Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Sigma 50mm F/1.4 EX DG HSM on K1?

I'll be upgrading from K30 to K1 in a few months. Anybody tried this lens on the K1? It supposedly should work as it's FF and K mount but...y'know...
Oh...and while we are at it...I'll use my Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 and 10-20 F/3.5 in crop mode untill I switch to all native FF lenses...any issues I may have?

Thanx

L.G.

07-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I'll be upgrading from K30 to K1 in a few months. Anybody tried this lens on the K1? It supposedly should work as it's FF and K mount but...y'know...
Oh...and while we are at it...I'll use my Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 and 10-20 F/3.5 in crop mode untill I switch to all native FF lenses...any issues I may have?

Thanx

L.G.
I wouldn't use the 17-50mm, just go for the D FA 28-105mm as a starter. The 10-20mm should be fine toward the long end of the zoom range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanx

L.G.
Its a very good 50mm prime. The bokeh is very smooth with the only downside being a little LCA. I have used it for 6 or 7 years now on the K-7, K-5, K-3 and now the K-1. I like it better than the FA 50mm and the DA*55mm, but its not as good as the Sony/Zeiss 55mm or the Fuji 56mm, but those are both $800+ lenses and the Sigma can be bought for $300. As Adam says, the 28-105mm is an excellent all-around lens if you don't need the speed.
07-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sigma 50/1.4 DG is a very nice lens. Used on my K5 IIs, I could focus with AF on sites where I could not distinguished details with my eyes. So dark it was. And I think that it can do miracles on K-1. Not to mention the bokeh. The down side was that focusing wasn't always on spot. But i never shot only once on a subject, just because I know that every lens, once in a wile, can mis the focus on AF.

07-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The Sigma 50/1.4 is a great lens. Just remember it's on the list of lenses that may scratch a K-1 body and needs to be modified by Sigma to be on the safe side.
07-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't use the 17-50mm, just go for the D FA 28-105mm as a starter. The 10-20mm should be fine toward the long end of the zoom range.
Thanx; care to explain why? Personal preference or technical issues?

Thanx for all your other relpys. Being that it's on the "to be modified list" means it's compatible and works OK.
It will need to be sent in as well as the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 HSM...hopefully the Sigma policy will last untill I get the K1.

Best
07-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanx for all your other relpys. Being that it's on the "to be modified list" means it's compatible and works OK.
It will need to be sent in as well as the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 HSM...hopefully the Sigma policy will last untill I get the K1.

Best
The mark it makes on the body is about 3mm long and as thick as a human hair (at least on mine). Pretty much irrelevant. I literally have to hold it to the light just right to see the contact mark. My metal clasp on my Black Rapid strap has already put a bigger scratch on the body. The Cybersync and Pocket wizards leave bigger marks on the hotshoe.

No reason to by a camera that is built like a tank if you are going to worry about hairline scratches.

07-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Best
You'll get better results with the FF lens since it uses the entire frame, plus you'll be able to use the entire viewfinder

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

Best

First off you don't want to shoot in crop mode on the K-1. You will go from 36mp to 15mp :-O

In my experience, a lens made for a crop sensor that works on full frame (without crop mode) will be very soft around the edge of the frame.
07-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AwesomeIan Quote
First off you don't want to shoot in crop mode on the K-1. You will go from 36mp to 15mp :-O

In my experience, a lens made for a crop sensor that works on full frame (without crop mode) will be very soft around the edge of the frame.
I know, that would be just as long as I get a FF 24/70 to replace it. Too bad because I love that lens, very sharp workhorse.
11-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

No Workee Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on K-1

I can report that the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (at least the one I had) does not work on the K-1. In fact it just locked the camera up. I could take a picture in manual focus mode but adjusting aperture froze it again. I sent an email to Sigma about getting a firmware fix and they never replied. Too bad cause I think its the best 50mm option for the K-1 at the moment.
11-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bk-photo Quote
I can report that the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (at least the one I had) does not work on the K-1. In fact it just locked the camera up. I could take a picture in manual focus mode but adjusting aperture froze it again.

I had my copy on the K-1 last weekend. Worked perfectly. I bought it April last year, but I have no idea how to check lens firmware version. I had it converted by Sigma with the "K-1 fit" this summer, but I don't think they upgraded the firmware.
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bk-photo Quote
I can report that the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (at least the one I had) does not work on the K-1. In fact it just locked the camera up. I could take a picture in manual focus mode but adjusting aperture froze it again. I sent an email to Sigma about getting a firmware fix and they never replied. Too bad cause I think its the best 50mm option for the K-1 at the moment.
Too bad....that was on my list for the 50mm prime...
11-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Too bad....that was on my list for the 50mm prime...
It is hard to tell in advance whether the lens will work or not. Not all of the Sigma lenses initially identified as problematic with the K-1 may cause problems for users, due to slight differences in the firmware on various lenses, and even minute differences in their physical dimensions.

Either way, Sigma has been very good at addressing all of the problems with the offending lenses, so my advice would be that the lens will probably work fine, but that if it doesn't, Sigma will update the firmware and fix the lens mount for free, so no big drama.
11-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I had my copy on the K-1 last weekend. Worked perfectly. I bought it April last year, but I have no idea how to check lens firmware version. I had it converted by Sigma with the "K-1 fit" this summer, but I don't think they upgraded the firmware.
Checking firmware version is not possible without proper servicing equipment but "lens id" value from your exif file could give you a hint that firmware is updated.
It is a usual procedure at Sigma to update firmware when lens is in service for some reason, so your firmware is probably updated.
You can check that by comparing "lens id" value from a photo taken with that lens before and after servicing activities.
Also you and @bk-photo probably have different lens ids.

Btw that scratch recall is nothing but the silent way to replace firmware on non-working lens, actually a non-existent problem which is a mask for solving real problem which Sigma does not admit that it exists.

Last edited by banep; 11-03-2016 at 08:25 AM.