Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 12:24 AM   #1

Ricoh-Pentax recommendation for K1 specific AF-C tracking settings?

I just started a thread on this topic in Dpreview Pentax forum, after reading a post by Awaldram (I cannot paste the link, it is not allowed by our forum rules).

Quote from Awaldrampost:
PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System
  • This RICOH-original technology is available during viewfinder shooting when the exposure mode is set to Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode is set to Auto Select.
Supported by the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System, the K-1’s Auto Tracking function accurately detects the subject’s motion based on various factors including color, then keeps pinpoint focus on the subject throughout the imaging process by automatically shifting the in-focus point.

In further posts in the same thread, Awaldram shows the back LCD displaying what these settings (buried in submenus) look like.

I dont have a K1, thus I cannot check, only have K3 and K30.

But I remember that enabling the AF-C tracking in K3 required specific settings that where not obvious just by reading the user's manual, and some of the most interesting tips could be found in the product description in Ricoh-Pentax japanese website, avalaible in english, but no direct access from Ricoh-Pentax other areas website. And the AF-C tracking with my K3 improved a lot after I did so.

IMO, it is worth that those of us who have a K1 try some shooting with the settings described by Awaldram and report if there is a noticeable difference in AF-tracking performance.

If K1 AF-C tracking needs this kind of special settings, this would mean:
  • that a complete Ricoh-Pentax AF-C documentation must be developed and made available on Ricoh-Pentax website (maybe it is buried somewhere in the japanese site? )
  • that the camera settings was most probably wrong when passing the DPR bicycle test, and it should be redone;

07-13-2016, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
I just started a thread on this topic in Dpreview Pentax forum, after reading a post by Awaldram (I cannot paste the link, it is not allowed by our forum rules).
We allow links!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
This RICOH-original technology is available during viewfinder shooting when the exposure mode is set to Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode is set to Auto Select.
I think it's important to clarify the distinction between burst shooting with AF-C and "auto tracking" as defined above. If proper tracking were only available in full auto mode, then the K-1 would be seriously flawed (since many settings are not configurable in that mode).

My interpretation of this statement is that in full auto mode, the K-1 will attempt to identify the subject and keep it in focus without any further input from the user (i.e. in the hands of a novice). This would include activation of A-33 mode and AF.A rather than AF.S or AF.C. In other modes, it's up to the user to ensure the camera is configured and operated properly for the intended use, but this can yield better results when done correctly.

After all, why would you want the camera to guess what you're trying to do if you can tell it what to do?

Ultimately I think this blurb from the press release does not imply that there is a hidden combination of settings that improves performance for burst shooting. However, it would still be worth asking a Pentax representative and/or testing this empirically.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Copy the link and insert it here, please
07-13-2016, 05:12 AM   #4

Do you mean this thread: Ricoh-Pentax recommendation for K1 specific AF-C tracking settings?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review?

07-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

i did my own test today an hour ago. Conditions:
1. The lens Pentax FA* 85 f1.4 - screw drive.
2. ISO 800, about 6:30 PM.
3. Av regimen.
4. AF-C SEL9 regimen.
5. Small JPEG (12 Mpix) to not overfill buffer during test shot series.
6. Exposure 1/500.
7. F 5.6.
Result: The best result was 29 in-focus pictures out of 30.
It is more than 95 percent hit rate.
The series of pictures is available on my facebook. User name Mindaugas MG-efoto.
The link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=292179841129560&id=1000101...87&pnref=story
Another real-life test was done with aperture f1.4. 14 shots in series, 12 - in-focus. The last two are out-of-focus and that is logical - very thin DOF. The series is also available on my FB.
The link is here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=292184827795728&id=1000101...87&pnref=story

In my opinion, the best result is when you start shooting the object in-focus already and use AF-C SEL9, not the single point. I did not try SEL25. You simply should keep your moving object in the 9 point focus area during shooting.

Last edited by Medex; 07-13-2016 at 10:02 AM.
07-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

Very interesting Mindaugas. The FA*85 is quite an old lens from the film era? And still you and the K-1 nailed the focus in almost all of the shots...

Very interesting compared to DPR's take on that stuff.
07-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
Very interesting Mindaugas. The FA*85 is quite an old lens from the film era? And still you and the K-1 nailed the focus in almost all of the shots...

Very interesting compared to DPR's take on that stuff.
The Pentax FA*85 f1.4 is very good lens. And it works very well on the K-1. The main "negative" aspect is acceptable purple fringing at apertures 1.4-2.2, maybe until 2.5.

Last edited by Medex; 07-13-2016 at 10:45 AM.
07-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
i did my own test today an hour ago. Conditions:
1. The lens Pentax FA* 85 f1.4 - screw drive.
2. ISO 800, about 6:30 PM.
3. Av regimen.
4. AF-C SEL9 regimen.
5. Small JPEG (12 Mpix) to not overfill buffer during test shot series.
6. Exposure 1/500.
7. F 5.6.
Result: The best result was 29 in-focus pictures out of 30.
It is more than 95 percent hit rate.
The series of pictures is available on my facebook. User name Mindaugas MG-efoto.
The link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=292179841129560&id=1000101...87&pnref=story
Another real-life test was done with aperture f1.4. 14 shots in series, 12 - in-focus. The last two are out-of-focus and that is logical - very thin DOF. The series is also available on my FB.
The link is here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=292184827795728&id=1000101...87&pnref=story

In my opinion, the best result is when you start shooting the object in-focus already and use AF-C SEL9, not the single point. I did not try SEL25. You simply should keep your moving object in the 9 point focus area during shooting.
Your recommendation to use Sel-9 is a good one. I'm not sure who in their right mind would use just a single point for things that move around in the frame

That said, it's considerably more challenging for the camera to keep up with tracking with longer / slower lenses just because of longer throw and shallower dof, plus less available light. That's probably where others have struggled to get perfect accuracy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My interpretation of this statement is that in full auto mode, the K-1 will attempt to identify the subject and keep it in focus without any further input from the user (i.e. in the hands of a novice). This would include activation of A-33 mode and AF.A rather than AF.S or AF.C. In other modes, it's up to the user to ensure the camera is configured and operated properly for the intended use, but this can yield better results when done correctly.
+1. The Ricoh web page blurb is indeed a bit misleading. It almost suggests that scene analysis+ tracking will only work if you leave the camera in full 'Auto' mode. Which is clearly not the case.