Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dual Memory card slots question.

Planning on getting the K-1 to replace my K5iis. (well the K5iis will become backup camera) I've never used a camera with dual card slots. If I set it up to duplicate my RAW files to both cards, if one card is an 8 gig and the second is a 16 gig, if I fill the 8 gig and put a fresh one in, will it continue to backup to the 16 gig card, or is it more one set of cards per shoot?

06-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Regardless of how your cards are set up, it should write every image you take to both cards that are in the camera at that time. Shouldn't matter if you switch one out at all. If you have it set to shoot to both cards but only have one card in, you will get a warning/reminder that there isn't a card in slot 2 (or 1); but even then it will write to the card that is inserted.
06-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Planning on getting the K-1 to replace my K5iis. (well the K5iis will become backup camera) I've never used a camera with dual card slots. If I set it up to duplicate my RAW files to both cards, if one card is an 8 gig and the second is a 16 gig, if I fill the 8 gig and put a fresh one in, will it continue to backup to the 16 gig card, or is it more one set of cards per shoot?
If one of the two cards fills up, the camera will display a memory card full message until you set it to only write to a single card, or until you replace the full card. You will not be able to take additional photos while the message is displayed. If you do replace the full card, the camera will continue saving to both.

I'll also take this opportunity to say that 16 + 8 Gb is far too little for the K-1. Grab a pair of 64Gb cards (or larger), especially if you plan to use the backup mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll also take this opportunity to say that 16 + 8 Gb is far too little for the K-1
So true. K-1 will eat those cards up as mere snacks.

06-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone. As for card size, I just used those numbers as examples, but you're probably correct. Larger cards will be in order. :-)
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for the info everyone. As for card size, I just used those numbers as examples, but you're probably correct. Larger cards will be in order. :-)
The cards with greater capacity don't cost much more unless you buy the fastest and newest thing afloat.

I have a K-5. I know the storage capacity that has made me happy for years. I doubled that capacity and rounded up for the K-1. I had been using 2-3 8 GB cards on a trip. I bought 4 16 GB cards... I adopt the school of thought to not have all pictures on one card. Others go to another school :^)

[i don't use motor drive and bracketing so i suppose i take a good many fewer exposures than some]
06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How to get K1 to write to card in slot 1? I use 2 cards & sometimes it starts on 2,pull out 1 card etc until it goes back to slot 1?? setting write 1st then 2 when 1 is filled up...am I missing a setting?
PS get 128GB & 64GB then enough space..so cheap these days

06-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So far, I found 32GB + 32 GB on the K-1 OK for few hours APS-C shooting session. The slower 4.4 fps of the K-1 kind of balances out the larger files generated, in terms of required card storage.

But if I was regularly doing pixel-shift, multi-exposures, bracketing, timelapse, video etc, it's easy to see how those 32GB cards might get filled up pretty quick.
06-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
How to get K1 to write to card in slot 1? I use 2 cards & sometimes it starts on 2,pull out 1 card etc until it goes back to slot 1?? setting write 1st then 2 when 1 is filled up...am I missing a setting?
PS get 128GB & 64GB then enough space..so cheap these days
Turn the camera off, pull out the card you don't want, turn the camera on, turn the camera off, put the card back in, turn the camera on.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Turn the camera off, pull out the card you don't want, turn the camera on, turn the camera off, put the card back in, turn the camera on.
Thanks Adam so that's the secret
06-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Thanks Adam so that's the secret
Indeed, and it baffles me that there's no menu option for it.

Adam

06-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Indeed, and it baffles me that there's no menu option for it.
I second the thank you for the information. I thought I was losing my mind. I'd format both cards to be sure I was starting with a clean slate and then go out and take pictures. I'd return home and put the card from slot 1 in my card reader and get the message "no photos" on my computer screen. Took out the 2nd card and tried it and there were the pictures. Weird camera feature, defective camera, or the presence of pixies taking a break from spreading their dust on the FA limiteds? Good to know it is normal behavior. I did kind of like the thought of the Pixies at play though.
06-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a design fault, that you can't change the cards in write mode. That it is possible to change cards, you can see in the read mode. I'l hope, they fix it in the firmware soon. It is the same problem with the K-3 with no fix.

I've got several heart attacks - because the missing pictures on card 1 - and found them afterwards on the other card..

But two cards is a more then useful feature, when you use them in serial mode and only remove only one card to transfer the pictures - at any time. I found myself several times with no card in the camera, with the K-5. (luckily there is an old 32 GB card always in the battery grip).
06-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have DNGs go to card 1 and JPEGs to card 2. Having the different file format on different card makes backup to an external winchester trivial. Haven't come close to filling card 1 yet during an outing/session, but if I do, I have spares. Carry four sets of 32Gb cards and a set of 64Gb cards.