Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

DXO RAW converter (Otherwise known as DXO Optics 10)

I'm beginning to think Ken Rockwell and I are the only persons dumb enough to use DXO Optics as a RAW convertor. Either way, neither of us have a K-1 profile yet and he is not complaining, so I will.

Has anyone heard (I'm making a big assumption that someone other than me cares) a whisper, rumor or anything as to when DXO will come up with a K-1 profile? There are RAW convertors I have never heard of that have K-1 profiles, but of course they are not compatible.

I'm not desperate enough to use Ricoh Camera Utility yet, but the second hand on my watch is threatening to make all other auditory observations subservient; patiently awaiting for such a fall. No, I shall fight wasted time....by waiting....and waiting.....and.....

Oh, forget it, where is that blasted RCU disk?

05-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a k-1. But I use that software extensively with my k-3 and Panasonic gx7.

You aren't dumb, just different... Lol.
05-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

Most likely they are getting it ready, along with the review. They not only convert the raw, but use custom lens profiles. I imagine that they want at least a few of the lens profiles to come out with K1 support.
05-25-2016, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
I'm beginning to think Ken Rockwell and I are the only persons dumb enough to use DXO Optics as a RAW convertor. Either way, neither of us have a K-1 profile yet and he is not complaining, so I will.

Has anyone heard (I'm making a big assumption that someone other than me cares) a whisper, rumor or anything as to when DXO will come up with a K-1 profile? There are RAW convertors I have never heard of that have K-1 profiles, but of course they are not compatible.

I'm not desperate enough to use Ricoh Camera Utility yet, but the second hand on my watch is threatening to make all other auditory observations subservient; patiently awaiting for such a fall. No, I shall fight wasted time....by waiting....and waiting.....and.....

Oh, forget it, where is that blasted RCU disk?
I can help you with this as I do care too (but haven't the chance to get a K-1 yet, the Dublin camera store does not have it yet)
I had a discussion with some people from the labs about 3 weeks ago. According to what they told me then, they should not have their K1 at the moment (possibly in a few days). There is no precise date of release at the moment, but it seems that it may occur in September/October.
The K-1 is a bit of a nightmare for lens calibrations : as you can imagine they suddenly have to calibrate a hundred of lenses from scratch (I am including the FA series and the third party lenses...)
Hope this helps !

05-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
....but it seems that it may occur in September/October.
The K-1 is a bit of a nightmare for lens calibrations : as you can imagine they suddenly have to calibrate a hundred of lenses from scratch (I am including the FA series and the third party lenses...)
Hope this helps !
Support for a new camera body is independent of lens support, as far as I know. Normally, a camera body gets support first, and then in consequent updates to DOP, lenses are added.
I used DxO for a while, but recently, program updates and development seem to have all but come to a halt. I honestly have no idea if this will have a stalling influence on K1 body support, but it should normally not have to take them to october to do something as relatively simple as add support for a camera body.

Chris
05-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
After thinking about it for a bit, the K-1 is the first camera body that I have purchased in the same month as its initial release. That being said, I have had some version of DXO (ver. 9) during the release of both K-3 and K-3 II. I purchased both bodies and the support for the body was available in DXO as soon as I attempted to use the program.

I would have to do some research to determine whether the DXO profiles were available contemporaneous to the release of the camera. If memory serves me correctly, the profiles were available very quickly after, or at the same time as the release of the K-3 and K-3 II. I do specifically remember the ancillary impact that knowledge of the editing profile availability had on my desire to get the body. Put another way, seeing that profile available whilst I did not have the camera provided a new and consistent platform for that little shoulder dwelling devil to urge along the purchase of the newest Pentax body as quickly as possible.

I actually only upgraded to version 10 because I thought DXO was trying to pinch me into buying the new version to get access to the K-1 profile. I was sorely surprised when I could see thumbnails of my images, but the software would not display a full version, let alone allow me to edit them. I sent a feedback message to notify DXO of the body I wished to have supported, but the response was a canned answer I'll paraphrase as "we are always working on new profiles" without specifically addressing the K-1.

I have had a similar experience with another camera body. I purchased an Olympus Pen EP5. This version had a late release in the U.S. so I thought perhaps that was a factor in the lack of support. This did not make a great deal of sense however, the more I thought about the situation. I believe the EP5 had been released in Europe, China, Japan, etc. for some time. I thought that there would be enough non-U.S. users of DXO to justify creating a profile for that camera. Still, I had to concede that the camera may have had poor sales and that this might have resulted in a delay in the EP5 profile development, though I had no data to support that theory one way or the other. In any event, the lack of the profile was sufficient to drive me completely away from using the camera because I had no desire to use Olympus' Camera Utility (it is not horrible, but slow, similar to my experience with the Ricoh/Pentax utility). I do not know if they ever developed a profile for that camera or not, though I still have the camera, I just have not used it in a while or attempted to edit any photos from the camera. I also believed it was possible that the support was available in DXO Optics 10, but that alone was not enough incentive for me to upgrade on account of that camera.

One final (and confessedly speculative) thought on this that occurred to me when I first found out about the lack of the K-1 profile: I wondered if it was possible that Pentax/Ricoh had been strong-armed into withholding the camera from DXO by Adobe, perhaps in exchange for some exclusive (or perhaps rather inclusive) development/support for the tethering software. I believe I have read here that it is standard fare for Cannon and Nikon, but provided at a charge to Pentax users. Again, this is nothing but speculation, but it certainly would not be the first time that two companies colluded to deprive consumers of immediate purchasing ability from a third company through exclusive access rights. Pentax would have no dedicated interest in deprivation of their customer base from the use of DXO, but they would have strong interest in providing the tethering functionality to the customer base. Adobe, on the other hand, would have an obvious interest in cutting into DXO's photo editing customer base. Were it "necessary" for me to have RAW editing software for the K-1 and not merely a nuisance in its absence, there would be pressure to find an immediate solution. In all likelihood, that solution would be Lightroom. I suppose it could be a "cost of doing business" circumstance.

Perhaps it is just DXO taking its sweet time, releasing the camera profile only at the same time as the lenses, or just dropping the ball. Who knows?
05-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose they could just download K-1 RAWs off the web, but I doubt that's sufficient for them. So we might have to wait until they get a K-1...which could be a while.

I doubt there's any conspiracy, but OTOH Adobe certainly has resources that DxO doesn't have. It's not uncommon for some RAW conversion to take a while. Especially with something that isn't just a repackaging of existing components.

05-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Support for a new camera body is independent of lens support, as far as I know. Normally, a camera body gets support first, and then in consequent updates to DOP, lenses are added.
I used DxO for a while, but recently, program updates and development seem to have all but come to a halt. I honestly have no idea if this will have a stalling influence on K1 body support, but it should normally not have to take them to october to do something as relatively simple as add support for a camera body.

Chris
You are right, it is different. But as someone else suggested it makes more sense to release the K-1 profile along with a few lens modules and I assume that it is part of the explanation.
The other elements I have in mind are that plenty of other cameras has been released (D5, D500, 80D, 1DXMkII..) and the lab is probably busy with these calibrations. I suspect an other DxO project to keep the lab fairly busy but I think I am not allowed to say anything.. We will see
05-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
As an example:

Netflix Exclusive Disney Movie Deal in U.S. Kicks In This Fall | Variety

I suppose the major distinguishing factor here is that the service that DXO is providing is not dependent upon a patent or copyright (as far as I know anyway). So theoretically, DXO could obtain a copy of a K-1, study the camera and provide a profile independent of Pentax providing them with anything. But I suppose it could be negotiated that Adobe's competitors have limited access to the physical items for a period of time. Of course, if there is some tech information that Pentax would have to release for the profile to be accurately created, then exclusivity rights could be carved out more easily.
05-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

When I contacted Dxo about Pentax K-1 support last week, they told me "It is on the road map and should be released around mid June. However, I'm debating purchasing LR 6 just so I can edit my K-1 raw files as well as Lightroom's superior file management capability... Dxo Optics Pro 10 now works with Lightroom as a plug in, too. But, do I need two RAW file converters?
05-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
When I contacted Dxo about Pentax K-1 support last week, they told me "It is on the road map and should be released around mid June. However, I'm debating purchasing LR 6 just so I can edit my K-1 raw files as well as Lightroom's superior file management capability... Dxo Optics Pro 10 now works with Lightroom as a plug in, too. But, do I need two RAW file converters?

I own and use both - most of the time I use DXO. I need to spend more time learning Lightroom.
05-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whatever the actual circumstances may be, it seems implausible that Adobe did not have access to the camera first. They announced that their K-1 profile was complete on April 29, 2016. This was more than a half month before the product even began shipping in the U.S. A serious question might be asked: Just when did Adobe get a copy of the camera that they are able to release a RAW profile before the item is even launchhe ed in the States. If you take the perspective that developing this profile takes some time (i.e. DXO still does not have one) then one should reasonably assume that Adobe began working with the camera far before DXO got the opportunity (if it has even yet attained the camera).

Any way you slice it, DXO is (whether it be their own fault, Pentax's fault or some contractual mandate of some kind) not getting the hardware in in a timely fashion to keep pace with competitors. If they keep that up for very long, they better hope that DXO one sells like hotcakes. Otherwise, DXO may not be around for the long haul.
05-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that Pentax isn't exactly flooding the photo world with K-1s, I would think that the demand for their products by folks with K-1s isn't exactly huge. In any case, there are alternatives.

Lr has a bit of a bug with pixel shift K-1 DNGs at least, for now. I use DxO with Lr and I would say there are some things DxO does better, like lens corrections at times. Especially with something tough like wide angles and fish eyes. I once used its Clear View haze reduction a lot, but Lr's has sort of caught up. Both are good though. DxO is very cool in that you can send a DNG to DxO for work and get a DNG back; you don't have to work on a TIFF.
09-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

Dxo Optics Pro releases update that supports the K-1 today

Dxomark released their update (that they originally promised on the 16th) today that includes support of the K-1. I hope it supports the 77mm 1.8 and the Sigma 35mm 1.4.