Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
The squishy shutter button is a feature on pretty much all pro DSLRs
The soft threshold is a new implementation for Pentax. Everyone who has used Pentax for a while has become accustomed to the firm 'shelf' and push through of the old shutter button. The new soft touch is just different; difference is noteworthy.

06-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree it is different, and I prefer the K-1 button. Contrary to it feeling "mushy", it has a stronger spring in it compared to the K-3 and to a greater extent, the K-5, which had such a weak spring it sort of gave the impression that it might have been broken.

Lee
06-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Ok, this illustates why I stick with pentax.
Here is my Domke bag (which my friend calls my man purse ), loaded with my K-1, 31mm and 77mm, ready to go to a party. When i had my nikon system, I chose my 35 f1.8g, but my 85mm f1.8g stayed home. The D810+35+85 would not fit in my purse uuh i mean bag.
So, when I compare my previous Nikon kit vs this K-1 kit, i get same IQ, SR AND an extra very useful focal length lens. The only sacrifice i am making versus the Nikon kit is the silent focusing. Now, for some that is a big deal. For me, of course i do like silent focusing...but the benefits far out weight the drawbacks.

This is by no means a big bag either...in fact I got it for my X-T1 kit.
I use the same bag (f-5xb) and fit my 43 in as well.....you are not trying hard enough.....

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-30-2016 at 02:16 AM.
07-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So just got back from my east coast (NYC and Boston) trip. Here are my thoughts:

I took my K-1, 15-30, 43mm, 77mm, FA135mm, a couple spare batteries and the charger. All fit comfortably in a shoulder bag
The K-1 + 15-30mm was my walk around combo and I took about 75 percent of my shots with that combo. It was a little bit heavy but no problem with my optech bandolier strap. I wouldn't want to walk miles with it around my neck.

The tilting screen was invaluable! I took shots from all kinds of weird angles that I wouldn't have attempted without it. It was plenty bright enough when I turned it to daylight +1 mode. Also manual focus was a snap with magnification. Love the rear screen

Probably the only negative I experienced with the camera was that its wake up time is slow compared to the D810. Most of the time it didn't come into play. But there were a few times where I missed a shot because the camera took a bit too long to wake up Note this isn't start up from being off, in that case it's quite fast. This is when the camera is On but sleeping. That was frustrating. Otherwise it was a pleasure.

Now...the lenses.
The 15-30mm is awesome. Love it. It is not small by any standard, but it was great. Only drawback is that the hood is too small and you can get some flaring. I used my hand to block out stray light.
43mm of course was great. Small and I really liked the IQ on FF. It is not a fast focusing lens though.
77mm is really sharp from wide open. It renders very beautifully and the bokeh is delicious. But unfortunately the purple fringing is definitely an issue at anything wider than f4 or so.
FA135 I used a lot for city scapes. This lens is great if you know its personality. At infinity wide open, it is soft and you are going to get a purple glow making it almost unusable in that situation. But for portraits at closer distances (not infinity) it does really well. And it worked really well at f8 for the cityscapes. It was really sharp.

07-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably the only negative I experienced with the camera was that its wake up time is slow compared to the D810. Most of the time it didn't come into play. But there were a few times where I missed a shot because the camera took a bit too long to wake up Note this isn't start up from being off, in that case it's quite fast. This is when the camera is On but sleeping. That was frustrating. Otherwise it was a pleasure.
I noticed that same thing from my d40x. The d40x would wake almost instantaneously and perform whatever action I just told it to do.

With the k-1 there's 1/4-1/2sec lag then you can tell it to do something. I've been trying to train my self to tap the shutter button as I grab it just to wake it up. But it does require an extra step and a little bit of a wait. Hopefully a firmware update can fix that.

I'm with you on the mushy shutter button feeling. I miss the tactile feed back.
07-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
I noticed that same thing from my d40x. The d40x would wake almost instantaneously and perform whatever action I just told it to do.

With the k-1 there's 1/4-1/2sec lag then you can tell it to do something. I've been trying to train my self to tap the shutter button as I grab it just to wake it up. But it does require an extra step and a little bit of a wait. Hopefully a firmware update can fix that.

I'm with you on the mushy shutter button feeling. I miss the tactile feed back.
I believe the K-3 was the first Pentax that had the longer (too long) wake-up time. It's like that on the K-3 II, and the Preview K-3 review noted it was longer than the K-5. Hopefully they will fix it, but they haven't done anything about it on the K-3 II yet. (Though that camera has had no firmware updates at all.)
07-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just received a like new Tamron 70-200mm.
I had one a while back with my K-5. While I really liked the optics, the noise to me was almost unbearable so I decided to part ways with it.

Since I love 70-200mm's so much, but cannot afford the Pentax version, I decided to give the Tamron another shot.
Wow
I cannot believe how much quieter the screw drive is! That combined with the close focusing feature make this lens a real treat and a great bargain.

07-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #23

I just received a like new Tamron 70-200mm.
I had one a while back with my K-5. While I really liked the optics, the noise to me was almost unbearable so I decided to part ways with it.

Since I love 70-200mm's so much, but cannot afford the Pentax version, I decided to give the Tamron another shot.
Wow
I cannot believe how much quieter the screw drive is! That combined with the close focusing feature make this lens a real treat and a great bargain.
Good to hear. I don't mind the screwdrive at all on the newer bodies. Can't afford the new DFA* right now. I've got an FA* 80-200 and bought a Sigma 70-200 HSM II for little money to compare. The Sigma is currently having it's firmware updated, and the modification for the K-1 done. I feel like I'm still getting used to the totally different field of view on all my lenses on the K-1, although it's a definite plus for some to get the full view (FA* 24).