Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #1

K-1 & Pixel Shift in the studio

Have just ordered a K-1, partly for work and partly for me but it 's going to need to earn it's keep!

The work we have in mind is photographing original artwork. As we own a small gallery which provides a fine art printing and mounting service already, this is an obvious next step for us to take.

The size of the work can be varied but think original pastels / watercolours / textile work at sizes upto A2 or higher. It is important here to maintain colour accuracy (have invested in the kit for this already) and I would like to do this at the highest possible quality that I can.

We already have the following as I've been putting everything together when I was originally planning to start doing this with my K-3 :-

Spyder Checkr
Spyder 5 Studio
Pentax D-FA 50mm Macro
Pentax 100mmWR Macro
Pentax M Bellows
2x Metz 58 flashguns
Light stands / soft boxes for flashguns.

What has thrown the spanner in the works is the reports that I have read about the performance of the pixel shift on the K-1. Short of buying a high end medium format setup, apparently this is the very best option I can buy (see this link as an idea), so it has changed my original plans.

Flash lighting basically is out for pixel shift shooting so I'm going to need to invest in continuous lighting, probably banks of LEDs but I have no experience at all in this area. As we need to ensure an even distribution of light for possibly quite large artwork, I'm going to need some advice! Has anyone been down this route yet or can point me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Unlocker; 06-30-2016 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Broken link.
06-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would it be possible to find a forum member locally who has a K1 any may be willing to bring it over to make a few test images? In lieu of that can you rent one?

If you want to use flash, then a 645z would be an excellent choice at a price far below what the competition has to offer.
06-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pixel Shift with flash is possible.

Method #1
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/319268-pixel-shift-...ml#post3664595

Method #2
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/319268-pixel-shift-...ml#post3673811
06-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Would it be possible to find a forum member locally who has a K1 any may be willing to bring it over to make a few test images? In lieu of that can you rent one?

If you want to use flash, then a 645z would be an excellent choice at a price far below what the competition has to offer.
Hi

As mentioned, I have just ordered the K-1 and it will be with me tomorrow, the 645Z would cost over 4x as much and there just isn't the budget for it unfortunately.

---------- Post added 06-30-2016 at 02:00 PM ----------

Thanks for this, must admit that I missed those as I was looking in the K-1 forum not the full frame one. It definately seems like 'a possible work around' but I'd like a more reliable and consistent method.

As mentioned in the 2nd post :-

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

To me, its basically case closed to Pixel shift not being able to do strobed studio type shots.
What I'm looking for is what type of lights I would need for continuous lighting with colour consistency (LED seems like the way to go), what kind of power I'd need for the work I'm trying to do and how to set it up for even light distribution.

07-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't worry about no flash. In my experience, continuous lighting is in the end much better option to ensure even lighting across the frame. It is also cheap! All I had to be careful was to use lightbulbs evenly so that their color temperature would stay the same through their life. Just keep in mind not to overheat the artwork!