Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 02:29 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Use your PC to wirelessly tether Pentax K-1

If your main target is to wirelessly control the K-1 and have liveview (that means: you are fine with the actual image files still going to the SD card) then you are not restricted to using a smartphone / tablet.

On a Windows PC or Mac just install Bluestacks (All About Bluestacks) and within it install the Image Sync App for Android.

During my trying I had to click on the app option "process without wireless connection" to make it work using the wireless connection. Somehow weird, but once I knew it, fine.

Now you can do anything you can do on your tablet including liveview.

I first tried Andy and the remote control worked, but no liveview.

If your PC is using LAN and also has a Wifi hardware: First disconnect the LAN cable (you will loose Internet access obviously) and connect to the K-1 using Wifi. If you later reconnect the LAN cable, both things work in parallel (internet for the PC and wireless from app to K-1.

With some manual actions you can even transfer the files from the camera to your windows file system (just google this about Bleustacks).

Last edited by beholder3; 06-02-2016 at 03:39 AM.
06-02-2016, 02:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
During my trying I had to click on the app option "process without wireless connection" to make it work using the wireless connection. Somehow weird, but once I knew it, fine.
This same bug happens on actual devices. Hope it gets fixed as it sure is misleading!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
Unregistered User

This I must try.
06-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this tip. I have downloaded to this laptop, and it works... sort of. I too cannot get the live view on the PC screen, but I can change all the settings. Has anyone got the live view to work?

06-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Unregistered User

Totally f...ed my computer up...

Make sure you are not running a virtual computer when installing...
06-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Thanks for this tip. I have downloaded to this laptop, and it works... sort of. I too cannot get the live view on the PC screen, but I can change all the settings. Has anyone got the live view to work?
I did. Liveview orked fine. Funny as the thing you described happened to me when I used the other emulator "Andy". That is the reason why I changed to the other one.
06-03-2016, 04:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I did. Liveview worked fine. Funny as the thing you described happened to me when I used the other emulator "Andy". That is the reason why I changed to the other one.
Hmmmm, so what is the problem and answer I wonder? I'm not a tech expert, I'll leave it to more modern folk to work out.

06-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Right, let's wait and see if someone who has an issue can solve it and describe the solution here.

I am a happy camper and satisfied with it working perfectly.
06-05-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so after I worked out what Andy is, downloaded it and tried the pentax app. I got exactly the same result. I must be doing something wrong.
07-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I decided to try Blue Stacks after reading this thread. I've used it in the past for other apps and it was OK. I installed it last night, connected to the K-1's wifi and started Image Sync. I was able to use live view, snap pictures, browse the images on the camera memory cards and download them to the laptop. The biggest challenge was finding where the image was stored when downloaded. It's definitely useable.

As for the live view issue, I had that on my actual android devices and I solved it when I learned that live view will not work if the camera is in a multi-exposure mode. Be sure it's in single exposure and it may well work. It did for me.