Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Just noticed this on my K1

I suppose I'm slow at times and other K1 owners probably already know this. I discovered the view finder overlay (grid,etc.) is always on, regardless of whether or not the camera power switch is on or off. The display goes dim when the LCD overlay lacks power (dead battery or battery is removed). This means there is constant power consumption regardless of power switch being on/off and possibly one of the reasons there have been some complaints of less than stellar battery life.

07-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I suppose I'm slow at times and other K1 owners probably already know this. I discovered the view finder overlay (grid,etc.) is always on, regardless of whether or not the camera power switch is on or off. The display goes dim when the LCD overlay lacks power (dead battery or battery is removed). This means there is constant power consumption regardless of power switch being on/off and possibly one of the reasons there have been some complaints of less than stellar battery life.
B/W LCD's barely use any power. Nikon keeps their top LCDs on at all times, not a big deal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just checked mine, been sitting overnight switched off, and the OVF was completely blank.
Switched it on then off and the overlay stays visible. Checked again after a few mins and overlay still visible.
I pulled the battery and then replaced it and OVF is blank again, so it looks like it doesn't stay on indefinitely with camera switched off.

Cheers,
Terry
07-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The consumption is so low that similar LCDs can run several years on a cheap CR2032 battery.

07-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

The clock probably draws more power than the LCD.