Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone tried the Sigma Art 30 1.4 on Pentax K-1?

I have seen examples of the Sigma Art 30 1.4 on Canon FF bodies and it seems to be decent. Has anyone tried it with the K-1? How does it perform?

06-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't it designated as an APSC lens? It might still be okay on FF, but I doubt it will be perfect
06-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

No idea how different the optical formula of the Art version might be, but the standard Sigma 30mm f1.4 is definitevly an APSC-only lens.
06-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's going to depend heavily on your application, tastes, and definition of 'decent'. Wide open, the 30 Art has rather soft corners on APS-C (not as soft as the 30 EX, but still soft). Expand that to FF and add some light-to-heavy vignetting, and you either have an unusable mess or a lens with a lot of "character".

06-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's rated DC by Sigma rather than DG, Belnan ...
06-14-2016, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
. Wide open, the 30 Art has rather soft corners on APS-C
That is putting it mildly, the amount of coma this lens has is horrendous.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
unusable mess or a lens
IMO that lens is an unusable mess on any camera with the only exception being the Pentax Q.
06-14-2016, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is putting it mildly, the amount of coma this lens has is horrendous.

IMO that lens is an unusable mess on any camera with the only exception being the Pentax Q.
So... one for the "maybe" pile, then?

02-24-2019, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #8

I do very much apologize for this kind of "necroposting", I generally avoid it but I figured it might add something useful for the next person doing a forum search like I did. If there is a collection topic somewhere that I boneheadedly missed, please remove/move this post.

While absolutely not perfect (so much fringing), I always enjoyed the 30mm Art on my K-30 and K-3 II, so I was eager to find out if it works well in full frame. Quick online searches led me to believe it would be severely vignetted. From my quick check it seems like nothing that can't be fixed with post processing at F1.4 or a very slight crop at F16.

So the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM "Art" seems to work decently (or at the very least, usable) on my K-1 II. I set crop mode to FF and these are the resulting images at F1.4 and F16 (didn't really try in between). Also, please disregard the wrongly set date in the EXIF, I've accidentally put in 2018 instead of 2019 when I set up the camera and haven't bothered yet correcting it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Intrance Quote
I do very much apologize for this kind of "necroposting", I generally avoid it but I figured it might add something useful for the next person doing a forum search like I did. If there is a collection topic somewhere that I boneheadedly missed, please remove/move this post.

While absolutely not perfect (so much fringing), I always enjoyed the 30mm Art on my K-30 and K-3 II, so I was eager to find out if it works well in full frame. Quick online searches led me to believe it would be severely vignetted. From my quick check it seems like nothing that can't be fixed with post processing at F1.4 or a very slight crop at F16.

So the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM "Art" seems to work decently (or at the very least, usable) on my K-1 II. I set crop mode to FF and these are the resulting images at F1.4 and F16 (didn't really try in between). Also, please disregard the wrongly set date in the EXIF, I've accidentally put in 2018 instead of 2019 when I set up the camera and haven't bothered yet correcting it.
that is most impressive! the heavy vignette doesn't bother me the least, and can easily be fixed in post process.
i was debating on that lens and the 31mm 1.8. went with the 1.8 due to the size and it was 'full frame' certified.
02-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Intrance Quote
While absolutely not perfect (so much fringing), I always enjoyed the 30mm Art on my K-30 and K-3 II
Given some of the comments earlier in the thread, folks could be forgiven for thinking the Sigma 1.4/30 Art is a poor lens, but it's all down to one's requirements and tastes. For my use cases, it is one of my favourite lenses on the K-3... possibly my favourite APS-C prime lens. It's like a modern AF-equipped packaging of a favourite vintage prime, but fast too. Coma? Sure. CA? You betcha. But it renders beautifully.

The fact that it's possible to get decent results with it in certain use-cases on full frame is a surprising bonus
02-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

Well, based on the photo's posted it's clearly not full frame on the K1. Useable depending on the users needs but then again the FA35 F2 (old and new versions) is fully full frame although with screw drive and you give up a stop.
03-05-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Mike on this one; I readily admit there is a lot of bad stuff going on in the corners of the Sigma 30 (mine is the older, "worse" EX version). However, at family events, with poor lighting, and just wanting to get 2 faces in the shot with nice sharpness and good color, it really delivers MUCH better than my FA31. The center sharpness is astounding. The 31 wins every other use case, and anything smaller than f2.8, but for what I really need a 30 to do, if I had to sell one, I'd sell the 31.
03-18-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given some of the comments earlier in the thread, folks could be forgiven for thinking the Sigma 1.4/30 Art is a poor lens, but it's all down to one's requirements and tastes. For my use cases, it is one of my favourite lenses on the K-3... possibly my favourite APS-C prime lens. It's like a modern AF-equipped packaging of a favourite vintage prime, but fast too. Coma? Sure. CA? You betcha. But it renders beautifully.

The fact that it's possible to get decent results with it in certain use-cases on full frame is a surprising bonus
As a bonus, the lens looks pretty damn good on the K-1 II body as well .

I've yet to really try it in normal use cases though, will update when I do. I am sure there are better alternatives with complete FF coverage at any aperture and better corner performance. On the other hand, if this lens provides me with satisfying results for my use, and I already have it... Why spend money on something else?
03-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those photo's suggest it would be excellent used in square crop mode.
07-27-2019, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #15

Thought I would follow up here one more time with a few more practical examples of the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 Art on full frame. Wide open there is some slight vignetting that can be fixed in post quite easily. Image quality suffers at the edges and corners in most cases, quite logical for a lens designed specifically for APS-C. Stopped down to F/13 (smallest aperture I used while shooting yesterday) the vignetting needs to be cropped as it is just pure black. Anyway, here are some straight out of camera JPGs, judge for yourselves.

F/1.4 in dim interior

F/2.2 in similar dim interior

F/13 in bright outdoors

In my opinion still very usable as long as you are aware of its limitations, which is a very generic thing to say as this goes for most lenses of course. But if you have the lens already, I wouldn't shy away from using it in FF mode. It's still a very lovely fast lens, tack sharp, though with plenty of CA.