Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tend to agree in regards to their reviews/testing and take those with a grain of salt.* That being said, I don't remember anything in my comment about reviews or testing.

I was talking about their survey-driven product reliability estimates. In addition to product testing, CU surveys their members several times a year regarding the reliability of their purchases and the types of issues that they encountered. I have taken part in their camera, electronics, auto, and appliance surveys several times. At present, the camera reliability figures are the result of predictive statistics applied to five years survey results with the current crop including data from 2010 through 2015. The numbers project the percentage of cameras that may fail or require repair by year three of ownership.

In other words, no cameras were harmed or tested to determine reliability ratings. It is actuarial science in action, similar to that used for determining insurance risk and projection of election results. I know enough about that stuff to be dangerous (graduate coursework in prob 'n stat) and to appreciate what they have done. I find their camera and electronics reliability ratings accurately reflect my personal experience as well as that of friends and acquaintances.

To be complete, here are the current ratings (projected failure rates at three years) for interchangeable lens cameras, by brand:
Panasonic: 4%
Canon: 5%
Sony: 7%
Pentax: 7%
Nikon: 8%
Olympus: 8%
According to CR, differences of less than 5 points are insignificant. They also include a YMMV disclaimer.

Steve

* I use their ratings as a way to start product research, particularly for price/feature spread. Often enough, my purchase decision will match their recommendation/rating. Case in point might by my Lawn Boy mower which cannot handle the heavy growth of damp grass typical of my region, but also refuses to die. That goes to show that I am at least as dumb as their staff.
7% FAILURE RATE together with horrible turn around time, time to clap my hands bravo

06-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
7% FAILURE RATE together with horrible turn around time, time to clap my hands bravo
NikonForums
06-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
I had a useful reply, but as I was crafting it, it occurred to me that it would be a series of wasted keystrokes. I can offer one positive comment, however. While you only know one song, you certainly are consistent in how you sing it.

Steve

(...no more...)
07-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #49
GRB
Pentaxian

I recently obtained a Pentax D FA 28-105. It caused no issues with my K1; however, so far I have no significant improvement over my collection of Tamrons.

07-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by ukhozi Quote
OK. Shuttercount reads 32 - 7 of which are mine! So someone has played around with the camera before it came to me.
Might have been on display at the dealers shop? Have to talk to them about it!
I'll bet it's right from the factory. They do a few types of test shots in factory on every camera (at least most brands do) to make sure it's functioning.
07-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CLACKERS@ SAYS never Happens
07-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cam_abyss Quote
I'll bet it's right from the factory. They do a few types of test shots in factory on every camera (at least most brands do) to make sure it's functioning.
When I bought my K-30 used-like-new from KEH, the shutter count on the first picture I took was 4, which barely left room for whatever activity caused this camera to be classified as "used".