Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Quickly formatting SD card

I have a habit of reformatting my SD card every time I am done uploading pictures.

Is there a quicker way to do it on the K-1 other than diving through the menus? By my count it is 12 button presses to reformat. I was hoping there was a way to assign one of the user-settable buttons to bring up the Format menu but it doesn't seem like that is an option.

Any other tips for speeding up this process?

07-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe that you can set one of the FX buttons to be a quick/one press format button.
07-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I believe that you can set one of the FX buttons to be a quick/one press format button.
That was my hope but it seems like the Fx buttons can only be set to a limited number of functions and reformat is not one of them. Unless I am missing something...?
07-20-2016, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Forum Member

On my K-5 I have set custom setting 24 to save the last menu location. Since I rarely go to the menus, and I always reformat the SD card after I've transferred the files, the menu button usually opens at the format function. I'm not sure if this is the best way to easily reformat on a K-1, but it works for me on the K-5.

07-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
That was my hope but it seems like the Fx buttons can only be set to a limited number of functions and reformat is not one of them. Unless I am missing something...?
Check out page 98 - 100 in the manual.

Here's a link to it online. https://www.scribd.com/doc/306646761/K-1-Operating-Manual#fullscreen&from_embed

Its called one push format
07-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That's to change the file format (JPEG, RAW, RAW+); not to format the card.
07-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
On my K-5 I have set custom setting 24 to save the last menu location. Since I rarely go to the menus, and I always reformat the SD card after I've transferred the files, the menu button usually opens at the format function. I'm not sure if this is the best way to easily reformat on a K-1, but it works for me on the K-5.
This is exactly what I do. Did it on my K5 and the K1 also has this built in. Just hit the menu button, and you're in the menu with the format option. No need to jump through hoops to get to the format function within the menu.

07-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
I believe this would be the fastest solution. Not exactly what the OP asked for but the best available method. I shudder just a bit at having a dedicated 'format' button. I am quite confident I would manage to press that by accident.

I also format a card every time it goes into the camera. And I have the menu set to 'stick' as @foxhead suggests. So it is just a couple button presses most of the time. And if more, well I think formatting should be something done with deliberation and intention, not a casual button press. YMMV.
07-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's to change the file format (JPEG, RAW, RAW+); not to format the card.
Ahh so it is. thanks for the correction.
07-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The simpler it is to format to card, the simpler it is to lose all your work.
07-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
I'm not sure I really agree with that. Obviously there should be a confirmation step or two, but is 4 button presses really more likely to result in lost work than 12?
07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Personally I find it very simple to use the menu and just format the card or cards. It only takes a matter of seconds and is not password related. I suppose we all are entitled to our own preferences.
07-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Then they should make it impossible. I don't want to lose all my work!
07-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have a habit of reformatting my SD card every time I am done uploading pictures.

Is there a quicker way to do it on the K-1 other than diving through the menus? By my count it is 12 button presses to reformat. I was hoping there was a way to assign one of the user-settable buttons to bring up the Format menu but it doesn't seem like that is an option.

A fast way to do this would probably end up being disastrous for many users.

You can, however, easily format the card using your PC once you're done transferring files, whether you're using a card reader or a direct USB connection.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know the K-1 menus as I don't have one, but on my K-5 and K-5 II, it's only 6 button presses, not 12, to get to the Format menu item plus two more to actually format. I go backwards and up, back 5 times and up once to be at the Format menu. It becomes automatic after a while.