Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Unregistered User

If the Pentax DFA*70-200 is anything like the DFA150-450 in focus speed it will outshine the Tamron. I really would like to try it out.

1549 brittish pounds right now...

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Lens - Pentax K Mount Lenses - Pentax Lenses - Lenses

07-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
What sort of deal? Please tell!
A dealer in Perth was offerring the D FA*70-200 for AU$2198 on-line. I think they had just one copy. After my purchase, it immediately went up to $2919! The best current price I'm aware of is $2699 at Camera Warehouse.

As I said, I wasn't planning that purchase, but I'm sure I got a great deal that probably won't be bettered for years. Even viewed as an investment, it was a good deal. And I get to play with a really fun lens, and enjoy a good workout at the same time carrying it.
07-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
Unregistered User

And I thought buying the FA77 would save me from LBA. How stupid was I...
07-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

yesterday I added up now much (at todays retail prices in Australia) it would cost to replce all my Pentax stuff........ very scary and probally has made me think enough is enough!

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I Even though 200mm is a bit short for Australian football, I got much sharper images at 200 and cropping than with the 55-300 @300 without cropping.
Sounds like you need a DFA 150-450 as well....

07-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
I am actually on the verge of selling my K-1 and sticking to my good old K-5 and some good Pentax glass in light of my needs for more action and sports photography. With the money from the K-1 I could get a reasonable "action" house from one of the other brands and then look for a good deal on a 70-200 for that other brand, once the funds are there. One solution could be the Nikon D500 even though it's quite expensive for an APS-C sized sensor.

I'm mainly in doubt of whether to keep the K-1 because of the comparatively slow focus speeds and the smallish buffer / slow SD card write speed. There are so many things to love about the camera apart from those shortcomings. But if I have to buy yet another camera and proper lens for sports besides that, it'll be a long time before I'll have the funds for such an action setup.

Decisions.......
I was actually thinking that the K-1 probably isn't the best option for action & sports. If you're already invested in Pentex, the K3II might be a better bet (and quite an upgrade from the K5).

Or, if you aren't heavily invested, the D500 is another option (as you suggested). Much as I hate encouraging people to leave Pentax, it just isn't the best when it comes to fast-moving action.
07-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #21
Forum Member

This is a little off topic for this thread, but riffing off some of the posts in it, sometimes I feel lucky to have started in photography when manual focus and manual exposure were the norm, sensors stuck well below ISO 1000 for the most part, and burst rates maxed out at 6 fps with the most exotic equipment while image storage devices typically came in a large capacity size of 36. And photographers made do, even without the ability to chimp. It makes the capabilities of today's equipment, including Pentax speeds, seem magical, lol. It's a great time to be a photographer, with lots of different (and excellent) ways to spend your money. [/geezer]

Last edited by dakotapix; 07-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.
07-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron was rated very high for IQ against the best Canon and Nikon 70-200s, equal essentially, where it didn't stack up would be build quality. The Tamron gets you into the game, but, at some point may have mechanical issues. For a part time hobby shooter, the Tamron offers the same IQ at a fraction the price. For a long term high volume shooter, my guess is the superior build quality of the Pentax lens will make it the better long term gamble. Especially for guys like me who schlep our equipment over hill and dale. But if I really thought of trying out 70-200, I'd start with the Tamron, and prove to myself I'm going to use it. Between my DA*60-250 and DA*200, I'm guessing no 70-200 is going to get out much. Especially not if it's heavy.

Last edited by normhead; 07-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
07-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
be aware that the Pentax weighs almost TWICE as much as the Tamron at 1.75kg Vs 1.15kg. That's one heavy Bugger of a lens
That may be a wee bit of an exaggeration. (1.75-1.15)/1.15=.52 About 50%, or half again heavier. Almost twice
would be another .5kg heavier.

Both big, heavy, bulky zooms, but it does beg the question of where all that extra weight comes from. High density O-rings?
More likely a better, stouter build to the internals. At least one would hope for the price difference.
07-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
but it does beg the question of where all that extra weight comes from. High density O-rings?
More likely a better, stouter build to the internals.
With the newer Pentax made DFA's (150-450, 70-200), one would think that Pentax would give us some words as to why the weight is there. Something to make us feel good.....
07-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sounds like you need a DFA 150-450 as well....
Not at current prices! But yes, my son and I would both get lots of wildlife use out of the 150-450. I'm hoping the price comes waaaay down.
07-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The D FA* 70-200mm is one of the sharpest, if not the sharpest zoom lens Pentax has ever made if you consider the entire image. It focuses quickly and quietly, though still slower than competing DSLRs systems. That said, I wouldn't say it's worth $1800 more than the Tamron. You can really fill up your prime kit nicely with all that money!
I was recently out at an event, I was the only one with a Pentax among more than 50 photographers , a lot of them comfortable with one or two Canon or Nikon full frame bodies and two OEM zoom lenses, some of them even shooting with 1Dx or D5, definitely nothing cheap compared to Pentax. The DFA70-200 is priced like Nikon/Canon 70-200 f2.8. What strikes me is what's left of Pentax user base: a lot of photographers having the budget went Canon/Nikon , so if what's left of the Pentax user base is low budget customers ( APSC budget), then it's not really a surprise that Pentaxians find full frame body and lenses expensive.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-03-2016 at 01:16 AM.
07-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I was recently out at an event, I was the only one with a Pentax among more than 50 photographers , a lot of them comfortable with one or two Canon or Nikon full frame bodies and two OEM zoom lenses, some of them even shooting with 1Dx or D5, definitely nothing cheap compared to Pentax. The DFA70-200 is priced like Nikon/Canon 70-200 f2.8. What strikes me is what's left of Pentax user base: a lot of photographers having the budget went Canon/Nikon , so if what's left of the Pentax user base is low budget customers ( APSC budget), then it's not really a surprise that Pentaxians find full frame body and lenses expensive.
I guess my problem with the price of fullframe Pentax lenses being the same as Canikon offerings is fear of the performance not being up to par with the others. I mean the lenses themselves seem to be doing fantastic compared to other brands. But the limited buffer of the K-1 in combination with focus limitations and video functionality that's just not up to today's standard makes me wonder if it is the right choice for me.

It's so easy to get caught up in the LBA & CBA.... I mean I started out with the K-x and a couple of old manual focus lenses and it was wonderful. But then gradually you persuade yourself to buy more and more cameras and lenses. And all of a sudden the next camera upgrade costs 1700 bucks and a better lens costs 2700... For that kind of money you can get some very decent gear from any old photography brand. Or a decent vacation with the kids...

Phew... Hard decisions....
07-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of buying a new camera and lens you can just buy the FF, which turns every lens you own into two lenses, with two different fields of view.

If you have the 31 for your APS-c camera, now just use it as your 21mm equivalent by putting it on the K-1. Don't buy a 21 and put the money you've towards a K-1. Your APS-c DA* 200 on a K-1 is your 135mm lens. Carefully planning can pay for your K-1 if you are relatively new to the game.

To me a K-1 enables you to have really good quality glass at every field of View, for half the price, in terms of glass.

Last edited by normhead; 07-03-2016 at 08:21 AM.
07-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The DFA70-200 is priced like Nikon/Canon 70-200 f2.8. What strikes me is what's left of Pentax user base: a lot of photographers having the budget went Canon/Nikon , so if what's left of the Pentax user base is low budget customers ( APSC budget), then it's not really a surprise that Pentaxians find full frame body and lenses expensive.
With reference to normhead's excellent rant from a few days ago, when faced with a choice between Pentax and a third party, I'll usually choose Pentax whenever possible. I've shot Pentax all my life, and the system is familiar and feels comfortable to me, and innovations keep coming. If Ricoh ever takes things in a direction I don't want to follow, I'll have to make some decisions, but for the time being, I try to do whatever small part I can to keep Pentax alive (in business) so it'll be there in the future for me. I see a an FA* 70-200 in that future when the time is right.
07-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakotapix Quote
With reference to normhead's excellent rant from a few days ago,
It was an excellent rant...... and helps to highlight why some people's posts can be quite irritating.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-03-2016 at 05:50 PM.