Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder level/display

So I'm loving my K-1 a lot and have very few gripes. One thing that is bugging me, though, is that I sometimes find it difficult to see the display in the viewfinder. For example, I use the electronic level quite a bit, and it's black in the viewfinder. So, if I'm shooting something that is dark or has a lot of shadows in the composition, the level and other parts of the display just blend in.

Maybe I'm missing a setting? I've looked through the menu, but can't find any way to change that so that maybe the level lights up or turns red or something.

Has anyone else been bothered by this? I know I could use Live View and have a level, but I'm much more of a viewfinder shooter.

Thanks.

05-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I also haven't yet adjusted to the size of the viewfinder, so my eye naturally looks below and to the left of center. I have some trouble finding the center ring and focus point. Neither of these is limited to dim conditions. The dark gray just doesn't stand out.

I can live with it. I can live with just about anything. I even found a valid (situational) use for ad hoc wifi image transfer
05-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Some of the drawbacks of the fancy LCD overlay. However the etchings on standard screens are typically black too. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the duration of the viewfinder illumination.

On my K10D the exposure compensation button double functions to turn on the top panel LCD light. Is there a similar function on the K-1 to turn on the viewfinder illumination?
05-24-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

Just press and hold the AF mode button and you will have a red glow in the viewfinder as long as you want.

05-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Just press and hold the AF mode button and you will have a red glow in the viewfinder as long as you want.
A ha!!!! Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed!