAVE AS, I see only JPG and TIF options. Is it possible to save or export as PEF or DNG ?

Last edited by Tan68; 05-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.
05-22-2016, 04:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's no levels or curves ... It's best not to think of PDCU as an image editor ... Rather as a 'camera output developer'. It is designed around a layout scheme that mimics the camera custom image and corrections settings. There are some enhanced NR and colour controls also. But if you look at it as a more highly sophisticated version of your camera controls, that's really more like it is.

It can output a higher quality JPEG from RAW than the camera that is more optimised and controllable, plus if preferred a 16bit Tiff for maximum quality to use for further editing in PhotoShop, for example. It allows finer control than the camera over lens-specific corrections and includes manual options for these. Of course for the latest models you have the HDR and pixel-shift functions also.

Good points from Martin above about those specific folder settings !

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-22-2016 at 04:36 AM.
05-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have my cameras set up so that the photos taken each day wind up in a folder for that date. Then I sneaker net the photos into a larg folder on my laptop and desktop called "Photos". Under that it is broken down into K5 RAW, K5-IIs RAW and K3 RAW folders. I then use the browser in PDCU to open the folder for the date I want. Then thumbnails are displayed in a row under the work screen. Then I just pick the photo I want to work on.

Worked on photos are usually saved in jpeg format in a different folder. PDCU is a subset of a program called Silkypics. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but it is probably what I will someday purchase. My daughter in law just got Lightroom. I tried to use it but was totally lost. PDCU is free and as a friend of used to say "If it's free it's for me."
05-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The only real use I expect to see is to create a composite or .. flatten the pixel shift images. Exporting as 16-bit TIF is good nd I can worry with levels in my regular PP software..

I am a little sad that the pixel shift image can't be flattened or whatever happens to a RAW file format :^|
05-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #11
farmerDavid

I'll hitch-hike onto this thread with my dummy question. I got PDCU 4 with my K-7 and tested it back then but it was overwhelming. I first had to learn more basic stuff. Now I'd like to reinstall but my Windows 10 has no CD drive. Any help?
Thanks,
David
05-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
Any help?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...-cd-drive.html
05-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
farmerDavid

Thank you!
David