Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I will now try this, and see if it works. Will report back in a few hours.
You are a brave man....................

06-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The USB plug on the K-5 body, like the K-x, resembles a mini-B 4-pin connector, but looks to me like a proprietary, non-standard mini-plug (the supplied cable had a standard big USB2 Type A male plug on the other end though). So it's no surprise that a K-5 cable would not fit the K-1.
I think you may be correct regarding the K-5 cable. IIRC, the cable on my K10D was proprietary as well.

Steve
06-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are a brave man....................
Probably not. They must expect that any USB devices the camera connects to normally must carry some voltage.

Anyway, I plugged the K-1 into the wall-charger that I use for my other USB devices which is known to be low-power (ie it takes ages to charge anything), and the camera hasn't caught on fire yet. Battery I have in the K-1 is about 2/3 full, so we'll see in a while if it gets topped up.

When the camera is turned on while being 'charged', the top LCD comes on and I see 'Pc S' in the top left of the display, as well as the battery indicator. 'Pc S' must indicate the USB connection mode. None of the camera buttons work while connected to the USB (info, menu, shutter, GPS etc), and the viewfinder is blank. However in the viewfinder, the vertical and horizontal level indicators work, for some reason.
06-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usb would be connected when tethered too so I wonder how that changes things. If the buttons do not work then tethering cannot work?? Maybe a setting change?

06-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If the buttons do not work then tethering cannot work?? Maybe a setting change?
The USB mode in camera is set to the default MSC mode (Mass Storage Class). No buttons is normal for this mode: 'The camera cannot be operated while it is connected to a computer'.

If I set the USB mode to PTP before 'charging' the camera, the buttons will probably work, as the manual says tethering will work [with the right software] in PTP mode, which implies normal camera operation will be available.
06-03-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

so we'll see in a while if it gets topped up.
An update - attempting to power charge the camera via the USB port did nothing. In fact, running the camera with the USB powered up and plugged in, and the camera left on in that mode, drained the battery, rather than charged it. Not a surprise, really - but a pity nonetheless. Being able to charge in-body via USB would be handy sometimes while travelling or in the field.
06-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An update - attempting to power charge the camera via the USB port did nothing.
As expected. But thanks for testing.

06-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #23

It's not surprising that you can't charge the battery via USB. The USB charging spec is for 5V and Pentax batteries are usually around 8V. There is a USB power delivery spec which can supply 5V, 12V and 20V (spec 1 USB 1 and 2) or 5V, 9V, 15V or 20V (spec 2 with USB 3.1). These require a Power Delivery Aware cable and power supply. You would have to look at the output spec on the charger to see if it uses USB Power Delivery.

There is one PF member with the pet must have is USB charging. Even though I've mention the USB charging spec is 5V many times. You would have to use USB Power Delivery to charge the typical Pentax DSLR battery. If you don't have a Power Delivery aware cable and charging device (Power Delivery is bi-directional) then you have to carry around a cable and charger so you essentially gain nothing over carrying around a battery charger.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-03-2016 at 08:24 AM.
06-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #24

k-5 was mini-B I feel certain, though I no longer have a k-5 to check
Nope. That's a Pentax proprietary connector and not mini-B.

The K-5's socket carries AV and USB signals, and came with two separate cables, a proprietary plug to USB cable and a proprietary plug to two RCA ("cinch") connectors cable to connect the camera to old analogue TVs and/or VCRs.

Ricoh sells the cable as "I-AVC 7"
http://s2.media.ricoh-imaging.de/media/dd4ca59e7499662631c06d749f087f16;w400...eo_I-AV-C7.jpg
06-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #25

The connector on the I-USB7 cable is designated EC-U6 and can be bought off the shelf. Other cameras use the same connector but the pin outs may be different. It should not matter unless there are cross-overs of pins shorted for each companies specs.

I'm not sure if the I-AVC7 uses the same connector.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/297558...ml#post3283887

Edit: the I-AVC7 and I-USB7 use the same connector. The difference being is the AVC cable has RCA connectors for video and sound out.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.
07-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #26

pentax K1 USB

I thought initially that my K5 would work too, but as all found out it doesn't --- however rather than buying a new one right away I thought about my Kindle and alas it fits and it registers on my Mac.... so those that have kindles and a usb for them they can be used on the K1
11-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
According to the manual for the K1, a micro"B" cable is to be used to tether or transfer data. I have a micro usb b cable and it does not fit. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Sorry to reopen this thread.. But most of the replies have me a little confused.

I got that the port on the K-1 was the same as a cell phone jack [not a mac].
So I tried my cord from my samsung - the cord did not fit ! As I understand the Samsung jack is a micro USB.

Cords online seem like the samsung plug, so i dont want to order them.

Does anyone know if best-buy carries this cord? Just as well go there with body in hand.

dw
11-03-2019, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

For visual info, the K-1 port panel on the left hand side of the body uses the following USB and HDMI port plugs.