Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Imaging Resource does great Pentax reviews and they get hardly any flak. Most reviewers should steer clear of Pentax, because they are ill informed and hardly interested.

Oh that's what Norm said

07-01-2016, 05:50 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Imaging Resource does great Pentax reviews and they get hardly any flak. Most reviewers should steer clear of Pentax, because they are ill informed and hardly interested.

Oh that's what Norm said
He said it a lot quicker though. he gets the brevity award.
07-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Saying that people who don't know Pentax shouldn't review it sounds a bit elitist though... and I'm not sure that's the best way to spread the news about new products... Of course it would be good if reviewers realized that they might not be entirely familiar with the system, but perhaps even an imperfect review is often better than no review. In this particular case there did seen to be a few things that were over the top, but attacking the reviewer probably isn't really going to help...
07-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Maybe the reason why most reviewers stay away from Pentax is that their are overly sensetive and immediately go after anyone who says anything bad about their cameras. This thread is evidence enough of that. Every camera release of Pentax has been followed by lengthy arguements where people try to explain away the reviewers comments (mostly all with the same "they dont understand pentax.") Tony Northrup actually followed up his video with another one called "attack of the Pentaxians." I think there may be something to be found here, maybe how overly defensive Pentax users are. Criticism is a good thing. It's how I got from not having a portfolio that would get me hired to landing an internship.

Yes, Pentax's K-01 was designed by a well known designer and that didn't turn out to be a raging success but I think that might have something to do with Pentax's less than stellar choice of designer. You don't pick an interior designer to do a car. Besides someone at Pentax should have looked over the proposed design for the K-01 before it went to market. It's a little bit like the now famous "ho lee fuk" news incident. Mark newsom is an industrial designer. He designs plans and jewelry according to google. Why Pentax picked him out of all the designers is beyond me. If the K1 was simply a little easier on the eyes, I think it would be getting more attention.

Saying that only lifelong users who sleep with a Pentax under their pillow can review Pentax is just silly and elitist like the above dude said. It's just making excuses.

07-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Maybe the reason why most reviewers stay away from Pentax is that their are overly sensetive and immediately go after anyone who says anything bad about their cameras.
From my reading of many reviews, this sort of reaction is by no means restricted to Pentax users.
07-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Saying that people who don't know Pentax shouldn't review it sounds a bit elitist though... and I'm not sure that's the best way to spread the news about new products... Of course it would be good if reviewers realized that they might not be entirely familiar with the system, but perhaps even an imperfect review is often better than no review. In this particular case there did seen to be a few things that were over the top, but attacking the reviewer probably isn't really going to help...
Reviewers should take the he time to learn the product before reviewing it. So much more professional - and makes the comments pleasant, too.

Amazingly to me, DPR is trying.

Conscious or not, it appears Tony n ends to keep 'othering' Pentax to 'center' his Canon fetish.
07-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #247
Banned

Maybe the reason why most reviewers stay away from Pentax is that their are overly sensetive and immediately go after anyone who says anything bad about their cameras. This thread is evidence enough of that. Every camera release of Pentax has been followed by lengthy arguements where people try to explain away the reviewers comments (mostly all with the same "they dont understand pentax.") Tony Northrup actually followed up his video with another one called "attack of the Pentaxians." I think there may be something to be found here, maybe how overly defensive Pentax users are. Criticism is a good thing. It's how I got from not having a portfolio that would get me hired to landing an internship.

Yes, Pentax's K-01 was designed by a well known designer and that didn't turn out to be a raging success but I think that might have something to do with Pentax's less than stellar choice of designer. You don't pick an interior designer to do a car. Besides someone at Pentax should have looked over the proposed design for the K-01 before it went to market. It's a little bit like the now famous "ho lee fuk" news incident. Mark newsom is an industrial designer. He designs plans and jewelry according to google. Why Pentax picked him out of all the designers is beyond me. If the K1 was simply a little easier on the eyes, I think it would be getting more attention.

Saying that only lifelong users who sleep with a Pentax under their pillow can review Pentax is just silly and elitist like the above dude said. It's just making excuses.
https://www.google.nl/search?q=marc+newson&client=tablet-android-samsung&prm...WOCufj2MLaM%3A

07-01-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally watched these. I was expecting worse from my prior bit of reading in the thread here. Forgive me for repeating stuff you've already said because I haven't read through all your reviews of his review here in the thread.

There was enough that I could track with and appreciate from what he put forth. I love my k1... Landscape is my favorite genre so I liked his praise for it's abilities there. I don't mind his comments about the crammed focus points because it is something that bothers me sometimes too, and I am guessing from when I've tried to track down my little doggies running around in the back yard that it's still not on par with Nikon for action shooting. I also know that with enough practice and discoveries of techniques that I could get more keepers and make do, but that is balanced in his review by his clearly stated purpose for his intended target audience...

The only thing (where I am probably repeating what many of you have already said) I really don't like is his dismissal of legacy glass. He seems to contradict himself when he goes back to the french site to dismiss the Three Amigos for not being sharp enough, then he goes right on to join the 'sharpness is not that important' crowd... So he dismisses legacy glass primarily for not being sharp enough but agrees that sharpness is not all that important. That's what I got from it, though maybe I missed something and will just be lumped into his straw man category.

I haven't seen his recommended video about the shortcomings of legacy glass on digital, but it seems to me there should at least be some visual demonstration/comparison provided if one is going to dismiss legacy glass to the degree he seems to do so in these videos. Fair enough it could just be my bias and unprofessional guesswork, because I do love mi Amigos, but it seems to me from what I've seen during my time in the hobby that good glass from any era and manufactuer is pretty simply and sufficiently - good glass. Please Tony, leave out the chart slides next time and replace them with some shots... Put any of your most recommended digital CaNik glass to photos at 31/43/77 against the Amigos and show everyone how much better the digi-glass really is.
07-01-2016, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #249

Now you are undermining your own "but I'm a designer, I know this stuff" argument. It isn't enough to be a designer, you should be the "right" designer, apparently, to know the right design. I've yet to see your credentials.

(Now, I don't mean to be too mean, but you keep bringing up the "I'm a designer" argument in multiple threads and I just am not convinced that you have demonstrated sufficient authority to argument from authority.)
07-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #250
Pentaxian

Saying that people who don't know Pentax shouldn't review it sounds a bit elitist though...
Saying people should have a clue about what they write about is elitist? Really?

I guess this is the internet age where every one should just run off at the mouth whether they have anything useful to contribute or not. Is that it?

From my perspective you're arguing for the dissemination of ignorance, is there som either way to see it that I'm missing?
07-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Saying people should have a clue about what they write about is elitist? Really?

I guess this is the internet age where every one should just run off at the mouth whether they have anything useful to contribute or not. Is that it?

From my perspective you're arguing for the dissemination of ignorance, is there som either way to see it that I'm missing?
Why can't I go out and buy a Nikon camera and post my review of it on YouTube? In this era anyone can post anything. There's no newspaper or anything standing behind my review. If you don't like it, that's fine...

I guess it is now left up to the viewer to determine if what they are watching is trustworthy etc. There are pros and cons...
07-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Why can't I go out and buy a Nikon camera and post my review of it on YouTube? In this era anyone can post anything. There's no newspaper or anything standing behind my review. If you don't like it, that's fine...

I guess it is now left up to the viewer to determine if what they are watching is trustworthy etc. There are pros and cons...
Well that adequately describes the situation as it exists, but it also explains why I never visit a site twice unless I find something useful there the first time. Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame, unless your video is so bad I turn it off after 5 minutes.
07-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You most certainly can do that.

But you aren't Tony Northrup, with a carefully-built reputation as a disinterested, independent, professional reviewer.

And you didn't beg, beg, for a K-1 to review.
07-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #254
Veteran Member

Yep... not trying to defend his review. And he risks his reputation if he posts poor reviews. Even some Canon shooters will recognize the flaws...
07-01-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well if only Pentax lovers were to review Pentax cameras, all the reviews would be glowing and you would have non-Pentax users buying cameras and saying "this camera is a piece of rubbish, the AF is not as good as my old Canon, RA RA RA RA RA........."

You can't all have it your own way. People are going to review your beloved camera and are going to put it down, because believe it or not, it has it's faults, as does the system and as do the lenses.

I am a heavily invested Pentax MF user and I know my cameras faults, but I don't put down every reviewer that says "there's no LF lenses", because it's true.

If The Camera Store and Tony Northup publishing videos taking the piss out of Pentaxians and their delicate feelings is not enough to make you realize this situation, then nothing else ever will.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-21-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Edited vulgarity