Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

simplified mode change possible?

I usually work in M-mode with spot metering (for ettr) and SEL-AFS for mostly landscape, buildings etc. Sometimes i'd like to switch to a more automated mode, e. g. AV, multi-segment-exposure, auto-iso and auto-AFC. Any tips how to achieve this without having to change all these setting separately? (most of the time i get bad shots afterwards because i forget to change one )

User modes don't work on my K-1 as the latest exposure settings are not stored when turning the camera off and on again (see original thread)

I suppose that most pentax dslrs work similar, so i hope this question is appropriate in here.

07-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the Auto-mode on K1 works like the Green-mode on other Pentax DSLR, where all camera settings are reset to default value.
But then there may be very limited options available, maybe not even exposure can be adjusted.
07-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you play with your camera. Assuming the K-1 works the same as previous model Pentax cameras, user set values for aperture/shutter/ISO are generally conserved when moving between modes and across power cycles. The exception is any of the "User" modes where setting changes are maintained separately from that of the other modes and is not retained through a power cycle.

The same is true for most (all?) other settings unless specifically turned off in the record menu #5 "Memory" section.

Steve
07-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
user set values for aperture/shutter/ISO are generally conserved when moving between modes
Example, consider this sequence on my K-3*:
  • In M mode - f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 100
  • Change Av mode - f/5.6, ISO 100, shutter floats
  • Change to TAv mode - f/5.6, 1/125sw, ISO floats
  • Change aperture - f/8, 1/125s, ISO floats up one stop
  • Change back to M mode - f/8, 1/125s, ISO 100 (Note that all three reflect the last set values)
  • Change to P mode - aperture floats, shutter floats, ISO 100
  • Override shutter speed - aperture floats, 1/500s, ISO 100
  • Change back to M mode - f/8, 1/500s, ISO 100
Doing a power cycle (on/off) at any of the above points will conserve the last user set values regardless of the mode set when the camera restarts.

Steve

* Sorry, no K-1, though it is my understanding that the behavior is the same for both cameras.

07-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. I'm aware that aperture/shutter/iso are conserved across modes/power cycles in M/Av etc. and it's also what i like. My problem is i use mainly the following two settings:
1. M-mode, spot metering, SEL-AF-point, AF-S and
2. Av-mode, multi-segment-metering, auto-iso, auto-AF-point, AF-C

To switch from one of the above settings to another i have to
- chose mode
- change metering method
- set auto-iso
- set focussing area
- set AF

This is not really handy. So i thought about user modes 1 and 2, but then aperture/shutter/iso are not conserved over power cycles :/
Edit: I don't care if its conserved when changing modes, but i'd like it to be saved when changing lenses, the battery or just turning the camera off for a few secs.

Last edited by chochichaeschtli; 07-07-2016 at 12:01 PM.
07-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chochichaeschtli Quote
My problem is i use mainly the following two settings:
1. M-mode, spot metering, SEL-AF-point, AF-S and
2. Av-mode, multi-segment-metering, auto-iso, auto-AF-point, AF-C
I would suggest having the camera generally configured as with #1 and setting up a saved user mode for #2. The most you will have to change, moving back and forth, is the aperture setting for Av mode.

Steve
07-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Steve. Didn't consider using only one user mode but that seems to work quite well At least in my case as the user mode will be mainly auto-settings.

07-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chochichaeschtli Quote
I usually work in M-mode with spot metering (for ettr) and SEL-AFS for mostly landscape, buildings etc. Sometimes i'd like to switch to a more automated mode, e. g. AV, multi-segment-exposure, auto-iso and auto-AFC. Any tips how to achieve this without having to change all these setting separately? (most of the time i get bad shots afterwards because i forget to change one )

User modes don't work on my K-1 as the latest exposure settings are not stored when turning the camera off and on again (see original thread)

I suppose that most pentax dslrs work similar, so i hope this question is appropriate in here.
I would use a user mode and just bite the bullet and adjust the exposure settings as needed. You can always press the green button to get the camera to choose recommended settings, and you can change the program line if you want the camera to behave differently in that respect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: