Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

FF mode on a designated Cropped mode lens performance like DA 300 SDM

Bought this DA 300 since it has lens compensation in the K-1 for use at fullframe and appears to be good into the corners. But this might apply to lenses like the DA 15mm I saw some awesome results from. It is not intended for full frame but you could shoot with it in FF mode right?
Been looking at the many awesome photos in the thread askingfor K-1 images. I see some from the DA 300mm and the 200mm. They are mostlybeing shot in Crop mode.
Why wouldn’t a person shoot them in FF mode even if theythink they are going to crop a little out in post processing? If you end uptrimming off a bit are you still getting more original image to work with byusing FF? Are there some intrinsic flaws that might impact the image if shot inFF vs. Cropped mode when the lens is designated cropped mode by themanufacturer?
Are there other optical reasons for using crop mode on a K-1with a lens that may work in FF? I will assume there is a pretty good file sizedifference and assume that might be some reason for storage and speed.

06-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Burst rate. If you're using the 300 for shooting wildlife (as many do), you want to rifle off as many photos as possible in as short a time as possible. There's a significantly speed advantage in crop mode.
06-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 300 is certified FF, not corrected FF. DA*200 is corrected FF. Rumors a new D-FA 200 (*?) is in the works.

300 K-1 Laboratory

Last edited by monochrome; 06-23-2016 at 06:51 PM.
06-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you use the DA 300 in the crop mode on the K-1 you will get a 16 megapixel file vs the 36 megapixel file if shot in the FF mode. When shooting crop sensor mode the frame rate of the K-1 becomes 6.5fps vs 4.4fps in the FF mode. The crop mode give an effective focal length of 450mm vs 300mm in the FF mode. if you need the extra 150mm to fill the frame and a faster frame rate it would make sense to shoot in the crop sensor mode with the K-1. The better option would be to shoot with a K-3 with it's higher megapixel count (24) and 8.9fps burst mode.

06-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
DA* 300 is certified FF, not corrected FF. DA*200 is corrected FF. Rumors a new D-FA 200 (*?) is in the works.
Both should have FF correction profiles?

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Why wouldn’t a person shoot them in FF mode even if theythink they are going to crop a little out in post processing? If you end uptrimming off a bit are you still getting more original image to work with byusing FF? Are there some intrinsic flaws that might impact the image if shot inFF vs. Cropped mode when the lens is designated cropped mode by themanufacturer?
You get 6.5 FPS in crop mode, and a larger burst buffer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve - I shoot the K-1+DA*300+ HD1.4 TC in FF mode routinely. I only switch to crop mode when I need the higher burst rate. I often need to crop tightly but it doesn't matter to me if I start from FF or crop. For those times when I only need to crop out the corner vignette, I end up with more pixels than crop mode.
06-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

300 K-1 Laboratory
??? What does this mean? Both were always rumored to be based on FF designs. What does this distinction imply and what is the source?

06-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another advantage of shooting in crop mode is having AF points right to the edge of the frame.
06-24-2016, 02:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

300 K-1 Laboratory
As far as I know, both of those lenses have exactly the same status. They are both on the official "K-mount lenses compatible with Full Frame" chart, and both have lens aberration correction in the K-1.

(I have seen a patent for an FF 200mm f/2.8. I've read that the DA* 200mm is an older design than the DA* 300mm and needs an update. It appears to match the "Large Aperture Medium Telephoto" prime lens on the FF roadmap).
06-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
As far as I know, both of those lenses have exactly the same status. They are both on the official "K-mount lenses compatible with Full Frame" chart, and both have lens aberration correction in the K-1.

(I have seen a patent for an FF 200mm f/2.8. I've read that the DA* 200mm is an older design than the DA* 300mm and needs an update. It appears to match the "Large Aperture Medium Telephoto" prime lens on the FF roadmap).
And they both are a joy to use on the K-1!
06-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

300 K-1 Laboratory
Ignore this. I don't know what it means either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both should have FF correction profiles?

You get 6.5 FPS in crop mode, and a larger burst buffer.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
??? What does this mean? Both were always rumored to be based on FF designs. What does this distinction imply and what is the source?
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote