Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

Shutter release cable for the K-1

Hey guys,

I am looking for a shutter release cable for my K-1. Any suggestions? I looked on amazon and got a couple hits but the connection didn't look right.

07-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The official Pentax one is the CS-205 but anything with a mini-stereo jack should work.

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 08:23 AM ----------

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywo...hutter+release
07-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The official Pentax one is the CS-205 but anything with a mini-stereo jack should work.

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 08:23 AM ----------

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywo...hutter+release

I am at work so I don't have my K-1 in front of me. So it uses the min stereo jack and not some sort of 9 pin cable? Can you confirm this one will work:
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B003Q9RERY/r...hutter+release
07-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That pretty much sums it up. There is a wide cross-compatibility with various Canon models and many look-alike generic cable remotes that will work. I use one with Bower branding that I have found to be very flexible.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve

07-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AwesomeIan Quote
I am at work so I don't have my K-1 in front of me. So it uses the min stereo jack and not some sort of 9 pin cable? Can you confirm this one will work: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Remote-Control/dp/B003Q9RERY/r...hutter+release
Looks correct to me. The cable is standard mini-stereo not a 9 pin.

One caution is to avoid the really cheap ones as the jack can sometimes be not quite to spec. I bought a cheapy as a toss in my bag extra and it never worked unless you held the plug against the camera. Threw it out and learned my lesson.
07-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am at work so I don't have my K-1 in front of me. So it uses the min stereo jack and not some sort of 9 pin cable?
Amazingly so, but true. The connector has three contacts: 1) ground, 2) shutter half-press, and 3) shutter full press.

Yes, that should work.

Steve
07-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have several made (or sold under the name) Vello that work very well and are less that half the price of the Pentax unit. One problem with some after-market units: The camera plug has an elbow-like right-angle bend. The neck that leads to the plug itself is too short on some units. If the release is positioned so the bend is pointing straight back it works fine, but if the bend and wire are pointing down, the part of the elbow from which wire emerges hits against the camera body below the socket, and this pulls out the plug slightly, enough to lose contact inside the camera body. As noted, units made by Vello are in my experience OK

07-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using this one for years: Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch 2469A002 B&H Photo Video it's half the price of the Pentax model and it works fine with my K-1.

I've since bought a more expensive and larger Vello unit ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840096-REG/Vello_rc_c1ii_Shutterboss_V..._II_Timer.html ) and the attachment point needed minor modification to allow it to sit correctly in the socket. So whilst this version is even cheaper than the one I use and should be fine: Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H you might just need to taper down the plastic shroud for it to fit properly like I had to.

Tas
07-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note: the Vello RS-C1 listed last by Tas is the model I use regularly on K20, K5, K3 and K1. I seem to be moving down in Pentax model numbers. Will the next be a K0.04?