Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Bricked in LV

Has anybody else had their K-1 lock up going into Live View, never to return? I was testing my new replacement copy of the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, pressed LV to grab 16X focus, and the screen went dark. Turning off the camera did nothing, with the screen very dim like a TV with no signal and the top screen staying on. Removing and reinstalling the OEM battery with full charge got me back to the normal screen after a double mirror flap, but no AF (on AF lenses), shutter or LV. (Switching to LV completes the cycle.) Reinstalling FW 1.10 and changing to another full OEM battery had no effect.

This failure brings me to 60% on bodies, pretty shabby. Fortunately this happened a day before travel to Kauai, so I can fall back on the (warranty-repaired) K-3 II with no UWA.

07-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saxt001 Quote
Has anybody else had their K-1 lock up going into Live View, never to return? I was testing my new replacement copy of the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, pressed LV to grab 16X focus, and the screen went dark. Turning off the camera did nothing, with the screen very dim like a TV with no signal and the top screen staying on. Removing and reinstalling the OEM battery with full charge got me back to the normal screen after a double mirror flap, but no AF (on AF lenses), shutter or LV. (Switching to LV completes the cycle.) Reinstalling FW 1.10 and changing to another full OEM battery had no effect.

This failure brings me to 60% on bodies, pretty shabby. Fortunately this happened a day before travel to Kauai, so I can fall back on the (warranty-repaired) K-3 II with no UWA.
Was everything OK after you switched back to LV?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, Adam, it goes to square 0. The LV screen goes dark, the top LCD stays lit, and it won't power off. Funny business.
07-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried a different lens to eliminate that?

07-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Have you tried a different lens to eliminate that?
Yes, tried the FA77 and DA* 60-250. I can switch crop, ISO& aperture settings but neither shutter nor AF are happening.

FWIW the Rok 14mm works fine on the K-3 II and is not decentered like the used copy I bought from and returned to B&H.

Last edited by PentAxt; 07-05-2016 at 10:09 PM.
07-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had issues with LV on the K-1 and it's hard to describe but it appears to be an issue with the mirror, though mine never got as bad as you describe.

When it happens to me I see what looks like a black bracket and I can see through some sections of the bracket to the view through the lens. The first time it occurred to me was in low light so it looked like the screen was on but there was no image.

I could get the camera back to normal by pressing LV again though when I do this there are times where there is an audible difference in the mirror actuation. The issue is most prevalent when I go to use LV whilst in mirror lock up. The odd mirror noise occurs other times when not using LV and mirror lock up so my issue might be completely different.

If you have the camera still turn it on and press LV, if the blacked out LV screen appears take the lens off and see if the mirror is still down. This is what happened in one instance for me (and I need to check this again the next time it happens).

I still need to send my camera back for a check up however as it still works correctly 98% of the time I've put that off for now. When I do I will provide an update on the forum and ask that you do the same if you have any updates.

So far this is the only Pentax DSLR out of four that I've had issues with so whilst this is a pain in the bum I think it's just my turn for the Monday camera.

Tas
07-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K1 seems to have a larger number of annoying glitches and/or more problems with QC than other Pentax bodies introduced over the past decade. Very disappointing and and discouraging considering the long delay we awaited the camera's release. Were they trying to detect and correct a myriad of other similar problems? Will all of these issues be resolved with updated firmware? Who knows? (only the phantom Ricoh technicians)

07-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I have had issues with LV on the K-1 and it's hard to describe but it appears to be an issue with the mirror, though mine never got as bad as you describe.

When it happens to me I see what looks like a black bracket and I can see through some sections of the bracket to the view through the lens. The first time it occurred to me was in low light so it looked like the screen was on but there was no image.

I could get the camera back to normal by pressing LV again though when I do this there are times where there is an audible difference in the mirror actuation. The issue is most prevalent when I go to use LV whilst in mirror lock up. The odd mirror noise occurs other times when not using LV and mirror lock up so my issue might be completely different.

If you have the camera still turn it on and press LV, if the blacked out LV screen appears take the lens off and see if the mirror is still down. This is what happened in one instance for me (and I need to check this again the next time it happens).

I still need to send my camera back for a check up however as it still works correctly 98% of the time I've put that off for now. When I do I will provide an update on the forum and ask that you do the same if you have any updates.

So far this is the only Pentax DSLR out of four that I've had issues with so whilst this is a pain in the bum I think it's just my turn for the Monday camera.

Tas
Agreed, I'm feeling the pain of the 1st generation camera. The mirror is up when the LV and camera are frozen. It went back to normal and then quickly got hung up again with a press of LV when I checked this morning. Back in the box she goes.
07-06-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #9

You have experienced a juvenile failure; you have a defective camera. Return under warranty.
07-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
You have experienced a juvenile failure; you have a defective camera. Return under warranty.
Forgone before initial post. I'm interested in this failure mode among our compatriots.
07-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: 7 business day turnaround from Precision for "flex circuit and CPU repair." Nothing major, just a bad CPU.��

Last edited by PentAxt; 07-22-2016 at 09:38 PM.
07-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update: 7 business day turnaround from Precision for "flex circuit and CPU repair." Nothing major, just a bad CPU.
At least they could find the problem.
Nothing major? circuit and CPU repair seems like a big deal to me !

Did you already get your K-1 back ?
07-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

"flex circuit and CPU repair."
I wonder how/what/if there was something specific about the Rokinon 14mm's mount connection that triggered that. Flex circuits and CPU's normally don't die unless there is some electrical disturbance.
07-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I wonder how/what/if there was something specific about the Rokinon 14mm's mount connection that triggered that...
I would be very surprised since the normal connection through all of the Rokinon's active mount contacts is to complete the circuit to the body...fully passive. In the case of fault, the lens maximum aperture and aperture range is simply misread.

Steve
07-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would be very surprised since the normal connection through all of the Rokinon's active mount contacts is to complete the circuit to the body...fully passive. In the case of fault, the lens maximum aperture and aperture range is simply misread.

Steve
Overnight shipping got it right back to me, no issues with the quiver of lenses. I think the switch to LV with the Rokinon just happened to be the vibrating straw that broke the camel's back. I'm just glad it happened before and not during vacation.