Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I recieve an answer, but i think they arentnt good news

*Disclaimer: I contacted via the their spanish webpage.

" Dear Mr. Jimenez,
Many thanks for your e-mail as of 12. Aug. 2016.

I am sorry my Spanish is not as good as it should. Therefore I answer in English.

Basically the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital for Pentax also can be used together with the digital-camera Pentax K-1. Thereby the flash unit has to be updated to firmware version 5.0. If the flash unit was updated the firmware version is displayed after switching on of the flash unit. In this case the flash unit shows "58AF-2 Pen V5.0" below the Metz logo.

If the flash unit is loaded with the version 5.0 the flash functions of the Pentax K-1 such as the P-TTL-flash-mode will be enabled. However, unfortunately the Pentax K-1 isn’t equipped with the control of the autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit. Therefore the AF-measuring beam of the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital and also of the comparable flash units from Pentax such as AF540FGZ und AF360FGZ isn’t controlled by the camera. Normally the Pentax K-1 works with the built-in AF-measuring beam. This can’t be changed by the firmware of the external flash unit.
Best regards

i.A. Roland Lämmermann
Technical support "

So there it is, the flash beam doesnt not work, not because Metz cant make it work, its because the Pentax K1 cant use it due lack of the nessesary software and this cant be changed.
Thanks for the answer virusn3t

08-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
... "However, unfortunately the Pentax K-1 isn’t equipped with the control of the autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit." ...
I don't think that part is 100% correct.

On the one hand it is true that the K-1 does not activate the AF-assist light of the older Pentax FGZ flash models. On the other hand, I understand that it activates the AF-assist light of the newer Pentax FGZ II flash models.

Hence, rather than being "incapable" in principle, the K-1 has been designed to only cooperate with a very few select flash models.

Metz could attempt to make their AF-assist lights be activated by the new protocol, however, that may lead to incompatibilities with almost every other Pentax camera. I think people should be knocking at Ricoh's door.
08-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #63

I updated my K-1 as well as my 48-AF1 to the latest firmware last night. Two things I noticed was that the flash zoomed to 50mm when the camera lens was at 50 and on full frame. Switching to crop mode the flash changes to 70mm. The other one was when I switched on the camera's light, the flash lcd also was illuminated.

Took a couple of test shots at full frame and crop: all in order.
08-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
I updated my K-1 as well as my 48-AF1 to the latest firmware last night.
Note that apparently the Metz 45 AF-1 and 50 AF-1 lose their ability to be used on analogue TTL film cameras.

To most flash owners, that will mean nothing, but some perhaps do still use film cameras and the V6 trigger also relies on the analogue TTL functionality for remote power level control. Interestingly, other Metz models do not lose the functionality after the upgrade.

08-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Note that apparently the Metz 45 AF-1 and 50 AF-1 lose their ability to be used on analogue TTL film cameras.

To most flash owners, that will mean nothing, but some perhaps do still use film cameras and the V6 trigger also relies on the analogue TTL functionality for remote power level control. Interestingly, other Metz models do not lose the functionality after the upgrade.
I have the Metz AF64, which also has no Analog TTL. The fact that 4 out of 5 of my Pentax dedicated flashes will not work well with the V6 power level control has made that feature next to useless. It is a well-made trigger, but if I had it to do over again, I don't think I'd pick that system. If one already owns the V6, then pick flashes accordingly. If one already owns a stable of flashes which won't work with the V6, then pick the trigger accordingly.
08-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If one already owns the V6, then pick flashes accordingly. If one already owns a stable of flashes which won't work with the V6, then pick the trigger accordingly.
That's sound advice, of course. You seem to have an unfortunate selection of third-party flashes because all the major Pentax flashes and a large number of third-party flashes are supported by the V6. I guess you have explored using similar profiles and/or learning the flashes? However, if they don't support analogue TTL then the V6 just can't handle them.

FWIW, the V6II cannot handle analogue TTL anymore but instead talks to flashes digitally. Hence the Metz 64 AF-1 is supported by the V6II (including HSS).
08-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's sound advice, of course. You seem to have an unfortunate selection of third-party flashes because all the major Pentax flashes and a large number of third-party flashes are supported by the V6. I guess you have explored using similar profiles and/or learning the flashes? However, if they don't support analogue TTL then the V6 just can't handle them.

FWIW, the V6II cannot handle analogue TTL anymore but instead talks to flashes digitally. Hence the Metz 64 AF-1 is supported by the V6II (including HSS).
It is unfortunate, but my collection is not too exotic. I have recent Sigma and Metz flashes (which are pretty common Pentax alternatives), the original AF540FGZ and an older AF400T handle flash. There is no hope for the Sigma and Metz flashes on the V6, because they do not support analog TTL.

I had expected the older AF400T to be the big winner, but it was not. Manual settings are used in the training procedure, and the manual settings of the AF400T are limited and do not mesh well with the V6 training. As a result, the AF400T will actually only offer a couple of power levels (one not even a full stop from the other) even when trained. The only flash I own which works well with the V6 is the original AF540.

Does the V6II as a receiver work well with the power commands and channels of the V6 transmitter? Having blown $300 on these things already, if buying another one or two makes the investment work more as intended, it might be worth it.

08-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I had expected the older AF400T to be the big winner, but it was not. Manual settings are used in the training procedure, and the manual settings of the AF400T are limited and do not mesh well with the V6 training.
Two manual levels only make profiling a challenge. You should be able to skip the non-supported levels in the training but in any event such a profile will not be very accurate.

Have you tried another Pentax profile for a flash with a similar guide number?
That could result in something usable, even if the guide numbers aren't that close.
What happens when you use the AF 360 FGZ profile, for instance?

One last thing you could try is to "cheat" in the training. If you happen to have a one-stop ND filter, you can use that in front of the flash when the training asks for 1/2 power. You could just leave the flash at 1/1 power and simulate the 1/2 (and other) level(s) with filter(s), or -- but now it gets really hacky -- by altering the distance of the flash to the bounce surface. Increasing the distance by a factor of ~1.4 (square root of 2) should halve the light intensity. In practice, this won't work precisely because the flash pattern isn't entirely even and you'll get additional room bounce, etc. But, heck, I'd try it. It won't cost anything except a bit of battery charge and 30min of time, or so.

Does the V6II as a receiver work well with the power commands and channels of the V6 transmitter?
It should, but I guess at this point no one knows yet. Cactus have posted that they are planning to release a firmware for the V6 that will make it compatible with the V6II. I was a beta-tester for the V6II but have never seen even an alpha version of that V6 firmware.

Given their past choices, I expect Cactus to provide as much compatibility as possible. They already said that a V6 won't be able to function as an HSS receiver, but they will make it capable of being a PowerSync receiver if one uses a V6II sender.

From a technical perspective I don't see why a V6 sender should not be able to instruct a V6II receiver to fire a digital flash with a certain power level and zoom setting. Whether the V6 firmware update will actually support this scenario remains to be seen, though.
08-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Interesting point about the 'analogue TTL' function being needed for V6 remote power control ...... I believed that the newer Pentax AF-360/540FGZII models were fully supported, and they do not have the old TTL mode .... ?
08-16-2016, 02:27 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I believed that the newer Pentax AF-360/540FGZII models were fully supported, and they do not have the old TTL mode .... ?
They are supported.

They were said to not support analogue TTL but they do, at least to an extent so that the V6 can control them.
08-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Thanks That's good to know. I guess there must be some technological leftovers still in them from the old versions ..... I hope to be able to try it out one day, once I upgrade to the V6II, and my current V6 transforms into a new role as receiver for the Pentax flashes .

Do you know ClassA, has the V6II become compatible with the V6, at least for the standard triggering and remote power control functions? If I'm correct, this was waiting for a firmware update, but I can't remember for which (or both) V6 types ... ?

Just remembered something .... when I've been using my AF-540FGZII on the V6 in 'TTL Pass-through' mode, I have occasionally seen the flash mode come up (on the flash display) as 'TTL' ..... I was puzzled as the flash does not have that mode ...... in theory.
08-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Do you know ClassA, has the V6II become compatible with the V6, at least for the standard triggering and remote power control functions?
I guess the V6II already is up to date, but for sure the V6 has not received the required firmware update yet. Once the V6 firmware update is available, the V6 will definitely be able to operate as a PowerSync receiver, but it will never be an HSS receiver.

Cactus mentioned a release target of October for the V6 update on their community forum. Seems like a hefty delay; I guess there is a reason for it but my guess is as good as yours.

Just remembered something .... when I've been using my AF-540FGZII on the V6 in 'TTL Pass-through' mode, I have occasionally seen the flash mode come up (on the flash display) as 'TTL' ..... I was puzzled as the flash does not have that mode ...... in theory.
Seems like "in practice" it still does have the mode.

Perhaps Ricoh thought that no one would use the mode anymore and removed it from the user interface but did not want to take any risks by removing any further code.
12-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #73

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Metz 58 af-2 flash would not fire on the K1 with firmware 3.0.
I was unable to download and open firmware version 5.0 to a MacBook using the updated High Sierra operating system, despite using the Metz Mac download envelope.
It did download and open using a PC and the Metz PC download envelope, and the flash seems to be functioning fine on the K1 now.
I contacted Metz in Germany, and was instructed to contact Manfrotto USA, but neither of them seemed to know (or care) that the firmware update for Mac could not actually be opened using the newest Mac High Sierra operating system. I hope that this saves some PF members some aggravation.
07-11-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #74

Not straightforward for Mac users

Just bought a new 58 AF-2 and found it has the problems described at the start of this thread when using it with my K-1ii. It came with firmware version 3. Installing v5 did the trick but installing it was not that easy so here is a note for Mac users in case you need it. The USB utility installs ok but the FirmwareUpdater.app quits as soon as it runs (you have to control-click and click run to get it to run at all the first time). To run it you need to control-click and click on Show Package Contents then navigate to Contents>MacOs and double click on FU-Template2. This runs a Terminal window and then the actual updater runs with no problems. Obvious really ...
07-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the one hand it is true that the K-1 does not activate the AF-assist light of the older Pentax FGZ flash models. On the other hand, I understand that it activates the AF-assist light of the newer Pentax FGZ II flash models.
Hence, rather than being "incapable" in principle, the K-1 has been designed to only cooperate with a very few select flash models.
Metz could attempt to make their AF-assist lights be activated by the new protocol, however, that may lead to incompatibilities with almost every other Pentax camera. I think people should be knocking at Ricoh's door.
Sad to see that only the FGZ II models offer the AF assist lighton the K-1.
AF Assist light is not available with the AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ - PentaxForums.com