Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 04:44 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1 In-depth Review

The PF in-depth review of the Pentax K-1 full frame is now live!

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
In movie mode, you can select which of the two cards is used for file storage. You cannot do so in sequential mode for stills, however: a strange omission carried over from earlier models. To force the camera to switch to a specific slot, you must remove the card in the other slot and power cycle the camera.
Just getting started reading, but I've already learned something that's been minorly bugging me this whole time.

Edit: follow-up comment - what a monster read. Such a brilliant write-up. Thanks for putting in so much effort to go into critical detail. I'll be coming back to this over and over again.

Last edited by disasterfilm; 06-01-2016 at 11:03 AM.
06-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pls redo the audio for the K-1 shutter noise tests ...

Mounting the camera on a hard, resonant surface makes the K-1 sound really, scarily, jack-hammer loud, which it is not. Neither is the K-3, which also sounds LOUD on the video. Even just setting the camera on a rubber mat or table-cloth would damp the resonance and vibes that come from the hard surface the camera rests on. I can even hear an echo of the shutter noise bouncing back from somewhere.

Plus the microphone is picking up all sorts of ambient sounds - even some birds - so more effort needs to go into capturing just what needs to be captured, not everything audible within a 250m radius of the mic.

Any wedding, event or wildlife shooters planning on using the K-1 who are worried that the apparently loud, harsh noise of the camera will make it unusable in situations that demand quiet gear should check it out for themselves in store. It's not a loud camera, particularly for a full-frame.
06-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Already? Publishing the in-depth review so soon is pretty impressive.

06-05-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

Also....very interesting blog here. Goes into the history of Pentax. Touches on a lot of things everyone in this forum already knows......and some things we may not have known.
06-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theEight Quote
Also....very interesting blog here. Goes into the history of Pentax. Touches on a lot of things everyone in this forum already knows......and some things we may not have known.
A nice read
09-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Have there been any notable improvements via firmware in recent months? Just wondering. One of the biggest negatives I've read concerning the camera is the AF system. Seems like everyone agrees that it can take fantastic pictures - as long as nothing is moving.

05-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Have there been any notable improvements via firmware in recent months? Just wondering. One of the biggest negatives I've read concerning the camera is the AF system. Seems like everyone agrees that it can take fantastic pictures - as long as nothing is moving.
Everyone does not agree on this. There has been considerable discussion on PF of the issue and associated misunderstandings. Check out the photo sections and the series on horse jumping in particular. The auto focus works fine. It may not track as fast as some others but for most purposes it is fine. A poor mechanic blames his tools (old midwest saying).
07-27-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Dear friends of Pentax, I would like Pentax to make digital bodies compatible with the old time classic TTL system as the first Pentax *istD was.
The reason is that somehow there is a kind of difficulty in taking photos with TTL-P flash devices when the object is more than 3-4 meters far from the photographer.
Some people advised me to use manual adjustments, but I think that it is not the best solution to give hundreds of euros or dollars and have a device that cannot cooperate with the camera as in the past.
So, I wish TTL come back in the new bodies of Pentax!
12-31-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #10

I decided to not buy the Pentax K-1 Mark II because of the Accelerator Unit. I think it is totally wild that Pentax has chosen to go in and modify the RAW files to reduce noise in them. JPEG is a different story, but post-processing of the RAW files should be left to the photographers.

If the next version of K-1 has this feature as well, I will be sad, but then my next camera will be a Sony, a Fuji or a Nikon.
03-26-2024, 03:10 AM   #11

What's the lowest lens speed K-1 can focus at? I tried to find any spec but could not. Quick test of non-electric lens tells me F11 is a hard limit on K-1 but I remember it's typically said to be F8. I'm asking because I'd like a TC which will result in slightly worse than F8.
04-10-2024, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Casion Quote
What's the lowest lens speed K-1 can focus at? I tried to find any spec but could not. Quick test of non-electric lens tells me F11 is a hard limit on K-1 but I remember it's typically said to be F8. I'm asking because I'd like a TC which will result in slightly worse than F8.
It would definitely depend on available light. I'd suggest that you post this question in a separate thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: