Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Exposure section of the IR K-1 review is out for the K-1.

I just lined up the K-1, D810, and Canon 6D for some pixel peeping.

Some interesting things, IR rates the K-1 a little lower for resolution on the chart, but lining up the high ISO test The K-1 just kicks the poop out of the competition, appearing to be a stop better than the D810 and of course, I threw in the 6D because of it's low light reputation, and it also get's it's but kicked.

Pentax K-1 Review: Now Shooting! - Exposure
Nikon D810 Review - Exposure
Canon 6D Review - Exposure

The sony A7s maintains better colour at high ISO but the K-1 maintains far more detail. I'm guessing the K-1 can be brightened up in post.
Sony A7S II Review - Exposure

The D810 is measured at a bit higher lw/ph I'm guessing because of the availability of 32 and 64 ISO, although I really can't see much difference between the D810 and K-1. One brief check of the K-1 and A7rII at 3200 ISO has me thinking the K-1 is probably better than the A7rII for low light noise.

Altogether, impressive results.

I went to compare the D810 with the K-1 both at base ISO's and unbelievably, the cards at the bottom right clearly shows that they missed focus in the K-1 image.Apart for that corner, the K-1 image makes it pretty clear, A7II or D810 doesn't really matter. You can buy a K-1 knowing you're getting the best, both in terms of the clarity of the image and the high ISO performance. Though from 800-6400 ISO it appeared to my eye the K-1 had about a 1 stop advantage over the D810 in the still life image, and maybe a half stop on the Sony A7rII.

07-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I'm seeing more like a half stop difference but I guess its all a bit subjective.
Also the images for the 810 looks generally a little sharper for lower ISOs to me (matching ISOs). Could be down to default camera settings though.

The K-1 looks a great camera. Can't wait until I save enough for it!
07-03-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked at the 12,800 images for the D810 and K-1 and definitely thought that K-1 image looked better. Not any two stops better, but just a little less noise and more detail. At low isos, it was pretty much awash.

My guess is the only place where the D810 really beats the K-1 is in base iso, where having a significantly lower base iso probably does help with dynamic range (although the K-1 does awfully well there).
07-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess is the only place where the D810 really beats the K-1 is in base iso
Did I not read somewhere that the Pentax 100 ISO is actually a little "porky" and in truth it was really 50 ISO in disguise.

07-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Did I not read somewhere that the Pentax 100 ISO is actually a little "porky" and in truth it was really 50 ISO in disguise.
Tony Northup said that and he doesn't seem the most knowledgable on the subject...
07-03-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Tony Northup said that and he doesn't seem the most knowledgable on the subject...
I'm not familiar with him, so it must been somewhere else I saw it, perhaps one of the techie folk who are about the forum can provide a little further insight on this.
07-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think we have reached the point where the differences are in the margins and mostly irrelevant.

07-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think we have reached the point where the differences are in the margins and mostly irrelevant.
For sure, if anyone gave me any of these cameras with a stable of a appropriate lenses, I wouldn't turn it down saying "No it's _______ or nothing. To my mind, no on win their right mind would go through the effort of changing systems for the difference I see here.

If only they would have done a Pixel Shift series. I'm still undecided on whether or not I should be buying a camera with pixel shift, I was hoping there would be a comparison series show the PS.
07-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I read that the D810 64 ISO is actually closer to 180.

Steve

(...would really love to have several of these cameras together and compare gray-card histograms for the same EV at stated ISOs...)
07-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To my mind, no on win their right mind would go through the effort of changing systems for the difference I see here.
So essentially K-1 is 'as good as' . . . .

The differences are indistinguishable. Which ought to close all arguments, reducing to one of mere preference the choice of which body.*

* of course the argument will now shift to availability of lenses, accessories and support. Excepting pros, the only support necessary is warranty work. Convince me Precision does better work for Nikon than for Pentax and I'll consider Nikon. I know I'll never buy those 'available' lenses or accessories. That argument is a non-starter.

So Ricoh's market is Pentax upgraders and the rare consumer who starts with FF and a zoom or three.