Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That plastic top panel does seem to be this camera's achilles heel. I presume it's plastic to allow the GPS module to work but maybe on future models they can reinforce it.
I don't blame the camera for the breakage; that was clearly my fault. That being said my K-3 has taken a couple of pretty hard falls and came away relatively unscathed. Might just be pure chance but maybe it's a sign the K-1 isn't quite as tough as the K-3.
Think of it as a crumple zone (like on a car). It absorbed the majority of the hit and saved what's inside from more serious damage

Seriously though, glad you have it back all in one piece.

08-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #77
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That plastic top panel does seem to be this camera's achilles heel. I presume it's plastic to allow the GPS module to work but maybe on future models they can reinforce it.
I don't blame the camera for the breakage; that was clearly my fault. That being said my K-3 has taken a couple of pretty hard falls and came away relatively unscathed. Might just be pure chance but maybe it's a sign the K-1 isn't quite as tough as the K-3.
If anything, this should be a reason to get the separate GPS unit on top rather than built in. This way, $100 replacement versus $300 +.
08-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #78

Smashed mine too 😠

During a portrait shoot Thursday the collar on my 70-200 Sigma opened up (my fault for not latching it securely) which is where I attach my BlackRapid Strap. I was adjusting the client's pose and everything just fell straight down onto the gravel. Being 6'4" it was a fairly high drop.

Tore the lens mount right out of the K-1 (leaving it behind on the Sigma), and the flash (a Yongnuo YN560 II) ripped out the hot shoe and surrounding plastic.

I finished the shoot with my K-3, but I couldn't use the 70-200 since the lens mount was stuck to it. Used my Sigma 24-70 instead, but it and the K-3 don't play nice together (focusing issues) so I was pretty annoyed, but managed OK.

Bad enough I smashed it, worse is that I have a wedding coming up on the 17th. Good news though, since I purchased it with my Amazon Chase Visa, it looks like the damage (or replacement) will be covered. I shipped it off immediately on Friday to Precision Camera with fingers crossed this is resolved in time or I'll have to get a rental.

The flash came out unscathed, and after a while I was able to extract the mount off the Sigma and it too seems none the worse for wear.

My lesson...I'm going to run a back up tether from the collar to the tripod mount so this can never happen again.

09-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #79

Just under $1100 to repair. They wouldn't write it off despite my requests which on many levels would have been the best thing. Hell my car was totaled for a lesser repair/value percentage.

Initially when I agreed to the repair the rep said there was no mention of parts needing to be ordered and I would have it back before my deadline of this Friday. Until they got my money and then suddenly I won't see it back until at least the 30th. Thanks Precision Camera. Sigh.

In the meantime I picked up a set of tethers from BlackRapid so this won't happen again.

09-13-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #80
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Initially when I agreed to the repair the rep said there was no mention of parts needing to be ordered and I would have it back before my deadline of this Friday. Until they got my money and then suddenly I won't see it back until at least the 30th. Thanks Precision Camera.
Sounds like they need some competition for this type of work. Hope you detail your experience as feedback to Ricoh. It may not change anything but this sort of behaviour needs to be highlighted to the client.
09-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought Ricoh was planning to establish it's own repair center in the US. Wonder what happened to that plan.