Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 12:56 AM   #1

Pentax K-1 variants

Hi all,

I have read previous posts re K-3 II and the omission of it's built-in flash which is many people find it useful for wireless flash setup. I am pretty sure that Pentax was aware that many users missed the feature. With the production of of K-1, I wonder if they are at all considering a variant which has built-in flash for the consumers to choose from between flash or GPS, or is it already in the drawing board for for K-1 II.

Just my thoughts....

06-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reyprotski Quote
Hi all,

I have read previous posts re K-3 II and the omission of it's built-in flash which is many people find it useful for wireless flash setup. I am pretty sure that Pentax was aware that many users missed the feature. With the production of of K-1, I wonder if they are at all considering a variant which has built-in flash for the consumers to choose from between flash or GPS, or is it already in the drawing board for for K-1 II.

Just my thoughts....
While a flash might make a return in a future Pentax full frame body, I don't think they are going to redesign the K-1 to incorporate a flash as I don't see this as a flaw. It's not uncommon for other cameras in this class to lack a flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2016, 03:49 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
... and it's gonne be named: K-2
06-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

I was completely new to the Pentax line when I bought the K-1. I then saw the new K-70 announced. Noticed in the accessories that you can order Interchangeable focusing screens. In the distant past I used the diagonal split screen and much preferred that. I figured this must be something new for Pentax so replacement focusing screens was not a feature of the K-1. Then I found that the older APSC cameras sometimes seem to have this. Why wouldn't the K-1 have the replace your focusing screen feature? Wonder if it will in a future version?

06-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Because the K-1 has configurable grids, squares and other geometrical forms in its viewfinder.
06-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #6

Wonder if they could simulate the split image with firmware?
06-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Not possible, since unlike a split prism aid, which relies on two smaller virtual images that are optically projected through separate prisms and already in-focus in your eye being aligned with each other, at no point except when the image is in focus is a focused image ever hitting the solid surface of the screen in your K1.
Actually an electronic split image is possible. I saw a Canon 60D tricked up with a Magic Lantern firmware - mainly intended to improve its usability in video. In addition to having microphone level meters at the top of the live view image, there was also an option to have a little box at the top left that worked exactly like a traditional split image. It was fascinating to see the slightly soft top and bottom halves move together and get sharp as focus was achieved - exactly like the traditional SLR finder!

I admit, I was mystified how they got it to work. But obviously it can be done, but only with an electronic live view image.

06-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 and other DSLR cameras from Pentax allow you to do away with accessory focusing screens with the auto focus system. First, I set my camera on the center spot focus point to limit the area I choose to focus on. Now, if you put the camera into Manual focus mode, or switch your lens to manual focus (I just did this with my K-1) and then manually focus the lens while attempting to use the auto focus feature (push the AF button for instance) when the point is in focus, the display flashes and the "focus achieved" beep occurs. I liked the combination of the older focus screens, both microprism for long lenses and split image range finder for low light. This system works just as well!
NOTE: I do not use the shutter release button to activate auto focus, I use the AF button on both my K-7 and K-1. The half push of the shutter button thing always drove me crazy and once I have achieved the focus point, I wanted the camera to stay locked onto that without worrying my finger slipped a it. If the method described above does not work with the shutter button, then reconfigure the camera to use the AF button.
06-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The K-1 and other DSLR cameras from Pentax allow you to do away with accessory focusing screens with the auto focus system. First, I set my camera on the center spot focus point to limit the area I choose to focus on. Now, if you put the camera into Manual focus mode, or switch your lens to manual focus (I just did this with my K-1) and then manually focus the lens while attempting to use the auto focus feature (push the AF button for instance) when the point is in focus, the display flashes and the "focus achieved" beep occurs. I liked the combination of the older focus screens, both microprism for long lenses and split image range finder for low light. This system works just as well!
NOTE: I do not use the shutter release button to activate auto focus, I use the AF button on both my K-7 and K-1. The half push of the shutter button thing always drove me crazy and once I have achieved the focus point, I wanted the camera to stay locked onto that without worrying my finger slipped a it. If the method described above does not work with the shutter button, then reconfigure the camera to use the AF button.

This is very helpful. I have the K 2/28 on there. I already had the AF button setup to try without using the shutter release back when I had my 77 on. So the center large circle was empty and then when the spot was in focus the little focus square shows up. Disappears again when it goes out. Very nice so I do not have to move my attention down to the bottom for that confirmation. This was with the Pot only set for focus. When I changed to the 9 spot only a few out of the 9 would light up if they were in focus. That is also pretty cool. The largest number 20+ did the same but I found it a bit sluggish. I think it is trying to evaluate so much. But once it shows an indication it might be 11 or 15 spots that light up.
07-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweets Quote
... and it's gonne be named: K-2
No, not the K2. I know the K2 from 1976, my first SLR with the old school split prism focus system. I never took a shot that wasn't in perfect focus through my 50mm and 200mm macros (there were always other things wrong, but focus was spot on). I loved that camera for my b&w darkroom work back in the day. It's why I have a K1 now. Unfortunately I've never had a shot in perfect focus with the K1 on AF. The AF never seems to know what I'm looking at even though it's right there in the middle of the screen. With practice I'm getting better. But give me the prism please, and I'll be glad to live in manual focus world again.