Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

K-1 Memory Card Error

I get this message almost every time I take the camera out. Usually more than 40 photographs.

Memory card error card slot 2.

Not yet had it on slot 1.

Occurs on different cards and manufacturers and high quality cards.

Turn off and on usually removes the problem for that day of shooting.
Sometimes need to leave it off for a few seconds more for a second time then it is okay.

07-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try blowing out the card slot. It could be dust on the contacts. (Use your breath or a rocket blower, not canned air. You don't want to spray any liquid in there.)

07-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Use your breath
You don't want to spray any liquid in there
I wouldn't use your breath as it can and usually does have moisture with it. But blower would be fine.
07-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I wouldn't use your breath as it can and usually does have moisture with it. But blower would be fine.
Years ago I read an article talking about moisture in your breath, only it was in reference to Nintendo game cartridges. What I remember is that for a quick, fast blast you really don't deposit much moisture, and any you do would dissipate quickly.

I agree the rocket blower would be best, but I have blown pocket lint out of the microSD slot on my phone many times and I haven't had any ill effects. I definitely wouldn't recommend a slow puff like you're trying to fog a window though.

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 12:10 AM ----------

Just to point out, I would not EVER blow into the sensor chamber. Electrical contacts are one thing, but a microscopic photosites on a delicate sensor are another thing entirely.

07-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Try blowing out the card slot. It could be dust on the contacts. (Use your breath or a rocket blower, not canned air. You don't want to spray any liquid in there.)
Good idea. I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Will report back either way after the next photo session, probably within two weeks.
07-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem when using micro-SD card in an adaptor. Occasionally a picture failed to write. With regular sized SD card the problem is not observed.
07-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I had the same problem when using micro-SD card in an adaptor. Occasionally a picture failed to write. With regular sized SD card the problem is not observed.
I've had issues with cheap microSD adapters as well. SanDisk adapters are the best I've found, but it's still another potential failure point that full size SD cards don't have. I have two 64 GB PNY microSD cards in SanDisk adapters working great in my K-3, but if I made money through my pictures I'd probably be using full size SD cards.

07-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't want liquid in your camera, your breath is the last thing you want. Canned gas is fine if used carefully.
07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Years ago I read an article talking about moisture in your breath
I didn't read an article, my photography professor in college said your breath is a no no. I tend to believe one who actually was a person with years of experience to tell me that rather than some one I don't know writing about it on the net.
07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you don't want liquid in your camera, your breath is the last thing you want. Canned gas is fine if used carefully.
Quite so! Any blast of air from pursed lips that's strong enough to dislodge dust deep in an SD slot is highly likely to come with some spit. And if the camera isn't body-temperature warm, even a spit-free blast is likely to cause condensation.
07-27-2016, 05:24 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by divert Quote
I get this message almost every time I take the camera out. Usually more than 40 photographs.

Memory card error card slot 2.

Not yet had it on slot 1.

Occurs on different cards and manufacturers and high quality cards.

Turn off and on usually removes the problem for that day of shooting.
Sometimes need to leave it off for a few seconds more for a second time then it is okay.

Just had almost the exact same issue occur on my K1 that arrived a few days ago. I used a brand new 64GB card and got the error on slot 1 after using it for a little bit. I swapped it with a older 16 GB in my K5 working so far but I haven't had time to test it.

For a test I am going to take the 64GB card that I got the error and use it on my K5 and then order another 64 GB card for the K1.
07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
dvo

Hi,
I am having lots of problems with various SD cards in Pentax K-1. It usually writes photos on the cards but doesn't read it back. When I switch camera off and on again, I can display one or two pictures until error message: Cannot display picture'' appears again. When I put card in the computer pictures are usually there.

These are not working in K-1 - all are tested in PC (windows and H2tesw software), new, genuine (Amazon.co.uk) and working fine in other cameras (2012 panasonic waterproof camera...oh well)
- Kingston SDXC 128GB
SDHC/SDXC UHS-I U3 SD Card - 32GB-256GB | Kingston
- Kingston micro SD 64GB
- Lexar 633x micro SD 128GB
LexarŽ High-Performance 633x microSDHC?/microSDXC? UHS-I cards | Lexar
- Sandisk extreme micro SD 128GB
https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extreme-microsd

Last one Sandisk extreme micro SD - I have also 64GB version which is working fine - how weird!. The only one working reliably so far is full size Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB.

I have last version of firmware 1.10, reseted camera. Both slots are giving same error.
I have contacted Pentax support - had 3 generic (understand not helpful at all) answers - like make sure you are using UHS-1 card etc. (when I specifically mentioned to them what cards I tested so far and that they all are UHS-1 class).

Any solution anybody?
07-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvo Quote
all are tested in PC
Just a suggestion: if you are going to format the SD cards in Windows, only format them all using this tool:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Otherwise, I would always recommend formatting any SD card only in the camera you intend to use it in.

For what it's worth, my [conservative] recommendation with K-1/K-3 cards is to: just stick with normal size SD cards (no microSD with adapter), use cards no larger than 32GB, and use SanDisk Extreme Pro's.
07-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
Good idea. Tried blowing out with a rocket blower and unfortunately there was no change.

My problem occurs with 64GB and 32GB cards.

The cards appear to work correctly in my K-3.

And no problem in slot 1.
07-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not just that. I then moved the card over to my new Lumia and she also reported problems with the card - though in a more polite way than K-1 did. So apparently faulty cards are quite frequent tehese days. I got this card as a replacement for another card that failed me earlier.

I've had issues with cheap microSD adapters as well. SanDisk adapters are the best I've found, but it's still another potential failure point that full size SD cards don't have. I have two 64 GB PNY microSD cards in SanDisk adapters working great in my K-3, but if I made money through my pictures I'd probably be using full size SD cards.