Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the post Steve - I will try again tomorrow but my virus scanner seems to dislike something about ExifTool

06-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Adam, I am afraid, as mentioned above the new Pentax lenses are not reliably listed.
Updates are released frequently- are you using v10.17 or newer? We use exiftool on the forum and it's able to recognize the latest Pentax lenses

I'm not sure if the windows gui comes with the latest version of exiftool. I've only used the command line version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure if the windows gui comes with the latest version of exiftool.
No, it doesn't. You download the two programs separately. The GUI simply wraps standard ExifTool calls and parses the output into the display tables. It is sort of cool that way since you can update your ExifTool and the GUI is remains clueless.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-05-2016 at 10:58 PM.
06-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ah, Google - never heard of it. Give me a break.
No it isn't, it is not new to me. But unfortunately it does not work on my computer. The data just flashes on screen for a few milliseconds.

Remember you can always pipe the output to a textfile with the -echo option so you can examine at your leisure later on in Notepad or whatever.

06-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember you can always pipe the output to a textfile with the -echo option so you can examine at your leisure later on in Notepad or whatever.
The "flash and its gone" behavior is what happens when one drops the file directly on the exe. The solution is to create a shortcut to the exe and drop onto it. Either that or do as you suggested from the command line.

Steve
06-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

exiftool is used in tons of GUI applications on different platforms. One might be using it and not realizing it.

It can run in Lr as a plugin via the LensTagger plugin. (And some others; don't recall which.)

The Mac App Store has a ton of GUI applications that I believe make use of it, although few allow editing with it. The best I've seen is Exif Editor, Exif Editor

One of the best Mac applications for manipulating exif metadata is Graphic Converter, which uses exiftool and has lots of metadata manipulations built in. Just upgraded to v10, it now also does face tagging in an XMP compliant way with frames to locate the face in the image.
06-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ExifTool is definitely the best most complete utility there is for reading all metadata. If you can't read it, just wait until next week... That has been my finding. Phil Harvey updates that program so quickly.

If you actually find it isn't doing something you expect, it's worth corresponding with him to help get what you need implemented added. New lens, new camera features, etc.

The GUI has been the most complete software for viewing the data only because as someone mentioned earlier, it can show all the EXIF, XMP, IPTC data rather than being limited to some finite group of tags.

06-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks emalvick, I will try to contact Phil H. because the new Pentax lenses do not show up under the "Workspace" heading of the GUI and that is the place where I try to look because it condenses pretty well everything I want to know on the fly.

Thanks again
06-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I will try to contact Phil H. because the new Pentax lenses do not show up under the "Workspace" heading of the GUI
No point doing that. Phil is not the author of the GUI, nor does he play any role in maintaining it. The GUI has been abandoned by its author.

FWIW, I find the older version of the GUI (v4) to be simpler and more usable than the current version (v5).
06-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No point doing that. Phil is not the author of the GUI
I know I realised this too late myself was too late to correcting it. Fingers type faster than brain is geared up