Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thing I like...the K1 has given me an extra hour of shooting every day with the low light capability. Sometimes the best shots are at this time of day. Also helps for early morning shooting. Small thing but can give big rewards.

Regards!

05-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #32
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Quite clearly I was not! I thought it was pretty stupid for it to reset after leaving review mode. This will help a lot.
You're not on your own mate, I was reading the instructions this morning to find that the bottom button on the 4 way pad is a selector for the screen brightness.

Guess I should have read the instructions earlier, it would have save me diving into the menu.

Tas
05-31-2016, 12:39 AM - 7 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As bizarre as the articulated* screen is, I have to say it is very useful.

This image would have been rather difficult to do with a fixed screen camera.

Pentax K-1 Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8mm f/16 1/25th ISO 400 [APS-C crop mode on]

*Regarding the K-1, to use the term tilting screen is a bit of an understatement in this case
05-31-2016, 02:48 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say the two biggest things that aggravate me about the K-1 are button placement (particularly the live view button, which I still hit quite a bit when trying to chimp) and slow write speeds (turning off lens corrections seems to help quite a bit). I'm learning the button placement, although since I still shoot with a K3 at times, it does make it a little difficult going back and forth.

Otherwise, the camera is a dream, with great dynamic range and is easily the easiest camera in which to change any setting that you desire without menu diving.

05-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

*Regarding the K-1, to use the term tilting screen is a bit of an understatement in this case
For this purpose (low angle shots with static subjects) I much prefer to shoot tethered via wifi function. I can see a lot better what I'm doing on a 8'' or 10'' tablet screen. But there are a lot of other scenarios where tilt screen is usefull.

P.S. Love the image.
05-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
For this purpose (low angle shots with static subjects) I much prefer to shoot tethered via wifi function.
Every time I see someone using tethering on a handheld shot I can't help but think of it as a mis-application of technique. Yes it is convenient, Yes it is ergonomically familiar - but it makes photography easy: things that are easy hold little interest for me. Photographers should compose with their camera, not their phone/tablet. The only situation where I use tethering is in the studio is so the art director can see what I'm doing...I'm always behind the camera.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.
05-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-1 Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8mm f/16 1/25th ISO 400 [APS-C crop mode on]

That is a great image and you managed to get only one knee muddy !

06-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you top posting just to annoy me?

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That's rich, considering you just posted a brag-photo showing how you used the "cheat" of the articulated screen to get your shot. How is that any less easy then using a tethered setup? Heck, fiddling with getting the tethering to work properly and reliably is arguably more difficult than using the attached screen.
Yes tethering is technologically more demanding - Paring devices can be frustrating, then there is the issue of adjusting display brightness/contrast on the external device so the image will closely resemble what will be captured, setting up focus peaking and then there is the issue of latency with shutter activation, and ease of access to critical camera functions - personally it seems to me to be a lot of hoops to jump through when a simplified approach would be quicker and more efficient. Don't make things needlessly difficult for yourself.

If you are going to insist on such a ridiculously artificial standard, then how is anything not taken through the OVF acceptable? Where do you get off using focus peaking? Cropping? Postprocessing?
I respect your opinions Dcshooter, you practice truly superlative craft in re-finishing and restoring lenses to their former glory. However, the above remarks are antagonistic, hyperbolic and serve no other purpose than to erode my opinion of you. All I'm advocating is a simpler approach and using what is already at hand. Rather than rely upon an external device which, as these gadgets and gizmos often do, just get in the way of ones creative vision.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is a great image and you managed to get only one knee muddy
Thanks, getting my clothes muddy was the least of my worries: It turned out I got plenty of sand in my shoes.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-01-2016 at 12:57 AM.
06-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Every time I see someone using tethering on a handheld shot I can't help but think of it as a mis-application of technique. Yes it is convenient, Yes it is ergonomically familiar - but it makes photography easy: things that are easy hold little interest for me. Photographers should compose with their camera, not their phone/tablet. The only situation where I use tethering is in the studio is so the art director can see what I'm doing...I'm always behind the camera.
You still compose your image with your camera, just using a bigger screen. To be more clear about what I was talking about static subjects, I will say that I was referring to those scenarios where the camera is on a tripod. If this image was taken handheld, then yes, tilt screen is usefull.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 06-01-2016 at 12:47 AM.
06-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A terrific image and kudos to Digitalis for using the screen's capability to get the shot. There are probably a dozen good ways to get that shot but the most important one is the ability to see and capture the shot. Well done.
06-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I just noticed something with my K1 that I've never seen on any other brand of camera that I've ever used. A unique, original, new, little feature that none of the Pentax APS-C cameras had, nor do Nikon, Canon or Fuji cameras.

The unique little feature that I'm referring to is a body cap that locks in place onto the camera when installed. To remove it one needs to press the lens release button. While seemingly a petty feature, I think it's a great idea. In the past, I've had body caps (especially the generic ones) work loose and fall off. This neat little feature will certainly help to keep the K1 sensor clean.

Thanks Pentax, you do the little things right!
06-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I call you out because you are wrong much more often than you are right and you constantly spread misinformaiton here.
You're calling him out for having formed an opinion ?

Digitalis basically said he finds it odd to use a tethered device while taking a handheld shot.. Unless he misspoke, I imagine he means a person holding an SLR in one hand and a cell phone in another. If this is the scenario he has in mind, I agree with him. It would certainly be more simple to hold the camera with both hands and use the attached articulating screen.. yeah? Using a tethered cell phone with the camera on a tripod is less odd to me but Digitalis may disagree and I would have to accept that :^|

---------- Post added 06-02-16 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just noticed something with my K1 that I've never seen on any other brand of camera that I've ever used. A unique, original, new, little feature that none of the Pentax APS-C cameras had, nor do Nikon, Canon or Fuji cameras.

The unique little feature that I'm referring to is a body cap that locks in place ...
I noticed this as well and thought it was a nice introduction to the camera.

Some cameras come with a cheap press-to-fit body cap and I have had some with nicer twist-to-secure caps but none locked.
06-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
he means a person holding an SLR in one hand and a cell phone in another.
this is exactly what I'm talking about...and I have seen this personally in many instances when I'm out and about. I happen to pay attention to other photographers I see, and I cannot help but critique their technique. Observing photographers using Tripods properly and lens hoods correctly pleases me to no end. Sloppy hand held technique*, or egregious misapplication of flash** is inexcusable.

*The owner of a Canon 60D who insisted on holding on to his camera body, and only the camera whilst using a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS: no supporting hand under the lens as common sense would dictate. He merely held his camera with his hands on both sides of it in a death grip - his knuckles were visibly white from the strain. When I commented on his unusual technique he said " this lens has IS, I could do this with one hand".... if you don't break the lens mount clean off the camera at least you can enjoy the arthritis you will develop you ignorant twit.

**e.g Wedding photographers outdoors with their flash firing while pointed straight up [no, they weren't using their flash bounce card for catch-lights] uselessly towards the sky is a distressing waste of battery power, and shows a lack of awareness - I have seen this mistake many times. I do not penalize tourists who accidentally use flash for landscape images to be such an issue as they aren't consciously deciding to use flash under these circumstances - the cameras automatic metering system makes that call and therefore it is excusable, and easily correctable by either deactivating automatic flash or changing the cameras metering pattern to spot or CWA.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-02-2016 at 05:40 PM.
06-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #44
Unregistered User

Ok. The image making capabilities of this machine are incredible and I've very little to dislike but there are two distinct things I think are worth mentioning that tarnish the camera's usability.

1. No ability to see changes when the LCD has been set to off. I like to keep my LCD off to keep battery use down. I also find the light of it distracting when looking through the viewfinder. However, If I am changing settings like fps, or pixel shift (custom settings on my camera) I have no idea of what is going on. Changing functions really needs to flash up the info on the LCD then switch off again after a few seconds for they of us who like the LCD display set to off as a default.

2. No more optical preview on my camera. I find the preview switch surrounding the shutter fantastic, especially setting it to a digital preview to bring up the histogram of a particular scene. (histogram here means I can switch it off everywhere else and review images without a histogram getting in the way) However, if I choose the digital preview, it cancels out the optical preview and there is no longer the ability to use it on the camera, as it can not be reset to other buttons like in previous cameras. I too use the optical preview, especially for product studio work, why its not available now on other buttons bewilders me.
06-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
I am changing settings like fps, or pixel shift (custom settings on my camera) I have no idea of what is going on.
Unfortunately the top LCD has been made too small to serve as a functional alternative for this usage scenario.