Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Thanks for that detailed explanation of the problem WPRESTO, which has has been a confusing issue for some time now. One thing I couldn't understand was why it wasn't just possible to switch to a manual zoom setting ..... but it seems that the Metz units cannot ignore the format that is registered ?

07-15-2016, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #17

Thanks for posting the fix. I have updated the firmware on my Metz 58-2 and it now works perfectly with the K1.
07-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When I tested my Metz 52 on a K1 in FF mode, it would not discharge (=the camera would not trigger the flash). However, if the menu option "extended flash" is selected on the Metz, the 52 worked correctly, perfectly. This was the clue that the problem with older pTTL strobes involved communicating the correct focal length or flash width to the camera. Older after-market pTTL strobes communicate an APS-C appropriate flash width for the FL on a K1 in FF mode, which would be too narrow, so the camera refuses to trigger the flash. The "extended flash" option on high-end Metz units puts out a one-unit FL wider beam, which the K1 interprets as correct for the FL of lens or zoom position in use when in FF mode. Predictably, IF "extended flash" is NOT selected, AND IF the K1 is in crop mode, the flash works perfectly*. The firmware updates for those Metz units that have a USB port corrects this focal-length problem.

*50mm lens on K1 in FF mode, Metz attached in pTTL with no options selected, flash will not discharge; switch K1 to crop mode, flash discharges with correct pTTL exposure and coverage; switch camera back to FF mode AND select "extended flash" on the Metz, flash discharges with correct pTTL exposure and coverage.
I believe this is incorrect. The Metz 52 AF-1, with V1.3 firmware, works perfectly with my K1, and it's in "standard" zoom mode, not "extended". And "extended mode" is NOT the appropriate way to account for sensor size. It seems you should instead set "zoom-size" to "on" in the options menu.

From the manual: "Certain types of digital cameras allow the display for the position of the reflector to be adjusted to chip-format (dimensions of the recording module) using the Zoom Size function".

Although it sounds like this may only change the focal length displayed on the Metz screen, that is not the case. I tried shooting a blank wall with "Zoom Size" turned off and on, and both reported the correct FL (as set on my DFA 28-105). However, the flash coverage with Zoom Size turned Off was significantly reduced.

As far as I can see, the Metz 52 AF-1 works perfectly on the K1 when the "Zoom Size" option is set to "On". Irrespective, in no case did my Metz refuse to fire.
07-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I believe this is incorrect. The Metz 52 AF-1, with V1.3 firmware, works perfectly with my K1, and it's in "standard" zoom mode, not "extended". And "extended mode" is NOT the appropriate way to account for sensor size. It seems you should instead set "zoom-size" to "on" in the options menu.

From the manual: "Certain types of digital cameras allow the display for the position of the reflector to be adjusted to chip-format (dimensions of the recording module) using the Zoom Size function".

Although it sounds like this may only change the focal length displayed on the Metz screen, that is not the case. I tried shooting a blank wall with "Zoom Size" turned off and on, and both reported the correct FL (as set on my DFA 28-105). However, the flash coverage with Zoom Size turned Off was significantly reduced.

As far as I can see, the Metz 52 AF-1 works perfectly on the K1 when the "Zoom Size" option is set to "On". Irrespective, in no case did my Metz refuse to fire.
The description I gave of how my K1 + Metz 52 is precisely how they worked together when I tested them back in May. However, I'm not sure what firmware the K1 had then or has now, so I'll have to check.

07-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The description I gave of how my K1 + Metz 52 is precisely how they worked together when I tested them back in May. However, I'm not sure what firmware the K1 had then or has now, so I'll have to check.
My K1 has V1.10, my Metz has V1.3.
07-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I believe this is incorrect. The Metz 52 AF-1, with V1.3 firmware, works perfectly with my K1,
Very true. K-1 + Metz 52-AF1 work fine together in FF mode, as has been already discussed in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/325593-k-1-wireless-flash.html

As mentioned in the other thread, these settings with K-1 and 52 AF-1 work fine for me:

Metz 52-AF1 (firmware v1.3)
- Menu > Mode > P-TTL
- Menu > Option > Zoom Size: Off
- Menu > Option > Zoom Mode: Standard

K-1 (firmware v1.10):
- X mode
- Flash On
- FF mode

Lens:
- Tamron 28-75
07-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. The K1 has version v1.10. The Metz I'm not sure - will upgrade if it isn't v1.3

07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting. I have also updated my Metz 58AF-2 and it works a treat on firmware 5.0.
07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Very true. K-1 + Metz 52-AF1 work fine together in FF mode, as has been already discussed in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/325593-k-1-wireless-flash.html

Metz 52-AF1 (firmware v1.3)
- Menu > Mode > P-TTL
- Menu > Option > Zoom Size: Off
- Menu > Option > Zoom Mode: Standard
I found I got more even coverage with zoom size on.
07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Metz 52 is operating on v1.1. My attempts to install v1.3 have so far failed, possibly because my computers are running Windows 10, but the Firmware upgrade appears to require Windows XP or 7. Consequently I pulled out my 20 year old laptop that has Windows XP and tried. No luck, the install program refused to run.
07-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #26
Pentaxian

My Metz 52 is operating on v1.1. My attempts to install v1.3 have so far failed, possibly because my computers are running Windows 10, but the Firmware upgrade appears to require Windows XP or 7. Consequently I pulled out my 20 year old laptop that has Windows XP and tried. No luck, the install program refused to run.
I have macs, so I use my wife's Windows 7 machine for Metz upgrades.

Can you run in compatibility mode?
07-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have just run the install on win10 but initially had some compatibility problems before it worked.
Is the computer recognising the flash when plugged in ?
07-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #28

K50 + metz 44

Just updated using Win 10 - no problems and now working fine
07-16-2016, 12:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Ran the update on my 58 AF2 and it now works like a charm. The first time I ran the update utility on a Win 10 PC I got an error message, but after closing it and restarting the update everything went well.

After my previous experiments I had left the "Zoom Ext" inte the on-position so I had to reset it to off in order to have the flash unit showing correct focal length. Now everything works and exposures are as they should be in P-TTL.

Thanks for making the update available this quickly.
07-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #30
Unregistered User

Do you have the drivers for the flash correctly installed on the computer? This was a problem for me, it did not take the first time so I switched to another usb port for it to reinstall. Also the fact that the batteries should be taken out and flash set to off.

Important is to run the driver install file before connecting the flash.