Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2018, 03:37 AM   #736

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The whole thing is that dynamic pixel shift lets you shoot pixel shift hand held. All great, but the thing is that I don't know of any raw developer (including Pentax's own DCU) that will develop more than the first raw image in the DNG files. If your options are to (a) develop the first image shot or (b) shoot a jpeg then I would rather just shoot a single RAW image then shoot a dynamic pixel shift image that can't truly be developed. I shoot regular pixel shift all of the time and as you say, develop it with Raw Therapee into a 16 bit TIFF image.
In RT you have access to all 4 frames of dynamic pixel shift files. You can even combine them, but the combination is wrong because the shift is not constant.

06-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #737
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
In RT you have access to all 4 frames of dynamic pixel shift files. You can even combine them, but the combination is wrong because the shift is not constant.
Right, so it's a matter of waiting until you and/or Ricoh get out a version which can replicate or improve on the in-body combining algorithm. In the mean time, those with a K-1 II are stuck shooting RAW+ and keeping the DNGs until the PP software catches up! Although it would be possible to re-develop the RAW in-camera, it would be a pretty clunky workflow.

Actually, thinking about it, is this much different from stacking software with auto-alignment capability? I guess there could be a bit of alignment hint information derived from the accelerometer in the RAW file, which one wouldn't normally get. Presumably Ricoh aren't telling anyone anything about it if there is...

Cheers

Jonathan
06-24-2018, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
House at the End of the Rainbow (DFA 15-30)

Hibiscus Detail (DFA 100 macro)

Both are pixel shifts shot with the K-1 II.
06-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

House at the End of the Rainbow (DFA 15-30)

Hibiscus Detail (DFA 100 macro)

Both are pixel shifts shot with the K-1 II.
Ooh - I can't wait to get my K-1 back from Upgrade Service !

06-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole thing is that dynamic pixel shift lets you shoot pixel shift hand held. All great, but the thing is that I don't know of any raw developer (including Pentax's own DCU) that will develop more than the first raw image in the DNG files. If your options are to (a) develop the first image shot or (b) shoot a jpeg then I would rather just shoot a single RAW image then shoot a dynamic pixel shift image that can't truly be developed. I shoot regular pixel shift all of the time and as you say, develop it with Raw Therapee into a 16 bit TIFF image.
Yeah, I can't quite figure out dynamic pixel shift. I swear I got some better results, but can't verify that—might just be that the first frame I'm seeing in the DNG from DPS was better than the control non-PS due to camera shake, stray cosmic ray, etc. I do seem to get better results if I do a DPS, then convert that to a JPG IN camera. There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in DCU.

Seems if you want RAW then just do a four-shot bracket and use normal post processing to stack them for better resolution.
06-26-2018, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mushroom (DFA 100/pixel shift/K-1)

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Yeah, I can't quite figure out dynamic pixel shift. I swear I got some better results, but can't verify that—might just be that the first frame I'm seeing in the DNG from DPS was better than the control non-PS due to camera shake, stray cosmic ray, etc. I do seem to get better results if I do a DPS, then convert that to a JPG IN camera. There doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in DCU.

Seems if you want RAW then just do a four-shot bracket and use normal post processing to stack them for better resolution.
My guess is that the best thing is to convert to TIFF in camera and then process that file in Lightroom. Otherwise not much point.
06-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #742
Veteran Member

Hi Vincent,
nice shot but is your camera a K-1 or a K-1 MKII?

06-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hi Vincent,
nice shot but is your camera a K-1 or a K-1 MKII?
I own both -- you are right that this was taken with the Mark II.
06-27-2018, 03:07 AM   #744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looking forward to having pixel shift in the future, images hare are great, sharp as...
06-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mushroom (DFA 100/pixel shift/K-1)

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 08:35 AM ----------

My guess is that the best thing is to convert to TIFF in camera and then process that file in Lightroom. Otherwise not much point.
Looking so much forward to having my K1 back from the upgrade service ;-)
06-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple with DFA 15-30 and K-1 II (both pixel shifted)

Tree and Cattle.

Cattle

06-29-2018, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photos everyone...but the discussion of post processing the dynamic PS has me wondering more generally. When I look at the regular PS raw files from my K-1(non motion corrected) in a file explorer, I see a single very large file, 150MB or so.
If I import that file into Lightroom, is it opening the single large combined file, or the first of the 4 separate files?
06-29-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Nice photos everyone...but the discussion of post processing the dynamic PS has me wondering more generally. When I look at the regular PS raw files from my K-1(non motion corrected) in a file explorer, I see a single very large file, 150MB or so.
If I import that file into Lightroom, is it opening the single large combined file, or the first of the 4 separate files?
Normal pixel shift raw files have four raw images in them that are just shifted slightly from each other (hence the name). Lightroom is able to combine these images in a "dumb" way. So, if you open the RAW, it will show the combined image. The issue is that if there is any movement you will see weird artifacts any where where that occurred. Those situations are where you are best using DCU or Raw Therapee to correct for motion. With dynamic pixel shift, Lightroom just opens the first image in the RAW file.

Hope that helps.
06-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normal pixel shift raw files have four raw images in them that are just shifted slightly from each other (hence the name). Lightroom is able to combine these images in a "dumb" way. So, if you open the RAW, it will show the combined image. The issue is that if there is any movement you will see weird artifacts any where where that occurred. Those situations are where you are best using DCU or Raw Therapee to correct for motion. With dynamic pixel shift, Lightroom just opens the first image in the RAW file.

Hope that helps.
Yes, thanks. That's what I thought, then I started second guessing myself based on some of these processing conversations.
In some of the PS shots I've taken, even if the scene is almost 100% static, I can zoom way in and see distortion where individual leaves may have moved slightly in a light breeze. Maybe I'll take a crack at those in RT.
06-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #750
Pentaxian

...Lightroom is able to combine these images in a "dumb" way. So, if you open the RAW, it will show the combined image....
This is helpful, as I've become more curious about PS lately too. Would you (all) recommend doing initial processing in RT or DCU, then importing a TIF to LR for finishing? I'm trying to imagine a standard workflow for PS files for when my KI-II comes back.