Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Weird behavior when shooting in M mode with "bracket" drive shooting

Today I was doing some shooting in full-manual mode (M). I forgot that my camera was still in "exposure bracketing" drive mode from yesterday. I'm not sure what I would expect the behavior to be when in M mode and bracket mode at the same time but the K-1 behaved very oddly.

As you all probably know, normally in "bracket" drive the camera takes the first frame as normal and then takes one or more additional frames at different EV compensations by automatically varying the settings. But what does that even mean in M mode where the camera doesn't pick any values?

Apparently what it does is it changes the shutter speed and aperture a little bit, PREVENTS YOU FROM RETURNING TO YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS, and then DOESN'T take any additional photos. So it is up to you to press the shutter for each frame.

Anyway I was trying to shoot with an aperture of f/2.8, and the first frame was fine but then the camera (trying to do a -1 EV exposure I guess) moved the aperture to f/3.5 and wouldn't let me change it back to f/2.8. After a while it seemed to time out and return to the original f/2.8.

Anyway this was like 90% my fault for not noticing I was still in bracket drive mode but I can't imagine who would really want to be in M mode with the camera overriding your settings. I think the camera should've taken the first frame with my M settings and then done frames 2...N fully automatically, or just ignore the bracket drive and shoot in single frame mode. I looked in the manual for any information documenting the behavior of M + bracket and couldn't find anything, although it does say that B + bracket is not allowed.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that it took me half an hour to figure out what the heck was going on....

07-07-2016, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

In M Mode and bracketing YOU can either press the shutter 3 times or select 3 bracketed images to be taken with a single shutter release......its up to You.
Once started with your first image in bracketing , I'm not sure if the setting can be cancelled or if you have to follow through with the sequence.
07-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One-Push Bracketing is controlled by the C2-12 setting.
07-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
In M Mode and bracketing YOU can either press the shutter 3 times or select 3 bracketed images to be taken with a single shutter release......its up to You.
Once started with your first image in bracketing , I'm not sure if the setting can be cancelled or if you have to follow through with the sequence.
Yeah I guess what I really found confusing was that in M mode I could edit the settings between shots somewhat, but it prevented me from using certain settings. I.e. my first shot was f/2.8 but the second shot COUDLN'T be f/2.8.

07-08-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
Yeah I guess what I really found confusing was that in M mode I could edit the settings between shots somewhat, but it prevented me from using certain settings. I.e. my first shot was f/2.8 but the second shot COUDLN'T be f/2.8.
What is the fastest F stop on the lens You were using ?
07-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I feel a lot better that it only took me 29 minutes to figure out when mine did that😉

It's infuriating behavior because the camera clearly has a reason to lock out control but it wasn't obvious what that was.

It didn't help me that my first attempt to correct the problem was to try and change the bracketing behavior through the menu rather than to turn it off...

- Eric