Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Recent threads mention AF Fine Adjustment and I am curious how to use it

I found it on the menu's and figured out the logistics of switching the modes around in the menu. I am talking about how someone earlier mentioned that they used -8 on one lens and -10 on another. Why would they do that? How did they decide that ? I would assume you do this on a tripod? Do you focus on stuff close? Very close? Far away? Does it help all lenses or just wides, normals or telephotos? Is it worth the effort?

Kind of looking for a Best Practices help on this. There may already be one out there so feel free to point me in the right direction. I searched a bit but did not see one.

06-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See here for all the background information and procedures:
Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

The bottom line is that if you don't observe any AF inconsistencies in practice, then either your camera/lenses combo doesn't need adjustment, or the real-life margin of error is within tolerable limits.

Appropriate adjustment values will vary for each camera and lens pairing. The same lens on two different cameras can well call for different adjustments.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
I found it on the menu's and figured out the logistics of switching the modes around in the menu. I am talking about how someone earlier mentioned that they used -8 on one lens and -10 on another. Why would they do that? How did they decide that ? I would assume you do this on a tripod? Do you focus on stuff close? Very close? Far away? Does it help all lenses or just wides, normals or telephotos? Is it worth the effort?

Kind of looking for a Best Practices help on this. There may already be one out there so feel free to point me in the right direction. I searched a bit but did not see one.
It's pretty easy. I have even used a ruler or a yardstick but they make tools for it.

Here is what I did. I went outside in the daylight. Put my camera on a tripod. In front of the camera I put the yardstick at a 45 degree angle. Just lean it on something or whatever. The main thing is the have good light.

Line up your camera to where it's focused on a specific number on the yardstick....I would always turn the focus ring to where it's out of focus then press the shutter button until focus locks and snap the picture.

Examination of that image will tell you if the camera is front or back focusing and you can use the in body adjustment to correct it. You can either do it for one lens, each lens, or all lenses...you can either push the auto focus forward or backward slightly as needed. If it's too much out of whack you have to get your lens calibrated.