Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 03:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 and Iphone

Hi My first post ever to the pentax forums and i thought i would post something that maybe be of useful for someone

so i need a camera that i could shoot with on set while filming for reference stills, i want a full frame camera and i had been using a fuji but a wanted a bit more (plus i have quite few m42 lens laying around) .... so everyone was saying canon /nikon/canon/nikon wait for 5dMk4 there is new d850 coming out etc........ but i did a quite bit of research and the K1 fitted the bill price wise and adaptability for my old lens

i Have had it for 2 weeks now and it's has surpassed my expectations .

Anyway i thought i would post a little work flow that people may like i won't suit every one but it maybe be of some use to others

when i,m filming i don't have time to go back to a laptop and offload , do images tweak etc and i can,t really get access to what i,ve shot until it's back in edit

so i been using this workflow with my now retired Fuji Xpro1 so i can have a quick check of things and it helps me think about how to grade the footage in post production

but i suppose you could us this if you were out in the wood,s or wherever and don,t want to have a laptop or even an ipad with you

ok you will need

a pentax K1
and iphone 6 or 5 with a lot of space on it a 64gb or 128gb version
an eye-fi pro card 32 gb
an app called shuttersnitch
and adobe photoshop express for iphone

First off you need to link the eyefi card to the phone once have done this with eye-fi software, then you can configure it to link to shuttersnitch app ( the instruction are pretty easy but you must do the initial link with the eye fi software)

you never need to open the eye-fi software again

Then configure shuttersnitch App to save a copy of the files it imports to camera roll

with your eye fi card in your K1 ... set it to shoot DNG and snap away

once you have your shots turn the camera off then on, and on your iphone tell it to link to the eye-fi card network

open shuttersnitch which will now pull all the DNG files from the card to its own library on the phone and then copy a version to the camera roll

once that finishes

you can open any of the DNG files in adobe photo express ( you will get a alert box asking to open original or jpg so ....open the original not the embedded jpeg )

adobe photoshop express with then debayer the raw file for you grade,color do what you like ( it won,t work with the PEF files that why you need to do DNG)

save your finished full resolution Jpeg back to the camera roll and e:mail,instagram or facebook to your hearts content

an added bonus is that the camera roll version will be backed up to icloud automagically once you hit your home wifi

you can then also go back in and delete the shuttersnitch version to free all your space up

as well as making a copy on your hard drive from the eye-fi card

I,m sure this all works on an ipad ..but i have never tried it

it may seem like a few steps to get it setup but once configured it works really well and its quick

I haven't tried this with the SR files and movies don,t go over either

hope that helps someone and makes sense ........it is a truly lovely camera

06-17-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Have you tried using the built in wifi and app?
06-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Hi as far as i know you can't move a raw file with only jpegs so thats no use for what i do really
06-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you mean Image Sync, it will only save a JPEG file to your phone or tablet. You can, of course, either shoot in RAW+ or convert your RAW files to JPEGs in the camera and transfer them via Image Sync.

Image Sync is pretty good, by the way, with the above caution.

06-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Unregistered User

I read somewhere that image sync do allow you to save dng.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/323374-k-1-image-synch-dng.html
06-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shuttersnitch is great, but I don't try transferring raw to my phone. The smallest JPG is already higher resolution than the phone supports (or at least, higher resolution than my old 4s supported).

I tried it with a tablet for a week or so, and that gives you a nice, big image of what you're doing, as well as a warning if you did something stupid and over/underexposed. But it was awkward to carry around, and my wife didn't like using a tablet for watching movies or checking mail or anything, so I returned it.
06-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat workflow - but after all the honking about WiFi it seems a bit retrograde to install an EyeFi card in a K-1 to make Shuttersnitch read the files.

06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Unregistered User

Well, I have tested transfering a PEF from the K-1 to my Xperia Z5 Compact. No problem whatsoever. Not the fastest tranfer I have experienced but it works.Then opening in RawDroid.
06-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Neat workflow - but after all the honking about WiFi it seems a bit retrograde to install an EyeFi card in a K-1 to make Shuttersnitch read the files.
Something i like more about the Eye-fi (or idk how to setup in the K1) is that the Eye-fi transfer the images files once theyre on the card, with the Ricoh app it doesnt work like this, all images are showed on the cellphone but i manually must choose the one i want to transfer to my phone.

Its sound very minor problem but when im using the Eyefi on the K3 when im done shooting i open whatsapp/facebook apps and upload right away cause all the files are already there, on the K1 once i done, i open the Ricoh App select the photos, i must wait the transfer, then the upload.

I like the feature that i can choose from what card the transfer i can made but once i left selected the SLOT1 and waiting the transfer for a dng of 40mb wasnt that satisfactory...

06-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah i think you you can do this with android as their OS is much more forgiving but this is the work flow i found is nice easy on a iphone...which is what i use and i,m sure somebody else may have one Ha!.... i use it every shoot it,s pretty bullet proof

and it allow me to do more fiddling with the image afterwards ...
07-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

K1 & WiFi - missed the boat for me ...

I remain disappointed with the K1's WiFi implementation - it spoils an otherwise superb camera and appears to be a rushed and incomplete afterthought.

I have used Sony's A6000 for the last year or so and their Wifi and its inter-connectivity is a breeze. The A6000 will connect and transfer to and from iPhones, PC, Macs - and display images on a domestic TV running DLNA.

Why did Pentax ignore the most prolific OS (Windows - love it or hate it) in the world? - yes Sony force one to use their domestic Play Memories but this is a freeby unlike Adobe's LightRoom and Pentax's tethering. The other way of course is to run an Android emulator on my PC and then Ricoh's sink [sic] program.

One feature my wife and I enjoy - she has a Cybershot - is to log into the local WiFi router and play our day's pictures on any TV in the house via the network and DLNA - great over a wine or two! They look superb on a 55" HDTV and are a great way to review and critique pictures without being tethered and using Windows etc.

I'm hoping Pentax will fit these features into the K1 in a firmware upgrade.

No - I will not give my K1 back - ever!