Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I get pretty good results with the Pentax 1.4 and 1.7 TC using various lenses on the K-3 - including the Sigma 500 4.5 - with good light. The vignetting with the Pentax 1.4 on the K-1 is probably a major hurdle for me considering the K-1 even if the auto focus tracking is improved over the K-3 since I would rely on a TC to make up for the loss "reach" going from the K-3 to a K-1 for wildlife photography. I could use the 1.7 but that precludes most moving wildlife and AF.C with tracking. I will just have to see how improved tracking in AF.C mode is with the K-1 over the K-3.

05-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I get pretty good results with the Pentax 1.4 and 1.7 TC using various lenses on the K-3 - including the Sigma 500 4.5 - with good light. The vignetting with the Pentax 1.4 on the K-1 is probably a major hurdle for me considering the K-1 even if the auto focus tracking is improved over the K-3 since I would rely on a TC to make up for the loss "reach" going from the K-3 to a K-1 for wildlife photography. I could use the 1.7 but that precludes most moving wildlife and AF.C with tracking. I will just have to see how improved tracking in AF.C mode is with the K-1 over the K-3.
I did some additional testing with the K-1 + Pentax 1.4x TC + 150-450 and the vignetting depends on how much the sensor moves to help me stabilize. It is a minor problem since when it comes to wildlife I always have to crop. If I am on a monopod and pretty stable it almost does not vignette but there is a small loss in the corners. IQ vice I have not descided yet.
05-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I did some additional testing with the K-1 + Pentax 1.4x TC + 150-450 and the vignetting depends on how much the sensor moves to help me stabilize. It is a minor problem since when it comes to wildlife I always have to crop. If I am on a monopod and pretty stable it almost does not vignette but there is a small loss in the corners. IQ vice I have not descided yet.
Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to the Forum review - specifically tracking in AF.C since most of my wildlife here is birds and I would like to spend more time photographing birds in flight. If the K-1 provides a significant improvement in tracking over the K-3, I will probably get one even at 4 fps and a vignetting TC.
05-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to the Forum review - specifically tracking in AF.C since most of my wildlife here is birds and I would like to spend more time photographing birds in flight. If the K-1 provides a significant improvement in tracking over the K-3, I will probably get one even at 4 fps and a vignetting TC.
Personally I would say yes, it is a significantly better AF. I use K-1 and 150-450 and I get more keepers than before. I will however take the K-3 with me next time to do a side by side test.

05-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #35
Forum Member

If we go back to the original post, we may ask about the 55-300.
Which gives more detail: the 55-300 at 300mm on a K-3 II with pixel shift, or the 55-300 at 300mm on a K-1 + TC + pixel shift?
05-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
If we go back to the original post, we may ask about the 55-300.
Which gives more detail: the 55-300 at 300mm on a K-3 II with pixel shift, or the 55-300 at 300mm on a K-1 + TC + pixel shift?
I would guess the K-3II. The TC will degrade to much.