Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 - Bug? M-Lens - M-Mode - Live View - EV compensation behaviour

Hi everybody,

at the same configuration as described above (thread title) my K-5’s Live View shows the effect of EV compensation in the displayed image and in the Live View histogram.

At same configuration inclusive setting „use aperture ring“ etc. K-1 doesn’t show the effect of EV compensation in Live View in any way. In other modes like Av and TAv where only open aperture captures are possible it works as expected (K-5 like).

Any ideas about this? - a K1 bug? and if not, is it somehow possible to get the Live View / EV compensation in M mode working like on K-5?

acoufap

p.s. firmware 1.00 and 1.10, M1.7/50 and M2.8/28

Last edited by acoufap; 06-20-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added Lenses in p.s.
06-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Only A series lenses or newer support live view exposure preview in M mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for this information. So there's really a difference compared with K-5!

I'd really like to know - why.

---------- Post added 2016-06-20 at 19:46 ----------

I now tried my KA lens Vivitar Series 1 70-210 in A-setting and M-mode.

EV-Compensation also doesn't show any effect in LV!

But in A-setting we can change time and aperture with under- and over-exposure effect shown in LV.

So no EV compensation is needed.

How does K-3 work in this respect? Where got the "M-LV-EV-function" lost?
06-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be wrong, but...
I think there have been threads with discussions which Pentax bodies do not allow (or just ignore) EV comp settings in M mode with ANY lens. That was before the introduction of the K-3.

06-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
EV-Compensation also doesn't show any effect in LV!
Only in M mode, and only on the 645Z, K-1, K-S1, K-S2, and newer. The K-3 exposure preview feature was not implemented on the K-3.

It would be nice if there was an option that could let the user customize the behavior, since at the end of the way there's no single "best" way of going about it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Hi everybody,

at the same configuration as described above (thread title) my K-5’s Live View shows the effect of EV compensation in the displayed image and in the Live View histogram.

At same configuration inclusive setting „use aperture ring“ etc. K-1 doesn’t show the effect of EV compensation in Live View in any way. In other modes like Av and TAv where only open aperture captures are possible it works as expected (K-5 like).

Any ideas about this? - a K1 bug? and if not, is it somehow possible to get the Live View / EV compensation in M mode working like on K-5?

acoufap

p.s. firmware 1.00 and 1.10, M1.7/50 and M2.8/28
Sounds like good news too me, this whole idea of darken and lighten the live view depending on exposure setting is just wrong. If I'm out in bright light and want to underexpose a shot, then the display gets dark for some stupid reason and the display that already was hard to see in the sun now gets even darker. Pointless.
06-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Sounds like good news too me, this whole idea of darken and lighten the live view depending on exposure setting is just wrong. If I'm out in bright light and want to underexpose a shot, then the display gets dark for some stupid reason and the display that already was hard to see in the sun now gets even darker. Pointless.
Most of the time there are different ways to see things.

Look at it as an opportunity to simulate your artistic vision of a scene directly in LV. For me it makes sense to see how an image is exposed in best approximation to my vision that may involve EV compensation in some kind. If I want it to be in black & white I in addition choose appropriate mode (monochrome) so I can see the image in black & simulation and maybe underexposed as wished. Of no value? I don't think so.

Although you're right if you want a bright image to determine best focus by manual focusing. That's a technical approach.

If we put things together Adam's suggestion is really good IMO. If we could toggle between both LV presentations by example simply by pushing one of the function buttons would be nice. It should be configurable.

What really doesn't make any sense to me is to show a LV histogram that doesn't fit the image that will be taken.