Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am encountering more dust that is harder to remove... I am just rocket blasting it but seeming to have a harder time getting rid of spots than I used to with k3/k5

07-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've taken a number of landscapes recently and have not noticed any dust. Which surprises me because my K-3 always seems to have dust. I have used a rocket blower once so far, probably a 1000 shots ago. So, for me so far, the K-1 seems much more resistant to dust. Of course, now that I've said that, I'll start noticing it constantly!
07-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you dont see it @ f-8 leave it alone before you scratch your sensor.The you will cry.
07-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Global warming is creating more dust.

07-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
So I cleaned my sensor with a kit designed for the job. It did not get it clean so I had to use three kits before it was clean and also with a nice litlle scratch on it. Went on vacation and passed by the Swedish Pentax service workshop and I got him to clean the sensor to see if the scratch was not a scratch but it unfortenately was a scratch. Not visible on any photos but it was there...

So, I will send the camera in for cleaning from now on. A new sensor is fitted at a cost way to high to speak of but to be able to sell the camera in the future it needs to have no scratches.

The K-3 I have cleaned several times without any problem but the FF-sensor did not like me. Or maybe it was the beer...

Happy cleaning!
That is why I say if you dont see it @ f/8 dont clean it. Every time you clean it other than blowing or using the Pentax stick you run the risk of scratching it . T he same goes for Lens .So the moral of the story is stop pixel peeping and scrutinizing it looking for dust, unless it jump right out at you leave it alone, in other words get blind
07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had really bad spots on my images so they had to be cleaned off. And now I know what it feels like ruining a brand new sensor and I also know how it feels to pay for a new one. Not the greatest feeling at all. But I felt that I have to let you guys know what may be the result so that maybe one of you does not have to know the feeling at all... And in retrospect I should have let it be since it did not show up in the images and selling it for less on the second hand market. I think I actually had saved a few bucks doing it that way... Well, things happen and you move on one experience richer. =)
you went ahead and sold it?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Edited vulgarity in quoted post
07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I had the sensor exchanged for a new one.
Oh ok thx goodness

08-01-2016, 02:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Is it just me or does the K-1's sensor need cleaning more than other Pentax DSLRs? I rarely need to clean the sensors on my K-3, K20D, or K10D. Seems like I'm cleaning the K-1's sensor just about every week. Yes, the dust removal is set for both startup and shutdown.
I've been using the K-1 for over 3 months. It's shutter count is about 25,000. Nearly all of those are outdoors, and I have often changed lenses outdoors.

I have never seen any indication of dirt on the sensor, and I certainly haven't taken any special action to remove any. But I take obvious precautions when changing lenses.
08-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I had really bad spots on my images so they had to be cleaned off. And now I know what it feels like ruining a brand new sensor and I also know how it feels to pay for a new one. Not the greatest feeling at all. But I felt that I have to let you guys know what may be the result so that maybe one of you does not have to know the feeling at all... And in retrospect I should have let it be since it did not show up in the images and selling it for less on the second hand market. I think I actually had saved a few bucks doing it that way... Well, things happen and you move on one experience richer. =)
What happened?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Edit vulgarity in quoted post
08-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Is it just me or does the K-1's sensor need cleaning more than other Pentax DSLRs? I rarely need to clean the sensors on my K-3, K20D, or K10D. Seems like I'm cleaning the K-1's sensor just about every week. Yes, the dust removal is set for both startup and shutdown.
My first photos with Pentax happened in 1966. I have never cleaned a sensor, never have seen any dust on a sensor. I must be lucky!
08-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A foreign particle must have landed on the drying swab or the swab was bad. I really do not know.
that is why I USE Q-TIPS never had a problem yet
11-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I've had one hair like spot in the upper left corner, and big oval spot under the center area for about a month. I'm sure it was due to frequent lens changing indoors and outdoors.
I did not want to take a risk to clean myself my precious camera, and called the service center. No one answered.
Then it took me literally no more than 3 minutes to clean the sensor carefully with the blower following the manual.
All dust is gone. Saved around $45 (according to the reviews for that repair center)
11-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done a few air cleanings, using a loupe to find the specs and blast them directly but no wet cleanings yet.
Doesn't seem like any more than whatever camera I'm using in the field the most.
11-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I did it yesterday with success thanks to eyelead system.. I shall use only that kind of cleaning the dust on my K-1's sensor from now on...
11-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #30
Forum Member

In 5 months of use 8K exposures, with the K1, I have found it to be a bit more prone to dust than say a D810 or D750 Nikon.

So far I have had to blow off the sensor a few times, and it needed one wet clean. Used Eclipse and Visible Orange swab. No problems with the cleaning.

Lots of lens changes and all outdoor work.

Paul Caldwell