Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
4K Time Lapse

Quick question. I was playing around with the 4K time lapse feature last night. Took a run of 300 shots. 10 seconds between the shots. I expected about a 10 second video based on 30 fps. Video ended up being about 30+ seconds. Is the 4K feature using some crazy frame rate, or is it adding extra frames to "blend" frames together?

06-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

What software are you using to make the timelapse? Check the frame rate setting.
06-17-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you will find that multiple copies of each frame are part of the final video. That is part of how Pentax does in-camera interval video.

Steve
06-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think you will find that multiple copies of each frame are part of the final video. That is part of how Pentax does in-camera interval video.

Steve
That's the only thing that makes sense. I wonder if that's why it looks choppy, or if I needed a longer shutter speed and shorter pause between shots. All trial and error.

06-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

I've made time lapse videos in the past on a K3 and I never experienced what was described. I think the issue is the frame rate setting. Depending on the subject matter, the interval between frames may contribute to the choppiness. I always used 2-3 second intervals to achieve a smooth flow of cloud movement, etc.
06-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
That's the only thing that makes sense. I wonder if that's why it looks choppy, or if I needed a longer shutter speed and shorter pause between shots. All trial and error.
Longer shutter speeds definitely help with this kind of thing. To be honest, I find the timelapse output from pentax cameras a good starting point for TL video, like many things, it can deal with some post processing.
06-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Banned

Unless it changed...... The camera makes images as you told it and makes two copieus of them. 5 of those make up for one second in the movie clip. So the frame rate is 15 fps, but only 5 different frames are in it.

06-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Unless it changed...... The camera makes images as you told it and makes two copieus of them. 5 of those make up for one second in the movie clip. So the frame rate is 15 fps, but only 5 different frames are in it.
Yes, something like that. Some time ago there was an extensive discussion of this along with methods to remove the extra frames. I believe that the most viable solution suggested was to do it the old fashioned way and shoot the intervals as stills, crop to 4K in post, and assemble using a video editor.

Steve
06-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All great information. Thanks all.
06-17-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to skip the timelapse feature all together... now I set it up to shoot intervals and merge the photos afterwards with ffmpeg. This lets you get exactly what kind of results you're looking for. I can find how I do this and post it up if there's interest.

Not a great video, but this is how I generated this timelapse.
06-17-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

The internal time laps video gets choppy due to repeated frames. There is a tutorial somewhere on the K-3 forum...