Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 03:34 AM   #1516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Nice, I like the colours and tones!
Although I always wonder when I look at this thread, do you think pixel-shift or not would make any kind of difference to the output at this size? (that's a real question, I am never using PS myself)
What I think is that pixel shift allows me to process single images without getting a bunch of noise out the shadows when I'm working with it. I used to do some HDR and I just don't have to do that with pixel shift.

At web size, you are probably right that there is minimal difference, but when I've printed decent sizes, there is more detail in the pixel shift images. This thread started as examples of how pixel shift could be used and working through the tendency to artifacts you would see in some landscapes. I use pixel shift a lot when shooting landscapes, although I don't post all of the results here, I have posted many here.

11-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #1517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have posted many here.
You have indeed, which is why I thought asking you specifically what you find in this technique.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I should try it for myself sometimes, but I must admit that the tripod usually stays home when I take the camera to places I think worth photographing. That's on me
11-24-2021, 03:54 AM   #1518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You have indeed, which is why I thought asking you specifically what you find in this technique.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I should try it for myself sometimes, but I must admit that the tripod usually stays home when I take the camera to places I think worth photographing. That's on me
I think if there is much movement in a scene (wind is blowing) or if the dynamic range isn't very high, the benefit probably isn't worth it. I usually do shoot with a tripod when I'm shooting landscapes and so that aspect of it doesn't bother me. I typically look at the motion mask in Raw Therapee and if more than 50 percent has motion then I don't bother processing the image as a pixel shift.
11-24-2021, 02:12 PM - 6 Likes   #1519
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
good frame, reflection
Thanks. Here's another one, essentially zoomed in, the FA 80-320:

---------- Post added 11-24-21 at 01:20 PM ----------

Although I always wonder when I look at this thread, do you think pixel-shift or not would make any kind of difference to the output at this size?
I tend to use PS with telephoto lenses, often using APS-C cameras, and I am able to get more fine detail (assuming the lens is sharp enough). Whether that makes much of a difference in a large print is hard to tell. Of course, you also get a stop more of DR to work with, so there's that as well --- although I haven't made use of that feature all that often. Admittedly, I haven't done much PS this year: just three times all year, because of wind issues and a tendency derived from shooting in the cold of not using a tripod (I'm finding the 5-axis stabilization in the KP and the K-1 quite dependable).

11-25-2021, 12:34 AM   #1520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Here's another one
Beautiful composition and colors! I personally like this one better. Thanks for sharing!
11-26-2021, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #1521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frosty Track at Dawn (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

11-28-2021, 06:20 AM - 6 Likes   #1522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Staunton River (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

12-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #1523
Pentaxian

Man, I need to work with this function more. These images are nice.
12-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #1524
Pentaxian

Beautiful light and composition, once again!
12-06-2021, 04:59 AM   #1525
Pentaxian

Staunton River
nice view
12-06-2021, 05:16 AM   #1526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your excellent images show how truly versatile PS is. Even with roughly 60 percent of the image comprised of moving water, there are no artifacts (at least that I can see). This capability I think remains one of the key, and most underrated, advantages of the K-1. Unlike early reviews using SilkyPix, where the slightest bit of moving water or motion created artifacts, the K-1 and RawTherapee allow you to get probably the equivalent of 60 MP resolution images, in a wide range of scenes. Very impressive.
12-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #1527
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregL564 Quote
Your excellent images show how truly versatile PS is. Even with roughly 60 percent of the image comprised of moving water, there are no artifacts (at least that I can see). This capability I think remains one of the key, and most underrated, advantages of the K-1. Unlike early reviews using SilkyPix, where the slightest bit of moving water or motion created artifacts, the K-1 and RawTherapee allow you to get probably the equivalent of 60 MP resolution images, in a wide range of scenes. Very impressive.
Yes, people still have this misconception that you need 100% static scenes. As long as there are important parts of the image that show improvements in detail or noise it can be worth it. If the outmost leaves ofa branch or a cyclist passing by only get one out of 4 frames it doesn't matter as long as it isn't the main subject.
12-06-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #1528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In addition to the beauty of your photos, I appreciate the opportunity you offer us of enjoying the lovely countryside where you live.
12-12-2021, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1529
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunrise (DFA 15-30mm/pixel shift)

12-13-2021, 07:25 AM - 8 Likes   #1530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Staunton River at Dawn (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

Staunton River at Dawn (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)