Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
dont open the box. put it in a time capsule. wait for 100 years. sell it and make millions.

06-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Just received my very own K-1 from Adorama a few minutes ago !

Is there some kind of proper Protocol when first unpacking and inspecting everything ?
Still in the stage of smelling the freshly manufactured Aroma......Lovely !

Should I jump right in and do a shutter actuation count and then immediately slap a lens on and take a test shot ? Or is it permissible to savor the aroma for a day or so until the moment is Right ?

Protocol....Protocol........whats the PF Protocol ?

Cant decide if I should break her in properly with a Takumar 24mm........or wait a couple days and use a more subtle Rikenon 105mm Macro approach.........or Maybe even a SMCK 35mm 3.5..........Descisions....descisions.......lol.
Nah, for me, I was just filming whole unpacking process and found myself kinda stupid sometimes reviewing that record =))
06-21-2016, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do what I did. I picked it up at a camera store in Billings. Montana along with the 28 to 105mm lens.. Played with it a little that night and next day went to Yellowstone. Seemed to work for me. Either the 28-105 or the 150 - 450 lens were on the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Do what I did. I picked it up at a camera store in Billings. Montana along with the 28 to 105mm lens.. Played with it a little that night and next day went to Yellowstone. Seemed to work for me. Either the 28-105 or the 150 - 450 lens were on the camera.
Ooooohhhh.....Nice ! I just ordered the DFA 24-70 today........but its going to be about 10+ days to get it. The 28-105 almost got me though and it was a tough choice......But I can only have one modern new lens.
As soon as the Smoke from my Burnt Credit Card clears out of here.......will take the K-1 out and start doing settings and such and familiarize myself with the functions some more......at least check firmware and shutter count too........ Might as well set my name/copyright ........and do the date settings.......and Cards format.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-21-2016 at 06:29 PM.
06-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the whole, "Which lens for IMGP0001.dng" thing. Stuck the battery in (store manager couldn't believe it had some charge). Slapped on my lens. Focused on the section just for grins - Beep Click!

"No Card In Camera."
06-21-2016, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Protocol Option
1. Unpack K-1
2. Install battery
3. Attach favorite "walk around" lens
4. Walk around!
5. Return
6. Replace lens 1 with next favorite lens
7. Walk around!
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all lens options have been exhausted.
9. END
06-21-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Protocol Option
1. Unpack K-1
2. Install battery
4. Walk around!
5. Return
7. Walk around!
9. END
started with 1.
2. fully charged battery in
3.2x new SD cards in
4. quick look through the Menu, set the time, update the firmware, change few settings ( CIF, aperture ring on etc )
5. open the drawer , close my eyes, grab the lens , ok , the first one was FA31 Limited
6. take a few shots, change the lens
7,take a few shots, change the lens.............etc
still doing it, lovely camera!

06-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Protocol Option
1. Unpack K-1
2. Install battery
4. Walk around!
5. Return
7. Walk around!
9. END
LOL.......I Seem to be stuck in this stage !
06-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
dont open the box. put it in a time capsule. wait for 100 years. sell it and make millions.

I think closer to reality would be along the lines of opening a time capsule today and pulling out a pristine K1000 or even Asahiflex.. it's worth about 100 bucks... maybe.

But probably not even that advantageous since it is essentially a computer. It will be so old in 100 years it will be laughable. By then, if humanity is still around, kids might have contact lenses with better image quality.. this K-1 will be a hulking, heaping relic to point and laugh at in the museum.
06-23-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just read another PF member that just got his new K-1 and not only did it immediately fail with a strange screen , but was obviously used before he received it...... verified through a shutter count !

Decided to check mine and quit sniffing it......lens used was a SMC-A 24mm.......Shutter count on mine ...... 1

Very pleased......now that I have a USED Camera on my hands......I Can Get Busy and quit staring , smelling , and kissing the thing.......lol !